BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM

My first .22 was a Wards Western Field my folks got me for my 12th birthday.
It's an old single shot but I bet I put thousands of rounds through it.
I still have it, and should take it out and shoot it one of these days.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Marlin Model 99 M1

My first 22 was purchased in 1965 from Gibson Sports. I still have it and use it a lot. It is a Marlin Model 99 M1. Tube fed and holds 9 LR, 12 Shorts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin Model 99 M1 2.jpg (11.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Although, until I was older, I wasn't allowed to take it out and shoot it except under their watchful eyes, Mom and Dad bought me a Winchester Model 55 for my 10th birthday - that would have been in 1958. I still have it, and it still shoots swell.
The Model 55 is an oddball of sorts. It's a single-shot, semi-automatic. You cock it, and then load one round through a trap door in the top of the receiver just behind the barrel. When you push the trap door open, the gun is automatically put on "safe." When you take it off "safe" and fire that one round, the gun recocks itself as it ejects the spent case out of a hole in the bottom of the stock.
It was the perfect starter .22 for a kid except for the fact that darned, hot spent case dropped right into my left hand until I grew. For two years, I came home from every jack rabbit hunt with a blister in the palm of my hand.
You still see Model 55s at the gun shows once in a while. They're usually labeled "Winchester's Edsels," which is a pretty good name for them. They're kind of pricey as Winchester didn't make very many of them.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 PM

My first 22 was an Ithaca Model 49 single shot given to me by my grandpa. It was my dad's before me. Still have it and use it almost daily.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Remington Speedmaster
Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 AM

My first .22 was a Marlin 39A I got in 1963. I put so many rounds through it that I actually managed to wear out the barrel. I had it rebarreled at the factory a few years ago and accuracy is restored.

It may have been my first .22, but it wasn't the last.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 PM

JC Higgins Model 80. Sears and Roebuck.

Google image...

https://www.google.com/search?q=jc+h...J8hHYKLx9-c%3D
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Nice looking piece there, Dave.

My first was a Glenfield Model 60. Still have it, but it jams all the time, due to a throat feed issue. Looked at replacing that part, but it's almost as expensive as picking up a new .22.

My new favorite is a Savage Mark II, wood stock, left hand action.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnManJim View Post
Although, until I was older, I wasn't allowed to take it out and shoot it except under their watchful eyes, Mom and Dad bought me a Winchester Model 55 for my 10th birthday - that would have been in 1958. I still have it, and it still shoots swell.
The Model 55 is an oddball of sorts. It's a single-shot, semi-automatic. You cock it, and then load one round through a trap door in the top of the receiver just behind the barrel. When you push the trap door open, the gun is automatically put on "safe." When you take it off "safe" and fire that one round, the gun recocks itself as it ejects the spent case out of a hole in the bottom of the stock.
It was the perfect starter .22 for a kid except for the fact that darned, hot spent case dropped right into my left hand until I grew. For two years, I came home from every jack rabbit hunt with a blister in the palm of my hand.
You still see Model 55s at the gun shows once in a while. They're usually labeled "Winchester's Edsels," which is a pretty good name for them. They're kind of pricey as Winchester didn't make very many of them.
THAT was my very first rifle as well. My Dad gave it to me for my 10th birthday in 1959. I let it get away from me, and have never seen another one. I sure wish I had her today.
The nylon loading gate on top broke right where it pivoted on the roll pin, but it still shot. I wore glasses, so the unburned flakes of hot gunpowder blowing back in my face really didn't bother me.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 PM

My first gun (and also my father's, maybe my grandfather) was a Remington Model 511.

I never remember that rifle having a finish other than "brown patina" and the bolt handle had been fabbed by my grandfather and brazed on. The stock was abused and the rifling was worn away at the crown by LOTS of cleaning with a coat hanger. Still shot good, though. I'll never forget the time I bragged to my friends how good my dad could shoot and they mocked me until I called dad from the house to show them. Well, dad took a quarter from his pocket and had a boy run to the mulberry tree in the field about 50 odd yards away and set the quarter in a crack. He took his time and shot the quarter dead center, much to the amazement of my friends.

Years later the furnace repair guy knocked the rifle from its rest on the workbench in the basement and broke the stock. The repair company refused to pay for repairs to the rifle, or even give me money off the service call. Needless to say, I never used that company again!

So I had kids of my own and the old 511 was in sorry shape. It had also been run over by our tractor in a memorable incident, and uncounted bullets had been fired from it. I decided to turn the rifle over to a well-known custom gunsmith so I could pass the rifle down to my kids in better shape than I had gotten it.

He shortened the broken stock to a youth length. He repaired the bolt and replaced every spring in the action and tuned the lock. He shortened the barrel and recrowned it, and gave the metal a beautiful salt blue. He even fixed the ejector (which had never worked) and replaced the mag latch (we had always used it as a single shot). When it came back from his shop, the rifle was a work of art.

So what did I do? I took it into the back yard and let my kids shoot it. With luck and minimal maintenance (no more coat hangers!!! lol) it'll keep going for another x amount of years. Yeah, I spent more money on the overhaul than it was worth, but I don't regret it one bit.

You can't put a dollar figure on a faithful family friend like that.

Last edited by essayons4791; 12-17-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
THAT was my very first rifle as well. My Dad gave it to me for my 10th birthday in 1959. I let it get away from me, and have never seen another one. I sure wish I had her today.
The nylon loading gate on top broke right where it pivoted on the roll pin, but it still shot. I wore glasses, so the unburned flakes of hot gunpowder blowing back in my face really didn't bother me.
That's quite the coincidence Rice Paddy Daddy. Of all the similar threads in various guns and shooting forums I posted on about first firearms, first .22s, first shotguns, etc., you're the only person who said your first .22 was a Model 55 Winchester, like mine. What's more, you got it for your 10th birthday, just like I did. You must be 66 though, because I'm 67 and got my Model 55 in 1958, a year before you got yours.
I hadn't realized until I read your post that my Model 55 has a nylon loading gate. But I looked at it tonight and you're right - it does. Furthermore, it's starting to crack right where yours did. I guess my first .22 is officially retired as of tonight. Good luck in finding a replacement for yours. Like I said in my other post, they occasionally show up at gun shows around here - Idaho. They usually run $150 to $250 - not too awfully bad, I guess.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Remington Model 41 Targetmaster. My Grandfather purchased it new during the depression years. It was passed directly to me, and at some future time I plan on passing it onto my grandson. To be eight-five plus years now, the 'ol gal still looks remarkably well. Age has not diminished her abilities either!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM

My first rifle was a Wards Sentry 22 LR. Still have it and still love it. Single shot. I learned to shoot with that rifle which did me well later. I was 12 when I got it in '59 and in '66 joined the Marine Corps and shot expert. Good enough to get me through a tour in Nam and got me home. Lots of fond memories of that rifle, plinking. I got where I could hit a can from about 40' from the hip consistently.

Like me it's got a few dings from life, but were both still going strong
Old 10-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Belgian browning take down semi- from Mom and Dad for my 12th Chirstmas. Ruger 10/22 were sold out and I'm glad they were
Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM

My first .22 was a Remington Model 24. My grandfather bought it when he was 16. Passed it down through his kids until my mom got it. She taught me how to shoot and passed to it me after I completed my Hunter safety course. I was 11. I still have it. I still shoot it occasionally but most of the time it is in the safe. It will be passed down to my son or perhaps an interested grandchild before I pass on.