BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Thats my way of thinking also.
Get busy living or get busy pouting huh? :
You seem to have a handle on recovery.

Good luck to you folks.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM

About the only thing we can REALLY control is what we choose to think, Texanne and in this kind of situation we like to believe we have control of something! Mostly we've been too busy to get all het-up, and I seem to have burned up all the chemicals for getting excited... Maybe it's just been a perspective adjustment? We have always tried to be positive thinkers and it sure helps us right now.

Shade tarps advertised to block 85% of sun. We know we won't get as much shade as we had with my redneck setup but we can open doors without moving tarps and have shade even when it's windy. That's a compromise we can live with!

Simple tools are our favorite. Cutting chain link fence grade pipe to fit the tarps we got.

Laying it all out.

Putting it all together.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Had to dig a couple legs in the ground a bit, Smokey cat says he can help! He peed in the hole...

One tarp back-ordered, the space beside the small side tarp will be filled as soon as the last tarp arrives.

Got everything rearranged! Now we can get all doors open and get serious about clearing out the milk truck box so we can move the stove and kitchen stuff into it. At that point we're weatherproof!

We are thinking about putting a silver tarp on the top, already got one that will fit. Brian built in about 6" of slope so water should drain off. We've got one of the tarp buildings with metal frame and bungee's holding light tarps on it. It's been remarkably durable. Couple differences, the roof on that one is peaked, the sides are closed in, it's lots shorter and the tarps are far lighter. We're worried if we put a heavy tarp that high up with our wind pattern it will turn into a BIG kite! We're also concerned water could still pond on the tarp even with the fall. We could put grommets in to drain water as needed.

Anybody tried anything like this before? We'd sure love to learn from someone else's experience before we try the big tarp on top
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Another cleaning company today. They won't be coming back... I have had lots of trouble with men who don't like women "bossing" them and today was just another boring example. They couldn't hear a word I said and had everything decided about where they were going to put my stuff, didn't feel we'd need an estimate, and so on. I just walked off.

Brian doesn't fret over that sort of thing cause he knows he'll get it his way when it comes down to it. It's always bad to be the minority and with four men I didn't actually exist while they were here. Brian gets sucked in to some extent but he's better than ANY man I've been in this situation with. Dad and Brian are mostly oblivious to the social stuff and honestly I am too unless I'm the one suffering. When I told him that men who treat me bad when he is PRESENT always treat me lots worse when he isn't and they aren't welcome back he said "Yes of course!"

I'm not any better in group situations. I don't have much in common with most women and I am always THRILLED when I find some I can relate to. When I'm with a group that has women I can talk to I catch myself ignoring the men to the point of rudeness. :-S

I KNOW I'll get paid more to do it if I have an estimate than I will by billing by the hour, which is acceptable to our adjuster. (I care about this because I've experienced discrimination in pay for years and I'm faster and better at cleaning than anyone I've ever worked with. I'm worth more than the professionals, I'll work harder)! I'll even pay for the estimate after the fact if I can get one. My response is the following email to potential companies who might help me. See what that gets me.

Hello,

We had a house fire three weeks ago and due to an unfortunate experience with another company have not yet begun cleanup. Our insurance adjustor tells us they need an estimate on cleaning contents and the interior before work can begin. We heard from another cleanup company that "this is not standard, usually we just bill by the hour." We are hoping you can do an estimate on cleaning the contents and interior of our home and work can actually begin. We have minimal sooting as the fire damage is to the structure and exterior of the home. We are beginning to have mold and mildew due to the delays in cleaning. This is not an emergency! We live between Salem and Brownstown Indiana.

The exterior of our home is made of foam-core building panels, with stained T-111 on the exterior walls, polyurethane T-111 on finished interior walls and 5-rib heavy roofing metal on the roof. Multiple panels will need to be replaced, this involves a crane and experienced crew. Roofing metal and a chimney boot will also need to be replaced. Due to damage to an exterior wall a fairly large section of ceramic tile will need to be replaced after exterior construction is completed. If your business has any experience with these materials we need quotes on that work as well.

My name is Renée, I own and operate a custom industrial fabrication and repair business. I am experiencing problems in the evaluation process, with crews entirely made up of men who don't seem to be used to working for women. I will want at least one other female present for any and all evaluation / work being done in my home. I will be present and am accustomed to directing employees and my role may need to be explained to male employees. My name is Renée, I do answer to Ma'am. "Honey" or other terms of endearment are unacceptable, PERIOD. I pay the bills I get to make decisions.

