BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Default Feral Cats

About thirty of them to be exact. Two litters I know about within the past couple months. The closest neighbors are not legally allowed to have indoor pets because of animal abuse charges so they put a bag of cat food out every day to feed all the neighborhood strays therefore they are multiplying. The cats eventually wander the 1/2 mile to our house and pee on everything, crap in the yard and garden and fight at all hours of the night. When I mentioned something about them the neighbor basically said if you do anything about the cats I'll start taking shots at your dogs. Any ways you guys know of to keep them away?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I know a guy who had an uncooperative neighbor with bad behaving cats... Very similar situation to what you describe....
His solution was an out of site, out of mind live trap.... And a one way ride out of town..... Far as I know, no one ever caught on to that... At least in this situation...

Good luck with your problem...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Cats are pretty easy to catch in a live trap
When I first moved here there was a big feral cat problem, but luckily most of the neighbors didn't mind if I shot them
Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
About thirty of them to be exact. Two litters I know about within the past couple months. The closest neighbors are not legally allowed to have indoor pets because of animal abuse charges so they put a bag of cat food out every day to feed all the neighborhood strays therefore they are multiplying. The cats eventually wander the 1/2 mile to our house and pee on everything, crap in the yard and garden and fight at all hours of the night. When I mentioned something about them the neighbor basically said if you do anything about the cats I'll start taking shots at your dogs. Any ways you guys know of to keep them away?
Yeah, a bitch in heat draws in coyotes. Those clean up cats fast.

You can also put down coyote urine.

This can be trading one problem for another.

Lastly, involve animal control. Those neighbors can be cited (possibly) in your jurisdiction for creating a nuisance.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:52 PM

No animal control out here in the county. Don't want to involve the sheriff too much because well the neighbors are pretty well known for being awful people who get revenge. I have put out live traps but didn't really hide them and that is when he stopped by and said if you hurt a cat I'm going after your dogs. I had thought about putting a trap in my pickup bed baited so if the cat got in it during the night I could just drive off in the morning and make a trip by the creek...
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I had thought about putting a trap in my pickup bed baited so if the cat got in it during the night I could just drive off in the morning and make a trip by the creek...
Sardine oil is a good bait that can bring them in from a long way
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
No animal control out here in the county. Don't want to involve the sheriff too much because well the neighbors are pretty well known for being awful people who get revenge. I have put out live traps but didn't really hide them and that is when he stopped by and said if you hurt a cat I'm going after your dogs. I had thought about putting a trap in my pickup bed baited so if the cat got in it during the night I could just drive off in the morning and make a trip by the creek...
What an idiot neighbor---evidently they haven't gotten away with this behavior for a long time.
And dont leave your windows down is the vehicles--something about steering wheels and cats spraying them----eewwwww.

Just trap them quietly----:
Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
What an idiot neighbor---evidently they haven't gotten away with this behavior for a long time.
And dont leave your windows down is the vehicles--something about steering wheels and cats spraying them----eewwwww.

Just trap them quietly----:
You sound like you have had the same experiences with the vehicles that we have...it raises the blood pressure a little for sure...
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 PM

Default Mobile trap

I'm fond of the trap in the truck approach. A handy plank ramp with a bit of scent on it might make it work even better.

It does sound like there's an opportunity for escalation. Threatening your dogs for their failure to contain their animals is pretty low. Future conversations with these neighbors should be recorded (check your laws. . . some states require notification of clandestine recordings, some don't).

I don't know why some people are like they are. Hmmmm

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
I know a guy who had an uncooperative neighbor with bad behaving cats... Very similar situation to what you describe....
His solution was an out of site, out of mind live trap.... And a one way ride out of town..... Far as I know, no one ever caught on to that... At least in this situation...

Good luck with your problem...

