BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default In the Market - New Puppy

We should have one selected by the end of the weekend. Will be a hunting dog. My preference was a Red Lab the GF's is a Golden.

Her whole family has Goldens, and I've enjoyed hunting with them, so I guess the question is pretty much settled.

The positive thing is that a Golden with good bloodlines is less than half of a Red Lab.

So, I guess the savings will justify picking up a new firearm. Heh.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 AM

This was a win win situation , you make your GF happy and she makes you happy, you get a golden (great dogs) and you get a new gun. Can't get any better then that.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 PM

Deposit Down.

Saw the parents - nice combination. Both have the type of coat we prefer. Good size on the Father, but not overly large. Block head type vs Narrow head.

The male pup we chose was the middle size of the three males in the litter. All three were extremely similar, but with just a little difference in body and head size.

I picked up one of those deodorant type of sticks with grouse scent, and put a little on the inside of my arm. The other two didn't really pay much attention to it, but this one stopped and sniffed it, then licked the spot. Pretty much sold me. Probably doesn't mean anything, but it was kind of a voodoo test for me.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6333dc8d.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps372d1bfd.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8e1ac624.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 AM

Amazing face, love the color, we had a reddish golden he was probably the best dog we've had. Goldens have a smell all their own, like no other dog. Good luck with him.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Neat.....
Be sure to post pictures of pup.... And gun....

Enjoy
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 AM

He's quite the handful

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...psf8bfc08d.jpg

Off button pushed

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps64e9f1e0.jpg

He quite attached to the older dog, and vice versa.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9765e36.jpg
Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 AM

Well, the pup is a bit over 5 months now. He's bigger in stature than our female golden.

He loves playing ball, and brings it back and gives pretty much voluntarily. Started working with a training dummy with wings strapped on it, at first he thought of it as a trophy and just pranced around without retrieving it. So took the wings off, and started playing fetch in an enclosed space. Now it's not a trophy, but a game. Switched to playing fetch with the dummy out in the yard, and he's retrieving and giving now - so guess that worked. Put the wings back on it, and he's retrieving without the trophy and\or chewing syndrome.

Working him on trails in public land. At first, he was a bit timid - not running off the trail and staying under my feet. After a few weeks of this, we take off from the trail, and he's nosing and exploring pretty good.

He has a strong dominant personality, but not alpha to me (rassling is a good thing!).

It's been quite a few years since I've had a hunting partner, I sure am looking forward to more training and getting our first hunting season going! So far far away, that bird season ..
Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Nice looking pup Kachad, and it sounds like he's coming along well with his training. It's nice to have a huntin' buddy, for sure. Especially one that retrieves for you. I hope the two of you have a lot of good times together.

As luck would have it, I'm in the same boat with you. I've had beagles most of my life, with the exception of the past few years. A buddy stopped in one day to show me something he'd just got, and when I went out to his truck there's a 3 month old beagle pup looking at me out the window. Of course I instantly fell in love with it. You can imagine how happy I was when he told me his friend had one more pup to get rid of. Long story short, I have a new huntin' buddy too. He's five and a half months old, and coming along nicely. He still has a lot to learn, but he shows real promise with the rabbits. Ya' can't beat it, can ya'?

Bob

Last edited by Ithaca37; 01-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM

At the last hen party I attended, (Yeah, I can call it that, but you guys probably shouldn't!) - there was a lot of discussion about whether or not "love at first sight" is real.

OH YEAH, it's real! PUPPIES!

Best friend, excellent partner, instant family member & way better company than the in-laws could ever hope to be!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca37 View Post
Nice looking pup Kachad, and it sounds like he's coming along well with his training. It's nice to have a huntin' buddy, for sure. Especially one that retrieves for you. I hope the two of you have a lot of good times together.

As luck would have it, I'm in the same boat with you. I've have had beagles most of my life, with the exception of the past few years. A buddy stopped in one day to show me something he'd just got, and when I went out to his truck there's a 3 month old beagle pup looking at me out the window. Of course I instantly fell in love with it. You can imagine how happy I was when he told me his friend had one more pup to get rid of. Long story short, I have a new huntin' buddy too. He's five and a half months old, and coming along nicely. He still has a lot to learn, but he shows real promise with the rabbits. Ya' can't beat it, can ya'?

Bob
Nope, you can't beat it. I have never once just "went looking" at pups and come back empty handed.