BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default atmospheric energy battery charging

I've seen this in a couple of places on the web. Here's one example...

http://www.nuenergy.org/emergency-po...c-electricity/

Basically you use an antenna to collect energy from the atmosphere, run it through a spark plug and coil to get pulsed electricity at the right voltage/current, and then run it into a battery to charge it.

I guess it sounds plausible.

We use two marine batteries in our camper. With the new LED lighting I put in, we can easily get more than a week of usage out of them.

If I could set up a system as described in the link, I could have those two batteries charged between trips rather than hauling them back and forth all the time.

But if it really worked, then couldn't those of us with acreage set up multiple charging stations spread out all over the property and have a constant set up of charging batteries? This seems so simple that it would already be in common use if it worked.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
But if it really worked,
It "works"

Just not efficiently enough to make it worthwhile, since it involves great lengths of cable, and tall towers to hold it all up, and works best in extremely cold and dry conditions

If you want to charge a battery, go solar
You'll get more power and come out cheaper too
Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 PM

Solar probably makes the most sense.

Now that I think about it, this might be a good project to get my feet wet on solar.

I'll have to look up the specs, but I have two batteries for the camper - they're marine type semi-deep cycle. They've worked well for us - IIRC, they're 5 years old now and still going strong.

It'd be nice to not have to haul them back and forth. Loose batteries are just a PITA to haul and there's always danger of a short and a fire or explosion. I take precautions, but still, the danger's there. Leaving them on site for the spring through fall would be ideal.

And I can't think of a time we'd be there sooner than two weeks after the last visit, so that gives me plenty of time to recharge without building a huge solar system.

Plus, if I remember correctly, those batteries should keep through the winter if I had a solar setup to keep them topped off - then I wouldn't have to haul them at all.

I'll have to get the battery specs and maybe start a new thread on that project...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Plus, if I remember correctly, those batteries should keep through the winter if I had a solar setup to keep them topped off - then I wouldn't have to haul them at all.
That's right.

Unless it gets extremely cold, a charged battery won't freeze, although your panels could get covered with snow.

Trickle type solar battery chargers are relatively cheap now, so you won't need some complicated system if that's all you want it to do
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote..
"And I can't think of a time we'd be there sooner than two weeks after the last visit, so that gives me plenty of time to recharge without building a huge solar system."

One of those Harbor Freight 45 watt systems would fit the bill. The controller that they supply with the kit is chincy and I would suggest a different one. A better controller that will handle 5 amps is cheap. You wouldn't need anything fancy..

I agree with BFF. The long wire thing will work but for the price, maint. and effort, a small solar system would make better sense. I had a long wire shortwave antenna installed and critters were always knocking it down somewhere..
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-24-2015, 12:38 PM

"Static" (as in NOT MOVING) generators and collectors have been around for a VERY long time,
Have been investigated by everyone that can drag his feet across a carpet to actual rocket scientists at NASA, and had billions of government tax dollars spent on the research to try and 'Weaponize' it...

It's VERY hard to use 'Static' electricity for anything, simply because it's HALF what you need to do any work at all...

An electrical CURRENT, (MOVING electrons is 'CURRENT')
The 'Static' (not moving) are not moving for a reason,
There is no polar opposite to attract them available.

The second issue is,
Static Electricity will ONLY cling to a NON-Conductive piece of material.
Once you introduce a conductor, the electrons are not STATIC anymore.
Most are usually neutralized by the stray polar opposite potential in the conductor.

If the conductor is 'Grounded', then the electrons are lost forever.
This is the idea behind a 'Ground Strap' people working with sensitive electronics wear to keep 'Static' on the human body/cloths from jumping to what they are working on...

The third issue is 'Pulses'.
Batteries HATE pulsing current trying to charge them.
Static charges build up until they reach a critical accumulation, then PULSE to 'Ground' or a polar opposite.
(Ever got shocked reaching for a car door or door knob after walking on carpet?)

Although it's a 'POP', there is very little potential work energy there,
And once you try and filter/regulate that current from a 'Pop' to something a battery can use, you have invested a ton of money and a perfectly good education for the equivalent of a very weak spark plug energy discharge...

Remember, spark plugs/ignition coils use MUCH HIGHER AMPERAGE to produce a small, wasteful, weak spark at the spark plug gap.
The system is wasteful, there is so much internal resistance that you can't remove, so about 80% of input energy is lost to resistance...

Trying to turn a weak static discharge spark back into USEABLE current will net you so very little because the system is even more wasteful in reverse...
And you are starting with so very little to begin with...

Want to charge your batteries, get a solar panel battery charger.
If the sun shines, you get a constant current nearly ideally suited to charging batteries.
A very stead, low amperage, and STABLE, DC charging source.

If it's a 'Naked' panel, no extra electronics,
Then for $3 you can get a 'Diode' from Radio Shack to install in the line to the battery.

$3, package of two diodes.
Diodes are sold state, no moving parts, they are sealed so no environmental issues, and they work silently, seamlessly with no further attention after install.
Electronics are full of diodes, they are everywhere and have a 70+ year proven track record...

A diode is an electrical 'One Way' gate valve, lets current flow one direction only.
This will keep your batteries from trying to heat up the panel at night.
Current produced will get to the batteries, but the batteries can't power up the panel to produce heat.

Even those cheap 'China' Harbor Freight solar battery maintainer panels ($20 on sale) will work if you keep them mostly dry...
They aren't sealed very well, and will eventually corrode up,
But for $20 or $30 it's a VERY GOOD introduction into solar PV (Solar Photo-Voltaic, Panels that produce electricity instead of heating water or something like that).

Personally, there is one screwed to my trailer battery box right now,
With a glass cake pan flipped up-side-down over it to protect it from direct rain... Had it for about 10 years and still working...
This is all that is required to keep the winch battery on the trailer charged...