BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Default Tires

I have been really skeptical about retread tires in the past based on my encounters with semi tires. However, this brand of tires has impressed me and many others. I am not affiliated with them at all and if putting this here is wrong I apologize but I thought in the interest of saving a couple bucks on tires some folks might like them. I am a tire dealer so usually I get great pricing on name brands but I even same enough money to buy these.http://www.treadwright.com
Old 08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

After driving a big truck for many years (company owned) I hated the recaps. In the beginning they would put virgin tires on my tractor and of course always retreads on the trailers. Then they decided one day to put retreads on my tractor when I was at the tire shop.

The guy at the tire shop was a bit confused. There was a tire program from a couple tire manufacturers that gave a heavy discount to the mail haulers. The end price of the virgin tires was $20 more per piece than the retreads. With the money back from them taking the casings the virgin tires ended up cheaper. But no.....shop manager demanded the retreads.

I almost blew a car's driver window out once when a trailer retread blew when I was right next to him on the highway. Luckily nobody was hurt. Unless you are using your own casings for the retreads you don't know what you are getting.

For my own personal vehicle I never considered retreads. There is so much competition our there among the tire brands I feel I am getting a good price when I do my diligent shopping when I need a set of tires.

The site you linked - the vehicle selector worked very well but when I choose my pick-up my size tires showed as being not available anyway.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:38 PM

I had the same opinion you have coaltrain...seen too many asphalt alligators as we used to call them beside the road to consider a retread. However, I tried these out on someone elses recommendation and they worked awesome.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 AM

I don't put a lot of miles on the PU any more and a good virgin tire cost me about 250 per tire. I may have to look into this a little more. They carry my size for a hundren less per tire after shipping.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 AM

Way back in the olden days, when I was in high school....
I could get an amazing amount of miles from a used recap on an old pickup... More than most people could...

However..... With todays cars, freeways, speeds..... I'm not sure I would use them....

Yes... I have 17" tires on one of my vehicles... And they are expensive... But I'm real fussy about tire pressure, rotation and such.... So I have always been lucky enough to get good value out of most any set I've had....

If they work well for you.... Go for it....
Your situation will be different than mine, or the next persons...

Good luck...
Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Master Pontificator

If you know the recapper is a honorable and quality processor and have your own tread bare tires recapped, you will in most cases have a quality tire with a good service life, having almost the length of life of the original new tire.

Where I worked a number of years ago, the town had a local small operation recapper and he had a great reputation. I had a number of my own tires recapped and they looked the casing over extremely carefully before they accepted it for recapping. They also marked the casing so they could identify it and would only recap the casing once. I don't know if that was their rule or following a rule of law. I never had a bad recap from them. I outright purchased one recapped tire from them and it served as well as the tires I owned which they recapped.

Now a neighbor from the past had a whole different experience with a set of recapped tires purchased in another location. He had not been married very long and was actually needing a full set of tires, but was trying to decide on purchasing two better tires and hope the best two from the four on the vehicle would make it another pay day or two, or to put a cheaper full set of tires on the vehicle. While looking at the tire display a salesman approached him and in their discussion the neighbor told the salesman his delima. The salesman told the neighbor, he could help. Then he asked about the neighbor ever using recapped tires, to which the answer was no. Let me show you what I have to offer, and the salesman showed him some great looking tires the neighbor told me. The salesman put a full set of the recapped tires on the neighbors vehicle for little more than a pair of the better tires would have cost him. With the tire mounting, balancing and installation completed the neighbor and his wife ate lunch and started home, about 60 miles to the West of where they were at. About 20 miles from town the first recapped tire blew out, another 20 miles further and a second recapped tire let go. I doubt to this day you could give him a recapped tire after that experience. My relating his story in print is nothing like hearing him tell the saga in person.