I will be present whenever crews are in my home, working on cleaning items appropriately managed in my home and have OSHA approved respirators for my protection until the air quality can be addressed. This is necessary to help cover depreciation to the structure and I enjoy restoration work, especially if I get to keep it! I probably have better quality painting equipment than you do, with many years experience using it, and plan to do that myself, an estimate would be appreciated for this but is not necessary. Product recommendations would be appreciated but not required.

We have a storage facility we will be using for our cleaned household goods and this is not negotiable. We'd appreciate a bid on storage so we know what that's worth to our insurance company. We do plan to do jobs suitable to our shop capability ourselves, restoring cast-iron ware, etc. and this is not negotiable. Estimates on this work might be helpful if your crew has any experience dealing with this sort of job but are not needed.

We will require MSDS for all chemicals to be used inside our home or for cleaning our household goods in advance of work beginning, and the freedom to choose different chemicals should we find any of these unacceptable. My husband and I are both extremely sensitive to chemicals in everyday items, deodorant is a huge challenge for us along with soaps, cleaning chemicals, etc. Our 24-year-old cockatoo can be killed by chemicals and we take this far more seriously than we can generally communicate.

We need a company that can at least do interior cleaning, content cleaning, address air quality and mold/mildew. We are off-grid and our battery has been quarantined until the 1st of August. Our generator caused the fire so we have NO power in the house at all. Once our home power system is restored after that date we still won't have 110 power, we operate almost exclusively on a 12 volt system with only small 110 inverters for point of use powering small appliances. If any of this is a problem please save us both time and just delete my email.

We know you aren't responsible for problems we have experienced with another company and hope you aren't put off by our specific requirements. If you can help us by providing an estimate as our insurance requires and then actually begin work so we can reclaim our home we'd LOVE to hear from you!

Sincerely,

Renée
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM

I got two very nice responses to my inquiries today. (I sent out four.) Both thanked me for being right up front about what we wanted. Bet they get some poor treatment themselves. One was sorry we were too far away from them for them to be able to work with us, transport time and costs were a problem for "A Nicer Reflection" but Deborah Wilkerson (owner) was VERY informative and helpful. Another wasn't prepared to deal with the lack of power but again Angela King of King's-Quality Restoration thanked me for specifying what we needed done and was very helpful. I sent both of them nice "Thank You" emails.

They both told me that:

"Most fire and soot clean up is priced using Xactimate pricing program, which is a program set up by insurance companies and most restoration companies use this or similar pricing programs. This allows restoration to begin immediately which in turn we are able to save most content. Although every insurance company is different and policies are set up between you and your agent, it is unusual to need to have an estimate before work can begin on a covered fire damage."

This didn't surprise us. I replied to both of them:

"We did wonder about the requirement for an estimate as we were hearing this isn't the norm. I can see both sides of the issue, we deal with estimating jobs all the time. It's hard to estimate how much time it will take to fix a hay baler until we get it opened up and see what all might be wrong. Naturally the farmer wants to know if it is worth fixing the baler before putting a lot of money into it!

I think our insurance company is trying to keep costs down. Our coverage and service has just been an unbelievably good experience overall. I am surprised they haven't come up with companies who will work with them on the estimate issue. I will be sure to suggest that they do this to improve the customer experience with their business."

I'm underwhelmed. I manage to work with customers all the time on this issue. If it needs looked into first, they often help me get stuff taken apart so we can BOTH see what needs done. I'll do this with regular customers and if it's just not worth fixing I won't bill them. I make out on the jobs where it IS worth fixing and regular customers don't waste our time. I run the rest of them off. We have a procedure for dealing with those who want to waste our time getting free instructions or tear-downs and then skip out. We send them to Jerry Mattox. Jerry Mattox sends them to Steve Burnett. Steve Burnett sends them to Brian and his Dad, Larry. Brian and Larry send them to us. And so on. Seems fair to run them around a little bit for wasting our time

I COULD bid the cleanup on our house but I don't need to. We can just bill the work by the hour. We've been offered a nice hourly wage by the insurance adjuster and we'll just do it ourselves. I think he wants us to do it ourselves to be sure we cover the depreciation on the structure of the home itself.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:10 PM

We had NOT planned our set-up around doing all the cleanup ourselves. This is a whole 'nother ball of wax and we're taking up the challenge with enthusiasm. I don't want to "dog-out" our generator on the cleanup. We average four hours a WEEK run-time on our generator and the cleanup would put way more hours on it that I'm comfortable with. We are pricing rental vs purchase price. Thinking I'm for renting. No maintenance, just haul it in for exchange if there are any problems.