One way ride out of town... You mean another cat just left out on its own to fend for itself. Well the problem with ferals is we humans. Starts out with one cat left out there on its own because some human didn't want to take the responsibility of the cat(pet) and then another and then kittens come along. Let's not blame the cats for wanting to live. Let's blame the people who abandon them...
Old 08-14-2015, 03:19 PM

Well in many towns around here they have what is called TNR. Where yes the cats are trapped but then taken to a vet who will neuter or spay them for a fraction of the cost or even for free. Then if the cats can be socialized they are put up for adoption . If not they are taken back to where they lived... most often to a colony where volunteers take care of them to feed them and make sure they have somewhere to live ... peacefully. And yes neighbors know of those places but have not had any problem with the ferals... There are options out there
I also know you can socialize many ferals because I had a female who was expecting and she brought her kittens here. We socialized them all, with donations got the kittens their first shots and found them good homes. The mother lives here with us, in the house and no better cat around.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 PM

First.... An outright threat to the persons dogs is reason to definately document this situation to the sheriff...
---
His solution was an out of site, out of mind live trap.... And a one way ride out of town..... Far as I know, no one ever caught on to that... Yes the problem was a next door neighbor that did not properly take care of there cats....

The cats that were given the ride out of town by this person on his way to work, never seemed to survive the trip.... Must have been extreme motion sickness, I guess...
---
Well in many towns around here they have what is called TNR. Where yes the cats are trapped but then taken to a vet who will neuter or spay them for a fraction of the cost or even for free. Then if the cats can be socialized they are put up for adoption . If not they are taken back to where they lived... most often to a colony where volunteers take care of them to feed them and make sure they have somewhere to live ... peacefully. And yes neighbors know of those places but have not had any problem with the ferals... There are options out there
---I have seen this option several times before... There was one colony that lived around a veterans in house treatment facility next to a river. Perfect location you would think... Unfortunately it seemed the effort to spay/neuter did not seem to stabilize the population.. Very few if any of this population was able to be socialized... And they were NOT good neighbors to the residents near this facility... It was not a good outcome to the kind of effort you describe...

Sometimes when dealing with wild life, and they are essentially wild at that point, sorry to say it doesn't always work out to the best option...
Old 08-16-2015, 03:09 PM

a little feral cat tale (tail):

Lady friend brought a couple of shop cats (neutered)from my city place here to the ranch when I moved out here full time. Kept them penned for a week or so so they could adjust to the new location and get used to being fed here--no problem. Well a couple of ferals started coming around--taking charge of the food bowls etc. Couldn't get close to them. Lady friend would not let me pop them--wanted to catch them and take to the local animal shelter (where obviously they would be put down). Lady friend decides to catch one-sneaks up behind it while it was stuffing it's face and makes a grab. Cat bites her hand. Hand gets real infected real fast.--trap the cat take to the shelter where they put it down--period. Local heath department did not provide rabied testing service, so take the dead cat to the vet where head was removed and send to A&M.

Totals--donation to the shelter, vet fee and postage, hospital for the infection, and medication --all Vs. the few cents a .22 rd costs. Moral--do the right thing first off instead of trying to be nice guy.

JVC
Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Moral--do the right thing first off instead of trying to be nice guy.
===
Quite plainly, being a nice guy is doing what is appropriate at the moment given the conditions present... Now, like said, there is a time and place "nice kitty" will work, unfortunately not often..

The conditions at the moment dictate the reaction required... This applies to all wildlife...

Mother Nature may seem very harsh and hard hearted to many people... But this is the way it is, and we are the ones that have to respond by the reactions required to the situation at the moment.. Mother Nature isn't going to change... NOT very often, or very quickly... That's the way it is..

Wildlife Biology 101..
Keep safe..
Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 PM

I had a cat problem then a coyote showed up and no more cat problem.
My friend is over run with feral cats. He shoots several every week and he is not gaining very fast.
Last estimate was around 40 cats still running around.
I suspect they are being dumped on him.
The highway between me and town is called dead cat alley by the locals.
Houses are close to the road and cars are going 55 so loose animals don't last long.
Animal control is overwhelmed and not much help.
If a neighbor threatened me or my animals the police would be involved real fast.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM

Where my mother grew up in Kentucky, feral cats were dealt with swiftly and harshly. These were old school hill folk who had no qualms about scooping up litters of kittens, placing them into weighted burlap bags, and then dumping them in the deep part of the creek. Pregnant mother cats were routinely shot to prevent the spreading of unwanted cats. Nobody cared one iota either. Feral cats meant that their own snake and mouse catchers couldn't do their jobs and nobody wanted the extra mouths eating what little food they put out. People today are too squishy about cats. IMO shoot shovel and shut up... My neighbor's cat is going to disappear one night if I catch it pissing on my tires again.