BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Outdoor living:

The table the laptop is shown sitting on folds up for storage

[IMG][/IMG]

or down to a shorter height as needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

5-gallon buckets with aluminum tops are tables with trash receptacles

[IMG][/IMG]

Yeah, I'm old enough to know better but it's LOTS of fun riding the wagon down the hill! Brian rode the big plastic dump-bed wagon down, wish I'd gotten pics of that!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Cooking out for a small crowd,

[IMG][/IMG]

a big crowd,

[IMG][/IMG]

or just ourselves, we love to pick veggies from the garden and toss them on the grill! No garden this year, I was planning to fire up the repair business at Dad's shop location and put all my efforts in on that front.

[IMG][/IMG]

Brian made all the grills, the small one has a hinged top for easy cleaning. He likes 3/16" - 1/4" materials so they should last our lifetime. He made the big bench, and all the pokers, tongs, etc.

The dogs love outdoor living too!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Our little house, we were using an RV furnace to heat before we got the cookstove, and the stack with heat reclaimer is what's coming out the side with the door.

[IMG][/IMG]

Syd's place, she shopped online with us and chose this one specially. She liked all the doors and has been busy practicing emergency drills taking the clamps off the door latches so she can get out if she needs to... She gets out any time she WANTS to, beware getting a cockatoo!

[IMG][/IMG]

Syd's travel cage, she's inspecting one of the 4 frames we built a couple years ago, about 3/4 of the frame is actually shown. She was told if she didn't destroy it, she could go places. She's been very careful with it - and she can easily break the cruddy welds on the birdcage that came with her. It was waay to small, birds need to extend their wings fully and flap for circulation and health, hence the new one. Beware getting a cockatoo - they are expensive on many levels, you wouldn't BELIEVE the vet bills...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Why we love it here:

The winter view, our big dog, as a puppy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Greening up in spring, Rambo's ready to joust. He's good at it too!

[IMG][/IMG]

Flooding a couple years ago, we sat out and watched the water coming up
(Taken with a telephoto lens, the houses are about a mile away. If the water gets up to us there's BIG trouble out there!)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 PM

Hope there's useful stuff in this thread, in return for all I've learned here I was a member on this site for some time, forgot my info... Mostly I didn't have much useful to post at the time so I just lurked around learning from so many knowledgeable folks!

I'll put up some of our renewable energy stuff too, not sure where that belongs but we have some neat projects going on in the shop that would be appropriate here someplace.

BIG thanks to all you supporting members for all the reference material here, this has been a goto site for me for a long time now.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Looking for my avatar, just realized I'm GREEN and I can have one! Thanks for my confirmed status!!! Uploaded one but it's not showing up on my posts, thinking it might show up on posts I make AFTER uploading it?

Nope, probly my settings, better check.

Yup, "edit options", "show avatar". I'm AVATAR'ed!!!

That's cockatoo Syd hamming it up for an old time photo at a local fourth of July celebration a few years ago. She just loves fireworks and loads right up to go. She's anxiously awaiting the trip tomorrow to see them Can't MAKE her go, that involves a big towel, lots of screaming and maybe a nasty bite. She likes to go to the fair and ride the carousal (merry-go-round with horses), eat the food, see the live bands and exhibits, and visit with friends including "Skittels", a McCaw who often takes HIS people to the fair. The fire nixed that this year. We'll go next year.

We were watching a small child get a photo done - poor thing was terrified of the camera! Syd really loves having her picture taken, expects to have the result posted where she can admire it and agreed to let the attendants handle her (NO ONE handles Syd in public, gets everyone grabbing at her and she licks her feathers to clean!) so she could 'dress-up', a favored game.

She felt she wouldn't be scared of the camera but she sure was when it got close! I was right there and reminded her it hadn't eaten the child so she'd be ok. She settled in and posed prettily instead of dumping all excess weight (birds poop on takeoff, she tells us "That's what HAPPENS!") and flying around screaming. That's never popular.