The adjuster is fine with our paying for storage, we can use a commercial unit or pay family what the unit would cost. Brian thought it might be cheaper to buy another of our beloved semi-truck boxes when I suggested renting one of the commercial "rent-to-own" sheds and storing our stuff HERE where we won't be dragging it back and forth. Easier to get the house empty and easier to clean it as it's convenient here than to try and run it all over creation. We're attached to our stuff. We like being able to get to it. We've already got the tote and label system in good order after years of living in a construction zone so I'm liking the idea of keeping it on the place.

Not sure what four - five months rental on a commercial unit would be, bet it will take us at least that long and maybe longer. Brian's buddy runs the scrap yard. He'll take care of us if we ask for a plain old un-insulated, weatherproof model. He delivers too. Save everyone money, save us a lot of time - and best of all we'd get to KEEP the unit!!! We just love those kinds of solutions. Problem-solving is what we DO when ya get right down to it, and solving our own problems is always the most fun for us!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM

On the home front it's been interesting. We've gotten nearly three inches of rain in two days and more is coming. The fenced area with the little pop-up over the stove, where the dogs go was my garden last year. (pickin up poo, get out what ya put in and we feed VERY good dogfood so it's not too bad I had put newspaper down on bare dirt then piled on the straw and kept it moist with a soaker hose as needed. We're sinking into the mire now... Gotta get the kitchen in the milk truck box next.

The dog pack is having issues. We have kept them safe but have not been able to meet their emotional needs. Last night we let them all out in the fenced area and just sat with them. They had been whining at the gate, felt banished from the pack and didn't know what they did wrong Half an hour made a huge difference, they all slept a lot better last night.

Gabby is a gettin forgetful. She barrels through my recycled screen over the big doors, gets caught in it, falls down the steps and won't "WOAH" on command. This is the most important thing we teach our dogs. Might save their lives one day. Second most important is to wait for permission to charge through doors, again it can save their lives. Gabby hadn't had to follow these rules and it's a big problem now. She misses having a crate, her owner took it away years ago. We've always got one dog whining wanting in a crate...

We don't really have room for another crate but we'll squeeze it in anyhow. Gabby came charging out through the screen, tore it all up, stepped on Fidget and hurt her bad enough that Fidget chased Gabby around the outside of the fenced area tearing hunks of fur out of her all the way. Gabby was confused, scared and upset. Fidget is STILL mad. Fidget loves her dogs so this is major. We've been mosquito-free and the screen business is major too, Syd is a bird and birds can get West Nile.

Brian picked up orange construction fence today. We'll run it around the base of the screen enclosure with a couple gates. Dogs can be right underfoot, the whole pile of them, as usual, soon as that's done. Pack togetherness is what it's all about for them and they haven't even had a lot of dog-togetherness of late. They're suffering badly. This will fix it.

We put in a kiddie/pet gate so Gabby can't get out the back doors and hurt herself or someone else. It's closer to the back, leaves lots of room for a dog in the bigger front half. We'll get set to flip the bed up to the wall soon, leaving more room for doggie togetherness. Meantime we can leave them in the front with access to the fenced area and shut the gate when it ISN'T convenient to have them underfoot. Like when we're moving stuff out of the milk-truck box.

Found Fidget in the crisped shed, curled up asleep in the debris. She LOVED that shed and we both just cried over that one. We're letting Sheeba and Cleo in the house when the doors and windows are open. We left room for "kitty nooks" on the shelves and will offer Fidget the new "kitchen" area for a temporary shed.

Syd is allowing the Smokey kitten to play on TOP of her cage. Strictly forbidden but Syd's just fine with it and won't tell on him. She'll rat the other's out in a heartbeat most of the time, not sure what's up with this. Bear let himself out the gate yesterday and Syd hollered until I came and collected him. Nobody fusses around here without a reason, even the dogs don't whine unless they need something - crates are a privilege, they're thrilled to be in them.

