BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

but real time satellite use and abuse is just down right spooky .... .. ok .. heading down to the basement
===
Yes.... I have seen Google Earth pictures of my place with my tractor in different parts of the yard.... At the time I thought it was amusing... Now the technology will let the neighbors do there own looking around the neighborhood any time they want...

Keep safe...
Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 AM

A small amount of pebbles, bird shot, bbs, etc, wrapped in a tissue, shot from a wrist rocket (slingshot), would take a drone down. We used to use these home made shot loads to shoot birds on the wing when we were kids. Not an easy task as birds are fast and the lead is hard to obtain on a flying bird, but we'd get one now and again. However on a hovering drone, easy, as there's no leading them. Just aim and fire.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post

Maybe build your own craft from shot down parts... How would you taxidermy one to mount it on the wall of a man cave ???
That's pretty funny, Wyo--... Have you considered counseling?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
===
Like has been said.... As long as a person respects property lines with there drone, dog, horse, off road vehicle, you name it.... There shouldn't be a problem...

However... Abuses of this respect should not/will not be tolerated... If things get to a point of a "shoot down" as the only solution.... That is unacceptable behavior...

Take care...
Property lines do not extend to the airspace above. The precedent has already been cemented in common Law i.e. police helicopters and other aircraft.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Property lines do not extend to the airspace above. The precedent has already been cemented in common Law i.e. police helicopters and other aircraft.
===
Most thing that qualify as air craft are restricted to a minimum 500' height over unoccupied land.. And other restrictions over occupied areas.. Drones the size of a car are capable of surveillance at altitudes above these minimums... And I most likely can't do anything about that...

However... A 10lb or less, RC controlled, personal drone over the tree tops, over my property is quite a different issue... An action I would take very personally, and have issues with...

My 2 cents worth...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
===
Most thing that qualify as air craft are restricted to a minimum 500' height over unoccupied land.. And other restrictions over occupied areas.. Drones the size of a car are capable of surveillance at altitudes above these minimums... And I most likely can't do anything about that...

However... A 10lb or less, RC controlled, personal drone over the tree tops, over my property is quite a different issue... An action I would take very personally, and have issues with...

My 2 cents worth...
With the considerably lower bar for Civil Court....... Your just an angry old white man that ruined someone else's fun and harmless toy.

Probably make some richer and lose your firearms for life.

Give it a try, I eagerly await the Court's decision.

Some guys were proclaiming all this and more in Parker, CO. Came out with their shotguns, camouflage, and NRA lifemember hats........

On the News these men came off as cuckoo for cocoapuffs government conspiracists.........

which of course, caused people to call for government scrutiny .......... I don't know (or really care) if the public call for these men to have psychological evaluations or not went anywhere.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Your just an angry old white man that ruined someone else's fun and harmless toy.
===
Partially right.... Old white guy... Who will not tolerate disrespect of my property lines and endangerment from someones not harmless, out of control toy...

My 2 cents...
Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Master Pontificator

If "they" can fly them, "They" will also know who shot it or them down.....
I don't want to be it that position.....

Kids get into trouble shining cheap laser at planes....?...What do you suppose shooting a drone down would bring?

Big talk, but hope y'all know what you are doing...... Shooting drones is like taking pot shots at squad cars or air liners....
Old 10-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Drone Magic

I love coincidences

The control frequencies of most of the drones I have looked up is centred on 2.3 GHZ

By some strange twist of fate the magnetron in your typical microwave oven operates at 2.3 GHZ, and does so at a power level of around 1000 watts.

Even if you don't understand the physics, the formula for a waveguide, an sheet metal structure that focuses radio waves in the microwave frequency range (2.3GHZ) is pretty easy to build.

Now imagine a radio receiver that is designed to receive control signals that amount to 10's of microvolts... not that microvolts and watts are directly related, but I would wager that the crafts control receiver would puke in milliseconds.

If the drone has a 'return to home on loss of signal' function odds are this would activate it :>)

If it does not, well who knows. It might hover in place, dash off to parts unknown or drop like a rock.

