BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 AM

Red face WOW !!

Not a question this time...just an observation. My refrigerator went completely out two months ago. Since then we have only been using the "garage frig". Since then the electric bill has been $56/month lower. WOW! What a demonstration that we need to be diligent about finding a low energy use frig when we replace!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Too bad you had a major appliance quit... That can be an issue you don't need at some times of life...

I haven't been appliance shopping since I was attempting to teach my kids to refill the ice cube trays... It didn't work, they never figured out that formula... In my house at least...

I'm also sure appliances have made good progress in efficiency and such in the last number of years... However, I'm also sure the balance of price, efficiency, and stuff like that is quite different than back when I gave up and got my first ice maker fridge....

There will be those here who will be up to date on that kind of info..

Good luck...
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM

I have an old chest freezer that just keeps running - must be 25 years old now. I often wonder how much electicity it is using. Plus the fact that it is only half full most of the time now. I've been looking at smaller upright freezers just in case the old one quits soon. I am tempted to get one of those Kill-A-Watt meters to see how my appliances are running and how much they cost.

But seeing how your electric bill went down by $56 gives me pause - that is almost what my whole electric bill is every month!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:10 PM

That's why I just roll my eyes when I hear people talk about getting solar panels to run an air conditioner.
Refrigerators are the biggest energy users AFTER the Air Conditioner !
One appliance makes a big difference when it's a big energy hog.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM

And just to think...the frig that went out was a little thing. It looked a little like one dorm size frig sitting on top of another. It was avacado green so was probably from the 70s. My first mistake was to think that its being small meant that it would use less power. I would love to replace it with one of about 19 c.f. Maybe a Whirlpool or GE brand. None of those French door models for me, though. Does anyone even know what they are supposed to be good for ? (Except for being stylish!) I don't have a television so I missed the commercials that taught that "lesson".
Old 09-09-2014, 02:35 PM

I don't know about the french door models. Also don't know why the big deal about stainless steel appliances now.

One thing I do know that if/when we replace our refrigerator, it will have the freezer at the bottom instead of the top. Who designed these things in the first place where you have to stoop down to just about floor level to get anything in or out of the refrigerator? Not that I can afford it, but I am so tempted to replace ours just for that fact......
Old 09-09-2014, 05:12 PM

My wife really wants one of those new French door refrigerators.
I was shocked when she was looking and the were $3000 and up.
No way am I paying that much for a refrigerator.
The one we have now works OK and it is paid for.
I ordered a Kill a Watt device and it will be interesting to see just how much some of the things in our house use.
We have a wireless printer that just sits in the corner for weeks between usage and my wife never turns it off.
Bet she will when she finds out how much it costs.
One TV is a plasma and I'm betting it uses a bunch of power when it's not turned on.
That thing is always warm.

When you replace your appliance remember to check with the power company for energy rebates.
My brother insulated his attic. That cost him $700 and his electric company sent him $350 back.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 PM

We get a rebate of $50 for a new refrigerator and $25 for a new freezer from our electric company - plus they will pick up the old unit for free.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM

OH...rebates ! Thanks for that idea. I hadn't even thought of that. You guys are full of good thoughts.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Check Lowes I know they have areas where they put their scratch and dents at. You can bargain with them a little on the price. IF you catch them at the right time you can get also get 12 or 18 months same as cash if you cannot afford the whole amount. Usually reserved for purchases that total $299 or above.

Home Depot probably has the same thing.

I had a small dorm size refrigerator in my workshop. When I shut it down my elec for the shop dropped $40 a month. I sold it for $60. I figured for $40 I can walk up to the house and get a cold drink.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM

I got my Kill A Watt meter yesterday.
I was surprised how little power that printer uses.
On all the time and it works out to less than $2 a year just sitting idle.
My laptop uses $30 worth of power in a year.
I'm going to check the freezer and see what it uses.
Fun little gadget and worth the $30 it cost me.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
I got my Kill A Watt meter yesterday.
I was surprised how little power that printer uses.
On all the time and it works out to less than $2 a year just sitting idle.
My laptop uses $30 worth of power in a year.
I'm going to check the freezer and see what it uses.
Fun little gadget and worth the $30 it cost me.
I've been meaning to buy one for a while. Like you say I would think it pretty neat to know exactly what each appliance is using in real dollars.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM

I took needed a freezer----researched and came up with a small Sunbeam upright.
12amp----best I could find it should cost about $48.00 a year.