We're starting to get ourselves collected. I believe it's been a month tomorrow... This rates as a major life event on the scale of catastrophe's and health risks. Too much trauma can kill a body! We better try not to have any more for a long time since we had a couple other events with illness in the family and my upcoming job-change and weren't too far past some deaths in the family and Brian's job change.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Priced storage in Salem, WOW is it ever pricey!!! Our adjuster will do a happy dance when we ask about a $300-$500 used semi-truck box (delivered) and mention there won't be any gas or mileage since we'll just put it here

I'll do a happy dance in anticipation! We always wanted three of these in a "U" shape. Put insulated underpinning and doors at the corners, set trusses over the two parallel arms and roof the middle, drag out the concrete mixer and pour the floor, instant shop! Well, not instant but three well-insulated walls, a roof and a floor for dirt-cheap. Call it a good start. Maybe next year!

I always did LIKE lemonade
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM

The construction barricade did a great job. Dogs were so thrilled to be with us and each other, probably in reverse order Gabby top right (shepherd mix), Jake bottom (rott), Rambo left (shepherd mix).

Jake keeps everyone's faces clean. Bear is helping him show Gabby how this is done. Rambo helped Jake show Bear how it was done when Bear arrived. Cleanliness is next to dogginess according to Jake. He'll wash the cats too.

The LAST cleanup bunch went on about having to run a generator 24/7 to power sophisticated "air scrubber" units and how we'd have to fill the generator for them and yada, yada. Here's Brian's answer. HEPA filter on a box fan, plug in an inverter, hook up a battery. It's a PIG, sucking the juice but Brian can charge batteries at work, they're thrilled there is something they can do that is helpful. Right now that's very helpful!

Our air was dramatically better in minutes. It's fit to breathe and we can start work as soon as we get our kitchen collected.

Last edited by rj5156; 07-15-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 PM

Brian remarked about halfway through emptying the milk truck box that he'd spent YEARS getting all the tools, materials and supplies he needed to work on this place out here and organized... It was all neatly stowed, labeled and stacked in a 7' X 18 1/2' box, so everything could be gotten to if needed. It took eight s-10 loads to haul it all out.

Looked like a disaster zone for a little while. First rule of organizing, cleaning and moving according to Brian is that it always gets worse before it gets better.

But it cleaned up real nice, Brian scrubbed and mopped with "Greased Lightning" orange citrus cleaner. Got all the oil, homemade bug spray, gas and SMELL out! We pressure washed and painted it when we got it so it's in good shape. Brian told me to pick out the tools I thought we might need. I kept at least one of everything including the pitchfork, pick, posthole diggers and snow shovel, and two or more of the important things like fishing poles, sledge hammers and such!

Lots of improvements to go but we can make a cup of coffee without getting mud between our toes. We already had a minimum of cooking stuff so we'll be off and running tomorrow.

Brian is bringing boxes tomorrow after work so I can start loading up stuff we really won't need out here until we're completely done. That stuff goes into the newly emptied store front at Brian's shop. No one had been trying to run it anyhow and it will hold our large items, cleaned clothes and collection of "just in case" things we don't need this round.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 PM

The generator is home!!!! YAY! Brian says it's photogenic and even looks fast It gets great reviews from folks who use them hard. There are a few complaints. It's expensive. It's HEAVY. It doesn't roll well on rough terrain. Otherwise everyone adores them.

The back inspection panel, which must be removed to check and fill the oil has two phillips head screws holding it. Brian is taking the screws to work with him tomorrow. He will tig-weld stainless wing tabs to them. Says he'll take pics. They'll be winged thumb-screws when he gets home.

It shipped without oil in it. Have to pick some yama-lube up in Seymour tomorrow. They only had one quart in stock when we ordered the generator and we'd have had to pay shipping on a $6 quart of oil so we decided we'd get it locally.

It only weighs 200 pounds. I could get my end of it no problem. Brian didn't have any trouble unloading it by himself. (I've heard friends mention the time he picked up 800 pounds of forklift battery and walked off with it but he claims 400lbs is his max comfortable load. He IS a horse, always has been.) The wheels don't swivel, probably why it doesn't roll well on rough terrain. Brian just picked up one end and moved it over. It WAS expensive. We hope we love it as much as everyone else loves theirs.

