BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Rambling About Hunting - Lets just Talk

Open thread, no specific topic other than being out in the woods and talking to each other about what we see and what our plans are ...

I walked my property this weekend, which is Grouse opener - Goose started last weekend.

Didn't see any Grouse, which is fine - it's still a bit early. I hear that we have +30% drum counts this year, which means we should be on the upswing of the population cycle. Not sure what year we are into it.

I repositioned three trail cams:

1: Put a trail cam facing the small draw that goes through my property, right at the place I shot the buck last year.

2: Found a nice area where three trails come together at. Should be a common watering spot. It's right off the river, so could be either a bow or rifle stand. Would be nice to put a stand in sight of the river, more stuff to look at.

3: Relocated a cam from a trail to where the trailer is. I've spotted some big buck tracks going right through the camp to a watering spot, along with some pawed-critters. Plus is, we get to see what is coming through our camp.

Next time I go up, I will scout some more public land areas, set up a blind for geese and duck - right off the river, and see if the grouse start to become active.

This is the time to live, Boys! Looking forward to reading your ramblings .....
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM

I curious to know/see what you are picking up on your trail cams...

I haven't put mine out.. Just haven't got my butt in gear yet..

With some small game seasons open, bear season, bow deer season may be open now, and some early migratory bird seasons may be open..

Should start to move game around a little... Even if the woods are pretty much still full leaf mode...

Good luck...
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Son #2 got a caribou last week, Son #1 shot a moose last night. We have three moose hanging around the place causing havoc but the bull isn't legal, so I can't do anything about it. Moose are like deer in many places--giant rats that eat your trees and produce and generally cause problems.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Son #2 got a caribou last week, Son #1 shot a moose last night. We have three moose hanging around the place causing havoc but the bull isn't legal, so I can't do anything about it. Moose are like deer in many places--giant rats that eat your trees and produce and generally cause problems.
Congratulations on both.

There will once again be no Moose season here in MN due to declining populations.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 AM

PICTURES..... WE NEED PICTURES.....
===
Are you or some of yours in the areas where you can harvest subsistence animals... ?? I know some areas people can take, like 5 caribou a year to exist on...

Good luck....
Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
===
Are you or some of yours in the areas where you can harvest subsistence animals... ?? I know some areas people can take, like 5 caribou a year to exist on...

Good luck....
The real subsistence area are in the Bush (off the road system) but we do have what they call tier one and tier two hunts that are considered subsistence. In Northwest Alaska, there are areas where you can take several caribou A DAY for subsistence, but you really have to live there for any of that to be practical. We have a bull, a cow and a calf hanging around here causing trouble, but none are legal for me to harvest. We have never had them around here when the ground isn't covered by snow until the last few years (plenty of them in winter), and I always attributed that to the bears down the creek eating salmon. I guess there aren't bears there anymore, or the moose aren't afraid of them. I haven't gone down to check on the bears....
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Last weekend was fairly cool so thought maybe this weekend I might take the bow out and see if any deer walk by. But today it was near 90 and tomorrow mid 80s, so I don't think I'll be out there. I'd be able to take care of one if I got one, but I just don't feel like sitting out when it's that hot.

So instead I'll keep at the wood cutting so that is out of the way and won't interfere with deer hunting once it cools down.

Also need to put the cover over the tripod stand this week. It's a little tough shooting archery out of the tripod when the top is on, but you tend to stick out like a sore thumb without it. I've had a camera near the tripod which overlooks a food plot and there are deer there about every evening.

Here's a picture from a week ago. The deer in front are about 17 yards from the tripod.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:54 AM

Nice little herd you have there, Hunter. Where's the horns?

Haven't had any horns on the trail cams yet, have a series of single does on the cam where I shot my buck last year. No buck there yet, but that should change when the rut comes on.

Walked for grouse a little bit, was good exercise for me, my future BIL, and the dogs. Heard two and one wood cock. Need the foliage to fall.

