BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Considering a Ruger LCP or LC9, or S&W Bodyguard

Anyone have one of these pistols? And if so how do you like them? I've been wanting a small carry gun for a long time. I have other handguns but nothing that I would consider carrying all the time. My one 9mm is just too big so its relegated as a home defense weapon. My .22 mini revolver is just too small and inaccurate to be anything more than an across the card table gun. I want something that will give me some stand off power, but will be small enough for every day carry. I've narrowed my choices to the those above, as they get good writeups, and are powerful enough to be a viable protective firearm. I wish they made the LC9 a little smaller but can accept it as is. Since I already have a 9mm that would be a plus since I'd not need to stock another calliber of ammo.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Master Pontificator

I carry the LCP.....got caught up in the "little bit bigger-ites".......and ended up not carrying anything.

I don't go looking for a fight, and won't take on a group so the LCP and an extra extended 10 rd magazine.....hope fully keep trouble a bay.

Anything is better than nothing...If you don't carry anything it won't do ya any good.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Default LCP

I have several friends that carry the LCP, some active and retired LE, they really like it.

My EDC was the S&W 642 but my wife has now taken ownership.

I now carry a Kahr CW9. I wear Walmart Talos (cheap-$) cargo shorts until the cold weather kicks in . The CW9 fits well in my right pocket, in a DeSantis pocket holster . I also carry a spare magazine in a Remora magazine pouch (pocket) . When it does cool down here (deep south) which is not too often, I carry the CW9 in a Fobus C-21B paddle holster with a light jacket or vest . If you like carrying in your waist band Remora makes nice holsters, I have one and it is very comfortable .

http://www.desantisholster.com/THE-NEMESIS

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izM0fiz6kk (for the lady)

Last edited by Sacalait50; 09-27-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 AM

I just purchased a Ruger LCP with the laser sight.I really like this pistol.I just went on a trip and carried it in my front pants pocket.It's hardly noticeable,like a cellphone in your pocket.I believe the laser sight by itself will deter some would-be attackers.

The.380 ammo is rather pricey,$1 per round.However,it's not for target shooting;it's for letting the air out of some thug's chest,if need be.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:37 AM
Master Pontificator

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=355857

Here is a link to a rather thorough discussion on this very topic. The OP finaly went with the Ruger LCP .380. The reasoning for it was that when considering the issue of lethality, the LCP is NOT considered as lethal a weapon as many others. This then supports the issue of "deterring" and minimizing the threat, rather than intended mortality.

Have no misgiving...the LCP will kill. The issue is "intent".
Read the entire thread and then you'll probably go with the LCP. You will encounter a number of opinions some of which are not helpful but many are quite honest and helpful.

Hope this helps.
//BT//
Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Timely thread for me. Been contemplating a small pistol and didn't even know where to start. I did some research now on the Rugers and looks like something I want. Plus.......both are on special right now at my gun shop.

After reading the thread that Icu4dzs posted, I think I am leaning toward the 9mm. I don't know the cost difference of the 9mm vs. .380 ammo but that will make up my mind if there is a big difference in cost.

Been many years since I bought a handgun. I remember there being a 7 day waiting period if you didn't have a conceal permit in PA. From what I just looked up now that is not the case anymore - handguns just go through the same computerized background check as rifles and shotguns. Am I correct on this?

Edit to add: I see that Ruger has a rebate of some kind where you get a free extra magazine and and a free box of 20 ammo with the LCP -
Old 09-28-2014, 03:40 PM

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1595471

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1595475

here is a direct comparison from one dealer

one can get 1000 rds .380 (WPA) for about 300.00. the same in 9mm is 239.00

SG has a lot of ammo in stock right now if anyone is looking. no .22lr though

JVC

Last edited by jvcstone; 09-28-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Thanks for that comparison - not a drastic difference.

I saw a good video on youtube comparing the LCP and LC9 - the LCP looks really small there.

Going to town on Wednesday to handle them both.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 AM

I went with the LCP. Picked it up yesterday, shot it today. I looked at all three that I mentioned above. I liked the bodyguard's grip better than the LCP however it is heavier and costs $30.00 more. The LC9 is a nice gun but heavier still, larger, and more costly than the bodyguard (LC9 costs $380.00). My main criteria was size, and weight, so I went with the LCP.