Last edited by rj5156; 07-15-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM

We are making awesome progress because of the people who love us. I said something not long ago, to the effect that having a terminal illness is an opportunity to learn how much you are loved and to learn to let the people who love you do things to help you.

Well, a fire is a like that too... Dad was here within an hour of my calling to tell him we were moving EVERYTHING out of the milk truck box instead of just enough stuff to cram a stove in. He loaded, hauled and unloaded stuff, AND got the generator ready for us to use today.

Brian's folks have worked hard to get a place cleared out for us to store stuff. Friends and family FED us the first weeks. It's hard for us to be helped. We'd really rather do it ourselves. Sometimes life takes that away.

My folks did my laundry the first week. It wouldn't have gotten done otherwise and I hope I've thanked everyone who has been right here helping us such that they know what it really means to us.

This has been a huge experience in gratitude for us. We have so much to be thankful for, and we were grateful for what we do have to begin with!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM

About the cleaning estimate business:

Insurance is a bureaucracy. Our local agents shopped for us the best coverage and the best deal they could get with a bigger company. This happens to be Indiana Farmers, a fairly small company. They only operate in Indiana. Our agents will go to bat for us if there are ANY problems with the insurance company. Since agents have lots of customers they refer to Indiana Farmers, they've got leverage. They try to choose companies they won't have to fight with of course. Good time to check with folks who've had claims with YOUR insurance company, we'll be writing very nice reviews for ours!

Indiana Farmers is trying to keep costs down for all of us, and profits up for them naturally. Our adjuster is actually working to help us. The whole group, agents, adjuster and the investigator who came to see what started the fire, have been shepherding us along like the small, lost children we felt like the first day. They know the drill, we are learning to trust them and just follow along - if not blindly They have ALL been exceptionally good handling traumatized people (us), reassuring us "it's going to be ok. It might take a while but you have plenty of coverage and you will get through this." "The investigation might be an inconvenience to you but it won't affect you directly. You will be just fine, we will take care of any court battles if it comes to that. You might be asked to testify but you won't be hassled or responsible for this." "Let us know what you need as soon as you figure it out! We can help." "Here, lets get you money, you're going to need it." and so on. Just unbelievable.

I think asking for estimates is reasonable. Cleaning companies make lots of money on VICTIMS and their insurance companies by padding the hours and this appears to be pretty common based on my little research project online. They also lose, damage and just STEAL a lot of people's stuff too.

I could estimate it. If I was a business that did this every day I could easily do a very good estimate! X number of square feet to be cleaned and painted, sub-divided by surface type, wood, tile, etc. X pounds of soft goods to be laundered at $1 a pound, and it's not too bad so say it needs run through twice, not three or four times. X volume of books to be wiped and perhaps ozoned. X pieces of hard furniture, X pieces of soft to be cleaned and deodorized as appropriate. X volume of submersible and non-submersible household goods, food to be inventoried, personal possessions to be cleaned.

They do KNOW about how long it takes to do their job and how the time required is impacted by soot, water etc! Unless they're stupid - and who wants stupid people cleaning their stuff? I'd add some to cover unforeseen problems, maybe the laundry has to be washed three times. I do this for business work and if I beat my estimate I tell the customer and give them a lower price! Wish everyone did business like we do. Wishing for utopia I guess.

I think I can do it in a couple months MYSELF. I have no experience with this so I'm not even being asked for an estimate. I can just log hours and supplies and that's what I'll do. Bet we can build that much-touted "ozone chamber" if we think we need it, and far more cheaply than the use is billed at!

I believe the cleaning companies are kicking about estimates because they don't want to put 3-5 hours into looking through the stuff we need cleaned to make the estimate. It's an expense to estimate work and would cut into their profit... I'd pay for the estimate to eliminate that problem. Indiana Farmers knows it costs between $6,000 and $10,000 per floor for cleanup. They understand we will have to provide electricity and it will cost more for us. They would be fine with unexpected stuff that drove the cost up. They're just asking for a ballpark idea. They have to liquidate assets for this and other claims. They'd like to know how much they need to keep in the bank as money to be ready. I like how they do business.