Took the GF out for a nice walk, colors are at about 50% peak. Was nice.

Next two weeks will determine if I get the bow out, might just stay with rifle this year - most likely the last season for the future FIL, so may not want to get a deer early ..... or it's a good excuse to scout more and more ....
Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Moved one trail camera to the oats I planted to see if they are using it. Didn't see much activity for the first few days, but once they found it and figured out what it was they were using it.

As far as bucks go I've identified 7 different bucks, not counting the little ones. It takes a bit of going back and forth between pictures looking at how many points and on which side they may have more. Size of brow tines and is the left one longer then the right or are they both big or small. Split brow tines and small stickers on antlers helps separate one from the other.

Once they are all identified we kind of rate them top to bottom, and pick out any we want left alone. There are four of us that hunt the area, and this way each guy get familiar with all of them and knows which ones to let walk and which ones he can take.

I'd love to start bow hunting, but it's just been too warm. 80 during the day is a bit much for me. Plus the mosquitoes are the worst I've ever seen. In the next couple days I need to move my freezer over to the new barn and try out the Johnson control unit so see if the freezer will work for a cooler.

Long range says some 60s next week with 40s at night. If that's the case I'll head out bow hunting, at least in the evening. Give me a chance to try my Thermacell again to keep those mosquitoes away.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Default bird retriving dogs

what are the best types of dogs to get for bird retrieving? my husband is very interested in this. he is currently a bow hunter. he hunts with a fred bear bow with a 70 lb draw on it. he has a buddy also that runs dogs on pigs and deer... I know nothing of hunting could someone give me a little insight. he said they train the dogs to take the pig down by the ear. but what produce goes into training the dog for that. can you have the same dog to bird retrieve and pig hunt???? He heard that the blue and black mouth currs are really good dogs to run with the pigs..... someone help lol
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 PM

I've always thought Labs were good for retrieving birds. Doubt they'd work for pigs though.

If looking at Labs for a retriever a person needs to check bloodlines today. Years ago a Lab was a retriever, but today many are used for field trials much like pointers or setters. Problem is those dogs aren't used for retrieving, and to me seem a little more hyper then the true retriever bloodlines. It's almost like there are two kinds of Labs today.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
I've always thought Labs were good for retrieving birds. Doubt they'd work for pigs though.

If looking at Labs for a retriever a person needs to check bloodlines today. Years ago a Lab was a retriever, but today many are used for field trials much like pointers or setters. Problem is those dogs aren't used for retrieving, and to me seem a little more hyper then the true retriever bloodlines. It's almost like there are two kinds of Labs today.

Hubby said he doesn't want a lab lol what other dogs are good for that? We have a 3 yr old pit bull bull how hard would it be to tea in him at such a mature age?
Are pits good dogs for retrieving
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM

I don't think I'd consider a pit to be a retriever, but if it will bring back what it goes after I guess it's retrieving. I think asking a non retrieving dog to be a retriever is like asking an Angus cow to produce milk like a Holstein. Yes they can both produce milk, but clearly one is not bred for it.

I think retrieving has to be part of their background to make a good retriever. For me the Lab, the Golden, and the Chesapeake are probably the best retrievers. That's not to say they are the only retrievers, but they would be my preference. Then again most of my past need for a retriever was for waterfowl, and those three are the ones most used in waterfowl hunting.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesoaper View Post
what are the best types of dogs to get for bird retrieving?
This is kind of complicated question.

What's the primary bird that you would be hunting?

What geographic area, i.e., what weather extremes would the dog be exposed to?

I mostly hunt grouse and pheasant in MN. I used to hunt behind German Shorthair pointers. Fine dogs - but not the type of dog you would typically use for duck and geese.

If you're hunting waterfowl, you'll be out when it's cold - and the dogs will be wet. That's where different breeds are preferred - that can tolerate that cold better, say Labs, Goldens, etc..

So for me, answering those two questions are the first steps to consider what type of dog to get.