After a trip to the local Goodwill resale shop to pick up an old microwave oven, I would like to find out... just not on my own toys... unless I buy one cheap enough to find out

Bwah ha ha
Old 10-30-2015, 12:57 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
Kids get into trouble shining cheap laser at planes....?...What do you suppose shooting a drone down would bring?

Shooting drones is like taking pot shots at squad cars or air liners....
That seems to be pretty much the case in a nut shell. Ownership and use of a drone trumps personal privacy anywhere and ever where for the average citizens.

We are told the air space over (or above) our personal property is not ours, and we can not sell it, rent it or lease it to anyone, but anyone can utilize that space for free to harass & spy on our activities. The government and anyone else who can afford the purchase price for their own drone can spy & snoop on anyone all they desire, all under the heading of their freedom to do so.

But try flying your own drone over The White House, or a military instillation and see where that gets you. "Don't do as I do, but do as I say," will pretty much sum that up! Strange but by some coincidence, the government happens to own that air space. It won't be long before the air space over politicians property, owned, leased or rented property will likely be also owned (restricted - just another word for ownership) too.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 AM

Here is an article saying one judge says it is OK to take out drone invading privacy..

You may not own the air space over your property, however there are "floors" most any man made and controlled object must respect...

My 2 cents says this should be good for the whole country...
===
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-this-charge/
Old 10-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Here is an article saying one judge says it is OK to take out drone invading privacy..

You may not own the air space over your property, however there are "floors" most any man made and controlled object must respect...

My 2 cents says this should be good for the whole country...
===
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-this-charge/
I agree.

Drones can be most useful tools and very enjoyable, but quite expensive, hobbies when used properly. It is the misuse that makes them objectionable.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
My bad..... Didn't mean to do a double post...

Yes.. I think it would be considered the same as a peeping Tom type crime... What ever that would be charged as depends on your state and town laws.....

And yes... I would "take care of business"....

My 2 cents...
Florida law is quite clear. Flying a drone over private property is a violation of privacy. Even a TV news drone. This was discussed in an article about local stations using drones instead of hiring a helicopter. Even if they are not over your property, but, say, the lot next door, if they photograph your yard even peripherally they are in violation.
I'm not sure if law enforcement needs a warrant or not, though.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 11-19-2015, 02:38 PM

10ga with small buck 3 1/2"

That or if you have electronics, jam it, and VISIT the Owner
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
Florida law is quite clear. Flying a drone over private property is a violation of privacy. Even a TV news drone. This was discussed in an article about local stations using drones instead of hiring a helicopter. Even if they are not over your property, but, say, the lot next door, if they photograph your yard even peripherally they are in violation.
I am pleased to see some jurisdictions are using some common sense and not totally disregarding the sanity of home and property.

We probably need to become more involved politically and be proactive in decisions like the drone issues, rather than just sit ideally by while the decision makers decide our fates as property owners.

I have just about come to the conclusion, we don't own any real estate in truth, we just rent if from the city, parish (county) & state on a year to year basis.

BTW, I was surfing the net last night and found some Drone Munition by Team Never Quits/Snake River Shooting Products. So apparently more than just a few people are unhappy with the influx and proliferation of drones and the drone community. I am not connected with the company, but thought they had an appropriate name for their products. If I can get my hands on a box or two just for display, I will.

Last edited by Jjr; 11-19-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: to add something
Old 11-19-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
Just this week the PD in a suburb of Chicago got a drone. They are required to get a warrant to use it if collecting evidence and the officers actually controlling it are required to get pilot licenses (!).
Old 11-19-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post

We probably need to become more involved politically and be proactive in decisions like the drone issues, rather than just sit ideally by while the decision makers decide our fates as property owners.

How true. I still can't believe we're letting them get away with the cameras at traffic intersections, not to mention the confiscation of property of suspected drug possessors without a trial.

I'm really sick of hearing on the news about "the leader of the free world." What free world? It no longer exists.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM

IN many Missouri areas red light cameras have been turned off and all warrants based on the photos thrown out. In at least one case the city is issuing refunds of past fines to all involved .

This started with complaints and law suits by citizens who decided to do something rather than sit around and bitch and moan.

In Missouri it is now law that municipalities can not get more than 30% of their revenue from local court fines.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 11-20-2015 at 06:14 PM.