Have I said beware getting a cockatoo? Like living with a 4-6 year old kid who can live 100 years, give or take 20. Syd's 24. We've been together 23 years. We're 48. The math is not good. The first 10 years were REALLY difficult. (Screaming at 10 decibels less than a 747 on takeoff for hours, tantrums, biting, pooping on my head and laughing, tearing stuff up, getting the cops called for noise, I do mean REALLY difficult!) She will be ok. We take our responsibilities to Syd VERY seriously.

She's just a charmer on early weekend mornings: "Briaaan.... BRIAAAAN! Aren't you going to get UP? Time to GET UP!!!" is the usual routine at 6am...

Last edited by rj5156; 07-04-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM

We started with crude wiring, alligator clips with a 12volt socket on the other end, to a battery, same deal with a small inverter. Little cords everyplace, gadgets that declined to work if they were too close together and so on. Brian's been busy. Tidied up all the loose cords, hung stuff on the wall so our precious flat surface is mostly clear. Put in a 110 power strip for our new communications center, phone and internet might yet go DC but that's not high on the list. (Some things with "wall warts" are actually converting AC to DC, Brian inspects stuff like that and feeds it DC as it likes, rather than inverting DC to AC so the wall wart can convert it BACK to DC!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed two pairs of 12 volt sockets that screw to the wall and put a fuse in the line. That leaves us a couple spares to charge cell phones, etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

The TV, it's antenna booster and fan are all direct 12volt. The heater is a recent addition, it got COLD, down in the 50s lately at night! We run our portable buddy heater to warm the living area then leave it on pilot overnight and we're comfy - unless Gabby opens the door to go out and pee. The heater shuts off it sniffs bad stuff in the air, we leave a door cracked for the kitten to go out and pee since he can't make it all night, and there are two fresh air vents into the truck box to boot.

[IMG][/IMG]

The battery configuration we think we'll like. Brian replaced the inverter and reduced the draw significantly.

[IMG][/IMG]

We're using about 7 amps / hour during peak usage hours. Syd's TV draws a couple amps if I recall, and the antenna booster might take another amp or two. She gets maybe 9 hours a day viewing time, mostly Q-BO, children's programming, dedicated to learning and good values. Animal characters do everyday stuff like riding buses, driving cars, etc. in Syd's world. These characters face challenges relevant to Syd's world, she just loves it!

Brian's got her going on re-runs, The Rifleman is just IT, but she likes Columbo and other detectives, MASH, and many more. We like the cooking, nature and NOVA shows on PBS and she's good with those too. Syd says she'd get in a rocket and go up in space right NOW if she could... She views TV as interactive, warning the good guys "Watch out!" singing along with music and so on. At this point she gets that people go to work and act for TV, her dream job nowadays. (The Chronicles of Narnia showed behind the scenes features that cleared this up for her.)

Our solar panels hit a max of around 15 amps on bright sunny days, that I've seen. We're not quite making as much as we use, but we're pretty close!

We have two, 180watt panels on the house and run the things we're using now plus an electronic dog perimeter system, a battery charger for the dog collars and a little UV light on our water filter when it's running. With the bulldog forklift battery, we're in great shape with the house system! We could up our solar harvest with an MPPT charge controller but haven't needed to do that. Might get around to it someday, might add panels, might just be happy since it all works so well as is.

Last edited by rj5156; 07-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Living small means living neat, if we ever hope to find anything! We're getting crammed in, bringing things we really need into the area and finding homes for them right away! I seem to spend a lot of time putting things away and getting them back out. No leaving something "until I get back to it" right now...

