BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Default Gassification

Well every once in a while I get a wild hair and started doing research on running a vehicle on wood basically. This is one site I have been using. http://driveonwood.com/. It is actually a pretty cool concept and I know I'm late to the party on this one but has anybody on here done this? I think I may have found this winters project...
Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Master Pontificator

Watched Mountain Men on the Ipad through Amazon.....one of guys on the show make one for his truck....and I will be darn it works. Can do a search if your interested in renting the series ...as to which one it was.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Di I think there are several videos on YouTube about that. From what I understand their pretty scary. The power plant I mean.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM

HawaiiDi-I actually did see that episode. Not a lot of details on how but still very cool. Been doing a lot of research online and honestly once you get passed the basics of the science behind how it works it doesn't seem that hard. Bad part I see is that it takes up a lot of bed space...
Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM

That's gunna be a project for me eventually. It was used routinely by many in WWII when petrol was scarce.

Major draw backs: it takes a little while to build up a head of gas, so leave your engine running while you're in the bank robbing it or your getaway will be delayed, and when you stop and get out of the car, the deadly, explosive fumes will still be pouring out the relief valve for a while.

OTOH, just about any source of cellulose can be used as fuel.

http://www.mdpub.com/gasifier/index.html
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Found several videos of WWII applications of this and was surprised as I had never heard about it. Yes I will have to slow down my bank robbery pace though haha
Old 08-12-2014, 04:16 AM

Before getting too far into building anything, you may want to find out if you will be required to pay "fuel tax" on the wood you burn, and , if your state requires emissions testing, will it pass, or will it even be "street legal"

Don't assume because someone else talks about having done it that they are telling you all the facts.

They may be doing something illegal and not even know

Also note the guy in the featured article has a sawmill and a large supply of FREE wood

It seems more practical for longer trips than for an everyday driver for general use, since you have to "fire it up" ahead of time instead of just turning a key

Let us know what you find out!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 AM

In my area there is no fuel tax on it and no emissions testing in my state so far as the legal aspect goes I'm good to go. The only vehicle inspections we have are if you bring a vehicle in from out of state they check the vin plates but other than that nothing.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM

I have thought about this a lot.... Have an unlimited supply of wood, sawdust, and chips, problem is, everything is damp, really damp... Hard to dry anything out when the humidity is nearing 100%.... Even dry things feel damp in a very short time....

AG
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM

I've been thinking of building a gassifier eventually. Maybe not for my truck, but it seems it would make a nice backup generator. No worries about having enough gas stored away.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellendra View Post
I've been thinking of building a gassifier eventually. Maybe not for my truck, but it seems it would make a nice backup generator. No worries about having enough gas stored away.
We've talked about this before here. It seems the logical power source for generation of juice when the SHTF.

The gas produced is petty dirty with tars (but no nicotine, at least) so it needs to be filtered and is still pretty hard on an engine.

From what I've read, you can expect ~1 mile per lb of wood when running a vehicle on it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM

I've also looked into it a bit for some sort of stationary engine.

I'm no expert, but my take on the process is it's pretty difficult to control without constant attention, especially if your fuel source isn't homogeneous. A fair amount of people seem to be "chunking" wood to get that fuel into a form that makes the process a bit easier to control. I doubt gasification is ever going to approach the "set it and forget it" you are able to do with a liquid fuel, but anything you can do to standardize the process from run to run is likely to help.

For me, I'd use the process on a stationary engine first, and then, perhaps something low speed like a tractor. A vehicle wouldn't be something I'd attempt until I was completely familiar with the process and construction of the equipment.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Newer engines with computerized sensors & automatic adjustments can compensate for the fuel inconsistencies you mention, Chrisser. But, relying on computer technology kind of goes against the simplicity & sustainability needed in a SHTF scenario.