BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Sports & Games

Sports & Games Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, bowling, swimming, badminton, skiing, ping-pong, skateboarding...if it's a sport or game, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default NASCAR Driver Tragic Accident...

yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/tony-stewart-will-not-race-at-watkins-glen--regan-smith-to-drive-the-no--14-143704974.html
===
I don't watch very little NASCAR....
Here it tells about NASCAR driver Tony Stewart who accidentally killed another driver at a dirt track race Saturday night.... The circumstances seem to be the other driver crashed some how, and got out of his car... Stewart came around not knowing the other driver was on foot there, hit and killed him...

As I understand it... These drivers are to stay in there car until someone comes and gives them permission or help to get out... Of course fire or other dangerous circumstances would make a difference...

A tragic accident that may have been avoidable on the part of the other driver it seems....

There was a big uproar of sorts that Stewart was still scheduled to drive today in the NASCAR race in NY..... He has since opted to let someone else drive today, I guess...

Sorry to hear of things like this...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 PM

These are such hot blooded drivers.
The driver that got killed was mad at Stewart.
Well getting out of your car to take on a moving vehicle aint a smart move.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Wyo, there is a few video's on YouTube showing the kid walking out onto the track
right in front of Stewart's car. One car missed him then Stewart hit him. Stewart couldn't see him because of the car in front of him. I can't believe the kid was stupid enough to do that. There was nothing Stewart could to.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/tony-stewart-will-not-race-at-watkins-glen--regan-smith-to-drive-the-no--14-143704974.html
===
I don't watch very little NASCAR....
Here it tells about NASCAR driver Tony Stewart who accidentally killed another driver at a dirt track race Saturday night.... The circumstances seem to be the other driver crashed some how, and got out of his car... Stewart came around not knowing the other driver was on foot there, hit and killed him...

As I understand it... These drivers are to stay in there car until someone comes and gives them permission or help to get out... Of course fire or other dangerous circumstances would make a difference...

A tragic accident that may have been avoidable on the part of the other driver it seems....

There was a big uproar of sorts that Stewart was still scheduled to drive today in the NASCAR race in NY..... He has since opted to let someone else drive today, I guess...

Sorry to hear of things like this...
Its a sad day when sports have become so violent---but car races are just that.
I use to go to the Mud Races in Lousiana and those boys play for keeps.
Fun to watch and of course they had old beat up cars and races for some big money.
There is nothing like mud races in the Bayou country---mud flying even into the stands.

But these big races are for big money and Good Old Boy bragging rights--for the win.
I have seen some fist fights in those pits. :
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Of all the things you could call sports.... NASCAR and other racing like that are doubly dangerous in that they are very adrenalin fueled, and mostly very competitive people who do this....

Combine that with heavy powerful machinery and high speed makes it a hard environment to stay safe in....

I guess that is a lot to do with it's popularity...
I can't see where criminal charges are appropriate in this.... At least with the facts known so far...

Still too bad it happened...
Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 PM

WYO----I have looked at the video a number of times.
Dark track/dark clothes and dirt flying---I dont think Stewart saw him until the last second.
It appears he tried to dodge him.

Should've tried to stay in that car until the ER crew got there.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM

The Grand Jury has decided NOT to indict Stewart, and evidence showed that the other driver was STONED during the race

Quote:
CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. -- A grand jury has decided Tony Stewart will not face charges for his role in the on-track death of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr.

Prosecutors in upstate New York made the announcement Wednesday, just hours after the grand jury finished hearing testimony in the case. Stewart could have been charged with second-degree manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said.

Tantillo also said Ward was under the influence of marijuana at the time of his death, according to toxicology reports. The marijuana in his system "was enough to impair judgment," Tantillo said.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:46 PM

I have heard/read this latest info also...
The young driver was an experienced racer, adult, and I would presume fully aware of consequences of poor choices...

And he was an adult that chose to make poor choices
in an environment that does not forgive honest mistakes or poor choices...

Take care...