BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Default LOOKING FOR A EXTREMELY THICK PATCH QUILT

Being that winter is right around the corner, I've been looking petty hard for really thick patch quilts. From what I've found on the internet what certain sites call thick isnt much as thick as a standard quilt. I even went to place up the road where the Amish sell there quilts and can't find what I'm looking for...the Amish ones where beautiful just not real thick.

So I guess what I'm asking, does anyone know of a place I could find these at. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 AM

The batting would determine how warm it is cotton batting is warm so is wool batting. Have you asked the Amish what batting they use? I don't think thickness has a lot to do with warmth.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 AM

No I really didn't think to ask what type of batting they used. I had 2 patch quilts(queen size) that each of them probley weighed close to 10lbs or more ha ha lol. They were extremely warm. I think one of my kin folk had made them back in the 70's. And I believe what if felt like to me was cotton batting but almost as if they cramed it with pillow stuffing or just stright unprocesed sheeps wool-ha ha and thru the years it kinda just broke down feeling kinda lumpy lol...but I tell ya it might not have won any awards for being petty...it sure was warm. Lol...

Thanks for replying susang
Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 AM

My grand mother used to make quilts that were tied with a batted wool inside. The wool was in like a cheese cloth type cloth and then put in quilt and tied.
I only hand or machine quilt my quilts and did try wool once but it was very hard on my hands. I do cotton all the time I am cautious about thread and only use cotton. I know some 'Amish' quilts are iffy, but if they are true Amish fashion they should be able to tell you what the batting is. You can also look at the hand quilting and colors in the quilt to determine authenticity.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 AM

I will have to ask them on the batting. I know the authenticity is correct cause the whole little area there is all. Amish. They bring the quilts and other goods to the market on horse and buggy. Thanks so much on this info.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I am an old quilt person---hunt them in the summer.
I have one that is old and amazingly still in great shape.

In our State--with automatic heat/a/c not many folks use them.

I remember reading a report that covers that are to heavy you dont sleep well and will make you tired from turning etc.at night.(You know how reports are?)

You could use double batting--2 layers perhaps,but it would be more work to sew.
I just looked at some batting and it all seems standard.

I have 7 quilts now---couldnt find any this summer and have given the grandkids some.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

I got a twin sized one a couple of years ago at Marshall's. If you can find one, they're outlets for the ends & bits left from stock from other stores and they're worth watching. My red crazy quilt is so heavy that I can't sleep under it! It was under $40, too. I also got some fleece sheets there for about half what they are in department stores and they're unbelievably warm and soft - about a gazillion times warmer than flannel, and wear better, too. (New flannel sheets are thin, scratchy junk, at least, all that I've been able to find.)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM

I make the rag quilts and I have started using the organic flat batting from Hobby Lobby. I didn't think it would really make them that warm but my daughter, I made them a queen size, she said theirs is so warm that her husband kicks it off through the night. I just made the grandbabies each a twin size and they are heavy and going to be very warm. But I also use cotton, flannel and homespun materials for the outsides of the quilt.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:11 AM

hillbilly79,

Check this out:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...less/18357293/

I saved a used (but in good shape) queen-sized mattress pad to cushion a dog bed.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
hillbilly79,

Check this out:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...less/18357293/

I saved a used (but in good shape) queen-sized mattress pad to cushion a dog bed.

Connie, are you from Green County?