Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Drone hunting

Everyone needs one of these.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/2/596...out-of-the-sky
Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 PM

I read somewhere rich people are using drones a lot... For instance... Martha Stewart is supposed to use one regularly to "survey her estate" on a regular basis...

If ever someone was flying a drone over my place I think I would consider "taking care of business" as it were...

Right now seems the height of the weekend vacation season where the hon-yockers letting there dogs run loose around the neighborhood...

Good hunting...
Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM

A neighbor of mine a couple doors up has one of those drones. It belongs to his adult daughter's boyfriend. They evidently live above the owners garage in an apartment there. I've seen the thing rise up from the deck on the back of the garage, then it will hover about 100 feet in the air then it goes down, then a while later its back. I scoped it out with a pair of binoculars and it does appear to be carrying one of those go-pro cameras underneath it. So my questions/concerns over this thing are, is the guy simply taking friendly video of the area, or is he using this thing to spy on his neighbors? If it ever flies over my home, I will most certainly shoot it down because as far as I'm concerned at that time it will have been used to no good and I will not allow someone with some gadget like that to invade the sanctity of my home.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 AM

My bad..... Didn't mean to do a double post...

Yes.. I think it would be considered the same as a peeping Tom type crime... What ever that would be charged as depends on your state and town laws.....

And yes... I would "take care of business"....

My 2 cents...
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM

If you are handloading what is the preferred drone load?

I'm thinking the small homeowner drones maybe a 10ga 3 1/2 " with some sort of buckshot, maybe some BBs or 2s if in close.

Can you use some decoys to get them in close? Maybe a few blowup dolls by the pool. Some plants that look like weed?

Also, since these things are radio controlled, how about some sort of jammer to make them crash? Or a more powerful broadband noise signal.

If they have cameras a good laser will fubar that.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
If you are handloading what is the preferred drone load?

I'm thinking the small homeowner drones maybe a 10ga 3 1/2 " with some sort of buckshot, maybe some BBs or 2s if in close.

Can you use some decoys to get them in close? Maybe a few blowup dolls by the pool. Some plants that look like weed?

Also, since these things are radio controlled, how about some sort of jammer to make them crash? Or a more powerful broadband noise signal.

If they have cameras a good laser will fubar that.
I would think a simple 1 1/4 oz. pheasant load of #6 shot should be sufficient to bring one of those things down. I've seen one up close and they appear to be made of thin plastic which houses the motors and radio setup. Nothing the pheasant load couldn't bring down.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Agree.... Normal small game hunting load should be OK....

Even a #7 1/2 trap load, depending on the size of your yard...

Decoys........ Blowup doll on a lounge chair... BBQ grill smoking... Open cooler of beer.... Bikinis on the clothes line..... Many possibilities....

They have proved they can't tell the difference between tomato and pot plants in patio pots....

Maybe build your own craft from shot down parts... How would you taxidermy one to mount it on the wall of a man cave ???

This could be fun...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Agree.... Normal small game hunting load should be OK....

Even a #7 1/2 trap load, depending on the size of your yard...

Decoys........ Blowup doll on a lounge chair... BBQ grill smoking... Open cooler of beer.... Bikinis on the clothes line..... Many possibilities....

They have proved they can't tell the difference between tomato and pot plants in patio pots....

Maybe build your own craft from shot down parts... How would you taxidermy one to mount it on the wall of a man cave ???

This could be fun...
Just glue the crash debris to a board and hang on wall!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 AM

I think I would probably go with one of the Benelli Semi Autos with the comfortech system and the long long barrel that handles 3.5" shells. Its designed for shooting flying things, so you know that you should have the right feel. That would be my pick. Suppressing it would make it more fun for me to shoot, but its not necessary.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:04 PM

I love my drone...I use it to film shooting videos and vantage points you just cant see without one..... Its really cool to be able to see ares of the property you cant really get through on foot. I CAN see how one could be misused .....somebody shot mine down.....they would be next.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:28 PM

When I saw "drone hunting" I thought about smacking one of them with a broom...
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhippie View Post
I love my drone... I CAN see how one could be misused .....somebody shot mine down.....they would be next.
===
Like has been said.... As long as a person respects property lines with there drone, dog, horse, off road vehicle, you name it.... There shouldn't be a problem...

However... Abuses of this respect should not/will not be tolerated... If things get to a point of a "shoot down" as the only solution.... That is unacceptable behavior...

Take care...
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM

Goose loads would be my suggested go-to round.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post

I've always wondered if a simple spark gap would send out enough radio frequency noise to scramble the control. Could be put together easily, but the FCC wouldn't be amused.

However, I read many drones have a self homing feature in case they lose contact, using GPS. Would have a hard time jamming the GPS signal...

Shotgun seems to be an effective, direct approach, although it probably won't leave much to harvest.

Or maybe get your own "predator" drone...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
===
Like has been said.... As long as a person respects property lines with there drone, dog, horse, off road vehicle, you name it.... There shouldn't be a problem...

However... Abuses of this respect should not/will not be tolerated... If things get to a point of a "shoot down" as the only solution.... That is unacceptable behavior...

Take care...
I fly over my property...if you were shooting at my drone you would be trespassing ....if I was a bettin man Id bet you wouldnt get a shot at a drone.... This is a problem where you live?. You live in town then?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 AM

I fly over my property...if you were shooting at my drone you would be trespassing ....
===
Exactly my point.... If you respect your property lines with your drone, or fill in the blank, all is fine... If it is over my property line... That is another issue...

No... Here in the woods I haven't had a problem with drones... But if that day comes... Well... Take care of today, today... And tomorrow, tomorrow, as necessary.. KnowwhatImean....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM

Well I expect it wont be your neighbors drone flying over you need to worry about....uncle sugar is already doing that....20 times a day it flies over.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM

uncle sugar is already doing that....20 times a day it flies over.
--
That is interesting.... What are you referring to ?? Drones of one kind or another ? Satellites ? SR 71 ?

Satellites and SR 71 would be tough to pop at with my trusty pellet rifle..

Take care..
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM

I would say all of the above! I am a giant pellet gun fan but I fear they might be a bit outta range...lol Tree rats tremble at the very notion of me drawing down on them with my .22 pistol....I could certainly put a hurtin onna a slow moving drone.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
uncle sugar is already doing that....20 times a day it flies over.
--
That is interesting.... What are you referring to ?? Drones of one kind or another ? Satellites ? SR 71 ?

Satellites and SR 71 would be tough to pop at with my trusty pellet rifle..

Take care..
Satellites ... talk about drones and shotguns and all that is kind of fun, but if we start talking about satellites, then a whole other topic ...

I work with a lot of different global mapping programs, like I'm sure a lot of us others do, for scouting, land management, aerial review of our property and all that ... but real time satellite use and abuse is just down right spooky .... .. ok .. heading down to the basement