If I wasn't so p*****d with the cleaning companies racket I'd pursue getting an estimate. They have come to heel when we tell them we HAVE to have an estimate but by the time they agree to do their job we're too angry to want them doing it in our home!!! When we press, they say: "We usually just bill as we go, most companies are fine with this." Well, we could get so-and-so to look it over and spend a few hours writing up an estimate..." (reluctantly and unenthusiastically - but they can do it, have done it and will do it if forced.) Since this is specifically what we asked for when we called them in we're irritated at having to ask again, when they send people out who have no intention of doing what we ask - and only push us to sign open, blind contracts instead.

They're wasting my time, my stuff is mildewing while they drag their feet and they KNOW this! They figure we'll just sign under pressure. I have decided that it's not a fight I'm interested in taking on. I have other battles I care far more about, and this one is being fought in our courts every day.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj5156 View Post
We are making awesome progress because of the people who love us. I said something not long ago, to the effect that having a terminal illness is an opportunity to learn how much you are loved and to learn to let the people who love you do things to help you.

Well, a fire is a like that too... Dad was here within an hour of my calling to tell him we were moving EVERYTHING out of the milk truck box instead of just enough stuff to cram a stove in. He loaded, hauled and unloaded stuff, AND got the generator ready for us to use today.

Brian's folks have worked hard to get a place cleared out for us to store stuff. Friends and family FED us the first weeks. It's hard for us to be helped. We'd really rather do it ourselves. Sometimes life takes that away.

My folks did my laundry the first week. It wouldn't have gotten done otherwise and I hope I've thanked everyone who has been right here helping us such that they know what it really means to us.

This has been a huge experience in gratitude for us. We have so much to be thankful for, and we were grateful for what we do have to begin with!
I have learned that lesson also.
Amazing how life hands us things to sharpen our metal.
And if it hadnt been for friends,durning a horrible time in my life I wouldnt have made it alone.
Fire is a terrifying master.
Prayers for your recovery.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM

We thank you for your prayers Txanne!

I read many years ago that someone did a research project and PROVED that patients who are prayed for get better faster, have fewer complications and have more complete recovery than those who aren't prayed for. "When science finally peers over the mountain of knowledge, it will find that religion has been sitting there all along." Don't remember who said that, but I think it was a scientist.

We are respecting our grief and trauma. I'm starting to dream about it. Working it out on the subconscious level I guess. We need more sleep than usual, maybe that's why.

We keep choosing to view this as an adventure, an opportunity to improve our selves and our shared life. It's not always easy but what we think does determine how we feel so we keep on choosing to think positive thoughts!

We've both lived in small spaces before and that's huge in getting it together right now. Living right on top of each other isn't new to us and we sure do like each other so it's going pretty well. We're going to leave our camp all set up. Everyone who has been so helpful will be invited to come stay in it for a vacation!

Renee
Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Our Syd bird is quite the builder herself. She's been working very hard lately! The yellow ring used to be one of the kids bead balls, coated wires with plastic beads were fastened to the yellow ring. Syd takes all that off, uses the beads as hand toys, weaves the wire shapes around her cage bars and makes a dreadful racket with them at 6am. This is her latest project with the ring. I saw her sitting on a perch under this, half the bird THROUGH the ring a couple days ago. She's got it all done to suit a bird now and took the perch loose somehow.

She worked really hard to get the chain toy wrapped around a bird ladder her Aunt Janet sent her for Christmas one year. Presents from Aunt Janet are highly prized, accepted immediately instead of after long consideration, and made to last - Christmas only comes once a year!

Syd's blanket hasn't made it through the wash yet. She's making do with a tablecloth, a towel and a sheet wrapped around the outside. The blanket is a BIG deal, birds get cold, need a private place and love to "preen" stuff. She helps me get it all tucked in and then arranges it to suit. We'll get her blanket back to her soon... Usually keep a teddy bear in it for her to sit on and snuggle, need a new one since I don't want to give her bad fire chemicals. She's being patient with us.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Boxes are special too. Brian got moving boxes for us and opened one up for Syd. Big deal for a little bird!

Syd has nice manners. She's thanking Brian for the box.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Starting work on the kitchen area.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Further refinements.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Our redneck patio.

Wing screws so we don't have to keep a screwdriver with the generator!

Works great