BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Detroit: Canary in the mine?

If you need a reason, excuse, or a kick in the hindquarters to help you get serious about living a sustainable lifestyle then here's a quick look into the future:

Detroit is probably a leader in the nation. "Leader" as in the first reap the destruction sown in previous generations. They are the "future" of the U.S. of A.The bankrupt city is bulldozing entire neighborhoods which can no longer be supported but the latest news is about cutting off resident's water for non-payment.

Here in Texas, we're no strangers to water wars but in cities like Detroit, next to a great lake, the war that is looming will be rooted in the uprising of the dependent classes of people who have grown to expect someone else to take care of their needs.

The UN says that water is a "human right" and that providers shouldn't turn it off for non payment. If you have your own well or spring, you know the value, and the expense of procuring this precious commodity. If you don't "pay" to maintain your resource do you expect anyone to step in and take care of you?

This post is not about water - though water is a focal point. This post is about seeing into the future. Detroit IS the future.

One of many stories about the water crisis on lake Erie.

Have a nice day!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM

I read your post earlier today and had some time to absorb it some.

When reading the article the first thing that stood out for me was the average water bill in that city of $65 per month. I've never had city water and had no idea the cost was that much. Heck at $65 per month times one year is plenty enough for me to replace my water pump every year!

The next thing that stood out for me was this paragraph:

Quote:
A coalition of welfare rights organizations — including the Detroit People’s Water Board — appealed to the United Nations to have service restored to customers and to prevent more shutoffs.
Something else I've never heard of - welfare rights organizations? Huh - who knew.....

But I guess the gist of this subject is how dependent city people are on these types of services. The more I read the article the more it made me feel so much more secure having my own spring water supply. But it looks like something is definitely brewing in that city. Will this come down to riots?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM

very thought provoking.

It is not just city people though.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Not to worry. Severe dehydration will lend itself to only very slow, lethargic riots.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM

We, unfortunately, live in the city.

Water bills have been a sore subject.

When I moved in, about 17 years ago, the quarterly water bill was around $30 and the quarterly sewer bill was under $10. Back then, trash collection was "free".

Now, the combined quarterly bill for all three is over $200 and approaching $250.

A big part of it is the EPA. Like most older cities, the sewer system combines sanitary and storm sewers. When we get heavy rains, it overwhelms the system and the overflow is conveniently dumped into Lake Erie. That admittedly causes all sorts of problems, but you can imagine what it's going to cost to completely revamp the existing sewer system, parts of which are likely 100 years old, to comply with modern requirements. All that money has to come from consumers and businesses and, of course, most of it will be squandered on the usual inefficiency and corruption that comes with the near total control of local government by a single political party for the better part of a century.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.