We're using those industrial shelves as wisely as we can, years of apartment dwelling left me with a nice collection of storage units that help break up the space into more useful sizes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cardboard boxes help too! The cleanup folks said ALL our food would be written off and thrown away, I scurried through and collected a supply from the pantry to spare us any 'emergencies' while all that is happening! Canned goods are fine, expect the labels hold stink is why they toss them? Dry goods are not yummy any more, we're replacing that stuff only as we need it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got a little kitchen going on, recycled a clear, heavy-duty shower curtain and the hooks that didn't melt from the gazebo to get a wind/rain break in light rain/wind. We've GOT to have our spices, rescued some well-sealed bottles from the house, if they get rained on they'll be fine.

Between the small collection of pans, plates, etc. I tucked on wire shelves at the end of the industrial unit and what I've tucked under the little table by the stove we're doing fairly well - except a mouse moved into the stove in storage and we'll be pressure-washing it before we try baking again, pheew! We just baked our pizza in the house when we learned that, thank GOODNESS I didn't hurt the stove hosing it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Close to final layout for sink/laundry when new generator and stuff gets here for shade canopy. We'll move the pop-up over the stove around the corner, strap it to the milk truck box and move the reliable wringer washer and spare tubs in with it.

Brian had a set of washtubs he used for prospecting that we used for a sink when we first moved here, but wanted those back, said I couldn't keep them for a kitchen sink, folks got us washer and tubs one Christmas, got my washtub sink with a HOSE in the house after all, good thing during the fire! I'll borrow Brian's tubs back, he shares them with his Dad too, but Larry isn't planning any prospecting trips until fall.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Stormy weather today, lots of wind! I feel secure in the truck box, we're not under limbs that might drop on us but the area the stove is in under the pop-up, and the adjoining sink set-up are DIRECTLY under some limbs I wouldn't like hitting me on the head! Cats think they're safe under the pop-up or table, I think they're not! Hauled them all in the house and shut the door...

Cell-internet is a drag in cloudy weather. Comes and goes, bogs and slogs. On pretty days it really moves along! The walmart phone service goes better than the Verizon land-line the folks had years ago, with lines strung through the persimmon tree, even on bad days. The land-line service at our place features lines running down ditches beside the road, and across a hay field where it gets cut sometimes when they mow the hay. Walmart service DEFINITELY beats that! Get some lag and echo on cruddy days but so far it always works acceptably well.

The cell-booster pamphlet says not to put other little electronic devices too close as it could cause interference. Boy was that an understatement! The TV remote sitting on the bench under it killed the signal dead. Cell phones have to be 4-5 feet away to avoid interference.

The shade canopy stuff back-ordered, Brian called last week and asked them to send the fittings and whatever tarps they had, told them we REALLY need them! It arrived yesterday, only short one side shade-tarp. We've got the posts for it stored at a friend's place so we'll be ready to set that up probably this weekend.

The holiday slowed deliveries but when I called about our battery charger to see when it might arrive so we'd be sure someone was there to unload it they said they read the note Brian added to the order saying we'd had a fire and would appreciate anything they could do to expedite the order. John had moved us to the front of the line and it SHIPPED on the 1st! It arrived later on the same day.

Our generator should arrive today or tomorrow. It's cheaper for us to get a propane fridge than it is to get another generator to power refrigeration (AND feed the second generator gasoline over a month or two) while we work on the house - no battery use there until after the 30th of this month so we need backup there. I'm on it, found a great deal with free shipping - and a 2% discount for bank check. That's why we need all the energy independence we can get in our camp, can't have the generator in two places at once... I hate to run a generator anyhow. It's absolutely SILENT out here most of the time except for the birds and that's a big reason I want to live so far out!

