BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
. I do keep looking at the solar panel set but, if I look around I am sure I can come up with a better system on Amazon.
I recently did a comparison and one can do much better from a vendor on Amazon. This kit is 60w vs. 45w of HF for $125 shipped vs HF $200.

http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Monocry...02L3XUQ70M87BV

If you click on the vendor name "Renogy Solar" you'll see all their different offerings including both monocrystalline and polycrystalline plus many different kits and single items.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Harbor Freight is hit and miss. Some stuff is awesome and cheap. Other stuff you wonder how it survived shipping. Hand tools are actually in general good quality for the money. I have a couple sets of their sockets I use professionally, a 3/4" drive set from Snap-On is over $1,000. From HF it was $150 I think. Which one is in my tool box do you think? Their air tools are not as powerful as others on the market but they do the job. Other little stuff like their moving dollies and blankets are something I get and love. They also have specialty automotive stuff that I don't use enough to validate the big name brands but need maybe once or twice a month. Also use their stuff for things I know I'm going to break, lose or weld on to make it work. No point in ruining something more expensive.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:29 PM

The HF 20 ton hydraulic press works well for me.
I also buy their disposable stuff like wire wheels and brushes.

I was looking at a set of wrenches the other day since I was wanting to carry a metric set on the tractor, and they didn't look bad. They have a "Lifetime Guarantee" for what its worth.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 PM

I watch a lot of Paul Sellers wood working videos and he swears by HBR bar clamps
Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 AM

I love going into HF----its a wonderland of stuff.
Just have to be a careful shopper know prices and quility products.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Default use care when selecting

it depends, are you very meticulous and know how to use tools? since you said you don't have a lot i would assume you have very little experience, I knew a guys who didn't take care of anything, there tools were always rusty, dented, or missing, they used stuff but didn't know how. where as i know people who get a year or more out of "disposable" stuff simply because they take good care of tools.

personally i have had good performance from some of their tools, while others were a mistake in buying. select carefully
Old 12-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Good Value

I have a host of HF tools. Their wrenches work great. They are not as heavy duty as my Craftsman but for 90% of the jobs they work great. I bought 2 16 piece sets of english /metric wrenches in a nice holder for about $20 total. I keep right by the garage door so if I need to work on something in the yard, I can grab em and go. I have been using them for about 3 years now.

I had the cheap 4 piece cordless drill set. It worked great for years. For the price hard to beat,

On the other hand I have had a few things die quickly. I bought the little 12V heater for my truck to defrost the windows quickly. Started on fire the first time I used it. Took that one back.

I have several air tools, they work ok. I use them only occasionally. I got an air ratchet for $10, to get the brand name was like a $150. For the occasional use I am good.

I bought the floor nailer, floored my house, lent it to someone and they floored their house and then sold it at a garage sale for about what I paid for it. It worked as well as the Stanley that the contractors were renting at about $30/day.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawningdog View Post

On the other hand I have had a few things die quickly. I bought the little 12V heater for my truck to defrost the windows quickly. Started on fire the first time I used it. Took that one back.

Whydja take it back? It got rid of the frost, didn't it?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Master Pontificator

Anything I purchase at HF, I consider a disposable. Sometimes, I get surprised as others have said, but when their sale has the scissors for 99 cents I always buy a dozen or so, trying to always have a couple dozen on hand. They work well for most uses. When they are dull we just toss 'em.

The wife tried their Ceramic knives and they have compared very favorable to her set of Hen & Rooster and Bench Mark Ceramic knives. Their Ceramic knives are very possibly the best product we have ever purchased at HF, other than a few name brand product which they sometimes carry.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:50 AM

Anyone used one of their cement mixers?

Hard to beat the price and it's basically a rotating drum with a motor - would seem difficult to screw up.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
Anyone used one of [HF's]... cement mixers?
I've not used it hard but I've mixed small amounts of concrete for blocks, walks and pads off and on for several years without any trouble. DW has helped with the shovel and water with which she's pretty good. This old mixer (and DW) saved me a bunch of labor over mixing with a hoe. BTW, mine is the bigger of the two similar units from HF.