Its got more recoil than I thought, but I was not totally caught off guard with it. I've shot .380 pistols before. I settled down after about the first or second mag. At about 10 yards I was keeping most shots within a pie plate. I don't see myself shooting this gun a lot as you do start to feel the recoil after about 15 or 20 rounds. I expected this from such a small gun. I bought Fiocci 95 grain rounds and my son and I put 40 rounds through the gun. It ran flawlessly. I did notice the guide rod was a little scored from the springs. I researched and evidently this is a weak spot with these guns. I bought two extra guide rods on Ruger's site just to have around. At only $2.00 each they're easily replaceable. Again I don't think this gun will see a lot of range time and I don't think they're meant to be fired in the plinker mode anyway. Will probably fire another box or so of ammo through it for break in, then will fire it once in a while to keep proficient with it. For me this is an up close defense gun and at 7 to 10 yards its not hard to keep the shots in a silhouette target and that's all I'm concerned with.

To the poster who thinks .380 is $1 a round. Son you had better shop around. I got a box of 50 from the same place I bought the gun for $17.99.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the update and review! Sounds like you made the right choice for yourself.
And I'm glad you mentioned the recoil. In my thread about shotguns I found that I can handle only very little recoil now with this RA. Any significant recoil with a handgun will affect my wrist badly.

I guess the special at my gun dealer is pretty good - the LC9 is listed for $300.

Now probably going to go with the SR22 for myself.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Yes, if you are recoil sensitive, then this may not be the right gun for you. It does bark pretty good and you do feel the recoil in the area between the thumb and index finger. I remembered this from back when I used to shoot my dad's POS Bryco Arms 380....That thing was brutal to shoot and after about 10 rounds you had to put it down for a few minutes. The LCP fortunately isn't as bad as that. My son and I put 40 rounds through the gun and I could've shot more. I did notice the little recoil spring guide rod is scored a little. I should've probably cleaned the gun before I took it to the range, as I usually do, but I was anxious to fire it and didn't so this may be the reason. But, I have read the guide rods are kinda soft and are meant to wear, I guess so a more expensive part like the slide does not wear instead. So if you were to buy one I think its a good idea to get a few guide rods, recoil springs etc to have around as spares. I don't see the guide rod holding up though for more than a couple hundred rounds and although this is bothersome, the guide rods are only $2.00 a piece so they are cheaply and easily replaced. Since this is to be a carry gun and not a weekend plinker, I can live with occasional guide rod replacement. There is also an aftermarket stainless steel guide rod yo ucan purchase but I'm not sure I'd want to go that route as noone has shown any evidence that this harder rod will not harm the slide. Again I'll live with the occasional worn guide rod having to be replaced.

Ruger has a promotional giveaway going on right now until some time in November. If you buy an LCP or their .22LR pistol (don't recall model) you can redeem a free box of ammunition, and a free magazine. Of course if you live in one of the communist states, you will get a $50 gift card lieu of the other items. I sent for my free stuff this morning. You will need to fill out a form online, print out and include a copy of your receipt proving purchase. Saves me the trouble of buying an extra mag.

Last edited by Nickathome; 09-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Yeah - I saw that promo - nice deal!

Like you say, if it is for concealed carry it's not like you'll be using it every day. For me I don't really need a conceal carry as I don't go anywhere. Looking for some more plinking fun like with my 22 rifles plus a nice little one to carry on walks around the property. A nice belt clip holster will work well for me.

The sale is good until 10/31 - will probably take a ride next week and pick one out. The LCP is $280 and the SR22 is $290. I'm leaning toward the SR22 for the plinking fun right now.......
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
To the poster who thinks .380 is $1 a round. Son you had better shop around. I got a box of 50 from the same place I bought the gun for $17.99.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the top of the line self defense ammo

Quote:
Cor-Bon Self-Defense Ammo 380 ACP 90 Grain Jacketed
www.midwayusa.com Handgun Ammunition 380 ACP Self Defense
$20.49 Out of stock
Cor-Bon Self-Defense Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Box of 20
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the top of the line self defense ammo
True, I hadn't considered that .
Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 PM

Yes,the ammo I bought was JHP,strictly for defense.I was fortunate to find that ammo locally.I know you can buy it in bulk cheaper online.Here in Mississippi ammo is high,if you can find it.Ammo goes like free beer in summer,thanks to the best firearms salesman ever,the POTUS.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 AM

Just picked up another LCP,used,for a good price.Now my wife can pass on her revolver to our daughter so we'll all be packin'.I love it!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM

Congrats on the LCP purchase. I have one and I really like it. I use it with a DeSantis IWB holster and a Crossbreed IWB dual mag holder.