The coolers and ice are getting to be a real drag, trips to town to get ice, sanitizing it all the time, lose the food if we aren't right on it. We had a bitty fridge but we'll need to keep more food once the work starts and we're feeding our crew - we ALWAYS feed the help, we get a better class of help that way

We've learned to ask about discounts for paying by check or bank transfer instead of credit card, saved the insurance company a fair bit so far with that, at no inconvenience to us. We have stuff shipped to the shop any time shipping is cheaper - or even free - to a business address. We shop carefully for the best price with shipping included and are working to minimize costs every way we can. We LOVE Indiana Farmers!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 PM

We've lost weight in spite of loading up on all the easy calories (bad for us stuff like Recees peanut butter cups and cookies) and managing to eat pretty well in spite of it all. We've both had a summer cold, miserable but not completely debilitating.

Syd is happy having her 'flock' packed in together but elected to skip a usually beloved outing to see the fireworks at Delaney Park, three miles down the hill. Says she's had plenty of excitement. She still has some 'night frights', think she wakes up and doesn't know where she is. Birds can be badly injured during night frights and having us right beside her to reassure her it's ok is a big help.

The dogs remain on high alert, have nightmares, and wake up confused and disoriented sometimes, though less often. Gabby woke us at 3am Monday morning in acute distress with an ear infection. We got up, warmed her ear wash, treated her ears and got back to bed by 4:30am if not back to sleep. One of the hard-shelled pincher bugs had gotten lost in our bed and took a little hunk out of my leg as soon as I got back in bed... (Gabby had a bad ear infection first time we had her, should have been checking on that...) She's not a good patient, have to muzzle her and then SIT on her! She's been hiding in Rambo's crate to avoid further treatments but we're on it now.

Sheeba and Cleo are coming to visit our camp now, and eating catfood here but they are NOT moving in. They haunted the door to the house until I finally let them in with windows and doors open. Now they herd us toward the house, they want their people in it too. Velcro has his summer cold, snotting along, glassy eyed and feverish. He's finally miserable enough to take his antibiotics. He'd been hanging out halfway down the hill shown in the view photos, his deer and coons came and bedded down with him, tending him, but they can't make him well... I don't like to get too close to THAT, afraid of getting trampled by a skittish deer!

We got to bed before 9pm for the first time since the fire last night! We'll have baked pork chops, boiled potatoes and some of Mom's canned garden veggies, likely greens, for supper tonight!

Brian has our milk truck box nearly ready to move the kitchen set-up into, we'll do that AFTER we get the shade canopy up since the pop-up shelter we're using now is right in front of the doors and we can't move big stuff until it's gone around the corner. We have enough battery power to run our lights in the house so we can see to work in there, just a little job to set that up.

We have a 15watt panel on the house we can put on the batteries (from the weather station we don't need right now) and are charging batteries on our big solar panels too. I drag them around in my little red wagon my MIL gave me a couple years ago, closer to the ground than my big dump-bed wagon. I'm no longer allowed to use a wheelbarrow but that's another story

Still looking for treated plywood for the Harbor Freight solar panel mounts, might be a trip to Menard's in Bloomington, about an hour away and I'm ready to pay a pet sitter so Brian and I can have a day out together. Think everyone's settled enough to behave for a sitter now.

Renee
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

What we're usually doing with our spare time:

Here's some of what we've developed and hope to bring our apprentices up to help us with. This is Brian's work and he's done some nice stuff:

Our measured and tracked wind speed is about 10 mph. Commercial windmills max out power production at around 30 mph wind speed. No help to us. Brian built this around a generator motor he had tucked in a corner, wound the coils to maximize output at OUR wind speed. He made the tower on a hinged base, his work is elegant. It's held up well, like to have three more of them in our yard. Be time to start on the electric car then...

Here it is riding out hurricane Ike when it passed through, yup we were out in it taking photos like dummies... Gotta get trees cut to harvest max wind here.