My Tv also---its about 18.00 a year.

Coaltrain--my folks had one of those huge chest freezers---for over 20 years.
It just wouldnt quit----they handed it down to me i used it for at least another 10 years.
energy hogs----But that was back in the day of cheap electricity.

I think one of the big energy hogs is an electric water heaters.
I have an energy saver wrap for it.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Yeah - that's why I want to get one of those kill-a-watt meters to see how much that big old chest freezer is actually costing me. I really should replace it - the seal on the lid on one corner has gone bad. I put a 1/2 cinder block on the lid to make it seal. Poor Mrs. Coaltrain has to remove and replace that block every day when getting in the freezer.......

We also have an electric water heater but it is only a 40 gallon. I'd like to know how much that uses also but those meters won't work on 220v direct wired appliances. I do notice quite a difference in the summer when Mrs. Coaltrain hangs the laundry out instead of using the dryer.

But all in all - got my electric bill yesterday - $55 - can't complain much about that!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Out of all the saving money on utilities I have been trying to do, this is one place I have completely overlooked.
I have a fridge that my land lord gave me when we first moved in because I didn't know that he didn't furnish stove and refrigerator, and I didn't have one, and it is probably a pre-WWII model. I'd hate to think of what that thing cost to run but I have been wanting a new one from day one anyway.
Since I have about finished the boiler and won't be paying $600 plus light bills this winter, maybe it's time to upgrade.
I built the boiler to kill the heating bill so I may as well buy a new refrigerator to kill that one too. They had a nice looking one at Lowe's yesterday that was a floor model knocked down from $2,495 to $1,250. A freezer in the bottom that would eat three of my freezers and still have room to hold a burp, and 42 inch wide double doors up top. If they would lay them away I'd have put about $500 down on it yesterday but of course they don't, and it'll be gone by next month before I could get it. Oh well. Maybe later.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM

$2495 (or even $1250) for a refrigerator - wow!

And bottom freezer refrigerators are very inefficient compared to the top freezer models - plus the double doors make it even worse.

Do you want style or efficiency?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 PM

That is crazy! I know someone who has an old refrigerator from the 60s, and it sucks up an ungodly amount of energy. Just goes to show that a lot of your power bill really just depends on the types of appliances you’re using. I don’t think any of those older refrigerator models were really designed for efficiency anyway, since it wasn’t that big of an issue back in the day.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM

coaltrain why do you say that bottom freezers are less efficient than top???My understanding is that the bottom drawer type is much more efficient than a top which dumps all the cold air every time you open it? Am I wrong in my thinking on this??

Have a new french double door on top bottom freezer in the house. Have a small chest type in the garage along with the old standard freezer on top type out there also. Last electric bill was right at 50.00, and we had a couple of below freezing nights. Usually runs around 75-80 during the summer with the mini splits doing A/c duty. Only big shock was last Jan--nearly 200.00, the highest bill I've had since moving out here 4 years ago. Was an extremely cold month (for these parts), and apparently the heatpump feature on the minisplits was working extra hard--even with the thermostat set to 60. Any real cold weather this winter, I probably will supplement with one of those little infrared heaters I have in storage .

JVC
Old 12-16-2015, 05:46 PM

Coal train is right. Maybe not " energy hogs" but they do use more ( 10-20%) because the compressor is located at bottom and freezer at top. Compressors generate lots of heat and the further it is from the freezer the better and less energy used.

Put the freezer on the bottom and it has to work harder to make up for the heat from the compressor.

Separate frig and freezer . That's what we have.

But if you do get a new combo get freezer on top and certainly no ice or wAter dispenser .
But the biggest is buy as small as you can .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-16-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM

What MF says it true - plus some models will have 2 separate compressors for the same reason. 2 smaller compressors will use more energy that one larger one.