BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Prescription Assistance

A couple posts on another thread brought up the high cost of prescriptions and some places to find help with paying for them. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread on its own in the Health section so it can be found easily. Any additions to what I have here are welcome!

The first place to start is the Partnership for Prescription Assistance:

https://www.pparx.org/

This site takes you through a fairly simple questionare then directs you to the results found to apply. Some of these results will be from the manufacurers themselves which offer low cost and/or free medications that they make.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Going a little further, I'd like to share a site where I have been getting my prescriptions for many years at a very low cost called RX Outreach:

http://www.rxoutreach.com/

To qualify for medications from this site they ask that you fill out a form once a year - the qualifications go by income and household size. And just to note - your income is not verified by them or anyone else.

Once you qualify it is good for one year - then it is as simple as re-qualifying once a year after that which can be done on-line. On this site you can see what medications they have and their cost. For example my blood pressure medication which I take 2 pills a day costs $20 for a 6 month supply.

You have to think ahead a little to use this service as it takes ~2 weeks to get your Rx from the time you send it in. You just need your doctor to hand write the Rx and then you send it in with the form you print out from the website and your payment which can be a check or credit/debit card. Shipping is free for any of the meds.

You can use this service even if you have other insurance including Medicare. When I was still working I had a high deductible insurance along with a high co-pay for my prescriptions. Rx Outreach made the meds I needed very affordable and really helped.

--------------------------------------

Another huge help for me which was also found on the ppax site was when I first got RA and needed a medication called Humira (Enbrel also has a similar program). The cost of these meds is outrageous being around $2800 per month. I applied for the Humira through the Abvie foundation (Abvie is the manufacturer) and was approved - this was in between the time I had to stop working to when I procured insurance. Again the qualifications were fairly simple and straight forward and was approved to get the Humira at no cost to me (which is shipped directly to my home). It was such a relief to have this available to me.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Wow Coaltrain, while I'm lucky and use very little prescription meds you have post a lot of very helpful information. I'll book mark it just incase.

Thank you!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 AM

Maybe admins can make the links a permanent post "up at the top"? Then we don't have to remember to keep bumping this post!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Just received a letter yesterday from TexanPlus with a new Plan.
It will pay for my PartB and prescriptions.

Its called a PremiumAssist.
One person on $1333.00 or less with Asset Requirements of less than $7160.00 or less.
(I guess it all hinges on my assets)

Married couples of course has more leeway.

For PremiumAssist call 1-877-236-4471
Texas dept of Aging:1-800-252-9240

Havent had time to investigate it as of yet.