I've hunted behind Goldens for the last 5 years or so - and they have been really good all around dogs. So, for me - we just picked up another.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:56 AM

Can't wait for Sunday - after doing some work here at home, going up to the property Sun thru Saturday to scout, hunt grouse, and clear some land.

Not going to watch news at all.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Took my first doe of the year. We've been talking about needing some hamburger, and when I was at the store and saw it over $4 I said that's enough. We have a permit called the river permit that can be used within 3 miles of some of the rivers. It is for antlerless deer only and runs from Sept 1 to Jan. You use whatever weapon is legal for the time you are hunting. Archery from Sept to Nov, rifle for 10 days in Nov, and blackpowder during Dec. But there is also 10 days in Oct when you can use a rifle.

So I picked up one on line on Tue. $11 for 2 does. Saw a couple does Wed evening, but there was a decent 4x4 buck with them, he spooked and took them with him.

After they left a small buck came in and then a nice 5x5. The 5x5 made me wish I had my bow and he was closer. Thur evening I had one small doe come in and a real big 4x4. The one I figured I wanted. Again I wished I had my bow and he was a bit closer. Friday evening I moved to a different stand on the same foodplot which would put me closer to where I'd seen the deer come in. Had three does come in early, and decided to take one before one of those big bucks would show up and now be close enough, but me still without my bow.

So took the first doe of the year, and hung the first deer in my new barn. Quartered her out Sat, and put her in the chest freezer I'd hooked up to the Johnson control unit. Have it set for 38 degrees, and it keeps it from 36 to 40 degrees. Picked up a brisket at Wal Mart yesterday, and today we'll bone everything out and make hamburger.

Now I can dig the bow back out and think about those bucks.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 AM

Nice. Glad to see you putting that modified chest freezer to good use.

Fresh venison .... yummy.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM

There are four of us that hunt the area, so we split it four ways. When the next guy gets one we'll split his four ways too.

The brisket cost $45 and we ended up with 40# of hamburger. I said each guy could chip in $11 on the brisket and get 10# of hamburger, which gives them hamburger at $1.10 a pound. Lot better then that $4 a pound stuff at the store.

And even if I add the cost of the license, which was $11, that still makes for cheap eating. Actually that $11 is good for 2 deer so that would cut it some more. Of course you can't count your chickens before they hatch, so saying you'll get the second deer for the tag and getting it can be two different things.

Also bought a new ground blind to set on my platform. Menards put them on sale and I couldn't resist. My bow is a little older so it's also a little bigger. That size makes it harder to shoot out of a smaller ground blind. This ground blind is a lot bigger so I should have no problem. I sit the ground blind on top of a platform I built that is 6' by 6' and 6' tall. The platform sits next to one of our food plots.

It was too windy to set it up yesterday when I got it, and may be a bit too windy today, we'll see later this afternoon. But it sounds like the wind will let off enough tomorrow for sure so I can get it set up and ready to use. I set it on the platform and then use screws and big washers at each corner where you'd usually poke ground stakes into the dirt. Once I get it set up I'll take some pictures.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 AM

Spent two evenings hiking for grouse. Saw a fair amount, bagged 2 and my friends dog ran down and retrieved another (that wasn't even shot). Guess he isn't counting on us hitting them, he's kind of right.

Added one woodcock to the pot yesterday. I don't like eating them, as sometimes I think they will transfer their crazy dumb woodcock disease to me. I'll fry it up anyways.

Grouse drum counts were supposed to be up 34% or so this year, but have not seen the represented with numbers in the field.

No bow hunting this year. Too much work to do on the property.

Scouting for rifle has indicated very little buck activity. We should be seeing rubs starting and even a few scrapes - but virtually nothing. Strange.

Brushed out a new trail and finished hanging a stand for a friend. I have my one stand up on my property and will be hanging another this week - down by the river.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Getting down to the deer stand just got a lot warmer for this hunting season.