[IMG][/IMG]

Read all about the build here if you're interested:

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg916497

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg916515

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg841745

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg841800

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg916559

www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...html#msg917018
Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM

This is a prototype for a parabolic trough to heat water. Krappgame was involved with the project. Few of these would heat our house nicely! We can tie it all together with a radiator with fan system, put a thermostat on to kick on the gas water heater when the sun goes down and cut our heat bills from almost nothing to, well closer to nothing We are looking at a complete combustion stove build that can heat the water for the system as well. We're not often bored.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 PM

These are cheap and fun to make. They will take stucco or other concrete finishes, or just the waterproofing membrane products. Brian figured all that trigonometry to fit it in 3D... I want one with a roundy-round clothesline in it, a solar heat box attached to speed-dry clothes! We can plumb it in and heat it when the sun isn't shining too.

[IMG][/IMG]

The original mother earth heat grabber plans are freely offered here:

www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...t-Grabber.aspx

We've really developed a nice model based on these plans. (Don't seem to have a photo of our model on this computer, might remember to look for it and edit a pic in later.) And we couldn't find folks to make them for us. Hence, I raise help... It's already fun and it keeps getting more fun all the time!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Recent shop job. Barrel handling track for Brown and Forman's expansion at the Alabama plant. We're only doing the little, precision parts. Everyone gets to play, we've had the apprentices in to see the prints and compare them to the pile of parts on a skid already. They get to take a field trip to see the BIG frame that is being fabricated nearby too. That's good because I really want to see it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Our apprentices sure were a lot of help!

[IMG][/IMG]

Build shots:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Another build we did, this machine turns rolls of plastic into tubes, seals them full of styrofoam peanuts and spits 'em out!

The beast wouldn't fit in the barn, we built it in pieces!

[IMG][/IMG]

The form collar that handles the plastic.

[IMG][/IMG]

cool build shot:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Apprentice projects:

Jon boat was missing a corner:

[IMG][/IMG]

They made a pattern from a cupcake box:

[IMG][/IMG]

Used some sophisticated tools:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Brian's Dad welded it on, his project after all

[IMG][/IMG]

Beautiful work! We sure are proud of them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM

I asked apprentices to build a simple lathe. I provided a pile of stuff, v-blocks, tie-down straps, a couple of hand-crank drills, some wood scraps, etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't help them. I didn't offer advice. I did ask if they thought they could get hurt very bad with their buddy cranking the drill, "They'll stop if you get caught or pinched, right?" I asked. Worried faces all around... The videos will show us some safety things. We will watch these together and talk about what we need to consider before putting a motor on our lathe
Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Here's the link to the metalmeet site where I posted this stuff in far more detail if anyone's REALLY interested

www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11194

I didn't have to sign in to view it.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM

What I'd be doing if I wasn't dealing with fire damage... We were poised for apprentices to begin making and selling these locally, with optional upgrades like polished stainless mirrors and metal instead of cardboard construction. This model will be offered as a kit to local schools - who will have to PAY for them since they won't work with us in any way, or even reply to email offers of collaboration for mutual benefit on projects like this.

We built solar hot dog roasters in our applied sciences class at SHA a couple years ago. We saved our first model but it was in sad shape after spending time in storage. Our apprentices took the model apart and put it back together using tape to locate the parts, and hot glue to stick it together better.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was no easy task, many hands were needed to hold everything in place!

[IMG][/IMG]

The hot dog skewer was lost somehow in transport. Apprentices made a new one. Again, not an easy task! First a model was made from a coathanger to get measurements, then the real deal was made.

[IMG][/IMG]

Our cooker has a tall side and a short side. We calculated this so that it would align properly with our latitude, 37 degrees if I remember correctly. The reflective stuff is a plastic material. If we cover it up and keep all our heat inside we can MELT the plastic stuff - we know this because we had too much success with another experiment that focused the heat on a black tube of water that circulated around as it got hotter.

Our youngest member measured, cut metal to length and then bent it and smoothed any sharp edges or corners to make a long angle to support the ends of our contraption. This assured our alignment with the sun at our latitude. I hate that I didn't get pictures of him making the pieces. Here the angle is being held in place while the hot glue dries. He also made a shorter angle to support the shorter side.

[IMG][/IMG]