BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Member Websites > Websites & Blogs

Websites & Blogs Informational, personal, and other non-business sites

Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Garden Journal

http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal or Blog.

Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial processed food. Many pictures.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:08 PM

wow! Do you have a picture of your pantry area. I bet that is neat too. I think I'll start a journal this year. Not sure now but being I am at the end of the season I could just count. Right now a batch of whole tomatoes and a batch of tomato juice is being water bath. That tomatoe/cucumber sounds great.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie-bountiful View Post
wow! Do you have a picture of your pantry area. I bet that is neat too. I think I'll start a journal this year. Not sure now but being I am at the end of the season I could just count. Right now a batch of whole tomatoes and a batch of tomato juice is being water bath. That tomatoe/cucumber sounds great.
My pantry area for the jars is along the wall of the dining room. I must see the jar tops to see what they contain. The jars are in boxes of 12. They are heavy and one doesn't want to move them around to select one particular type.

I am of the opinion that one cannot have too many tomatoes, alone or mixed with various vegetables.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM

I agree with the tomatoes. I don't see how you can can that much though. I work half the day every day on canning and can't come close to you. I did get my 110 quarts of tomatoes plus 30 quarts of juice (counted last night) and not sure how many sauce, spagetti sauce and salsa I did but i am still getting tomatoes but a much lower rate. End of the season I am thinking.

Husband built a room onto the back of the house just for storing the jars. It is pretty too with cabinets to hold the canning equipment. maybe when he retires I'll be able to do as much as you. your canning is impressive.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Canning does tke time. I usually do a batch once a day. From start to finish it usually takes about three hours of continuopus effort.

In my case rhe hand blender and food mill are time savers and fairly efficient.