BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:39 AM

Default silver coins

Since we were hijacking the new dollar thread, I thought I'd post this on a new one.

http://coinsite.com/us-silver-coins-...-theyre-worth/

I Googled silver coins and this is the first page I looked at. Seems straightforward enough.

I like looking through my change and looking for "the good coins." Now my kids do it too.
I've tried to convince my hubby to sort through his change before he goes to Coinstar. Alas, he says," Okay, Baby." But his words are hollow...he never does lol
I'm so cheap, I still roll my change myself. I don't wanna pay a machine to sort my coins.
I'd sure like to own a few of those machines, though. I wonder what profit margins those things have...
Old 10-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have not seen a silver coin in change in good many years. Got a wheat penny. Those coin machine it like 9% they charge.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 PM

I never have any change since I use the credit/debit card for everything. But that may be changing very soon.....
Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM

I find a wheat penny every once in a while---have about a dozen in the last 5 years or so. Haven't seen any pre 65 silver coins in change for a long time now, but do buy them if the price is right.

Lately I've been culling out pre83 pennies--98% copper. After that they are zinc coated with copper, and if you look, the coating on the newest pennies is more of a wash--wears off real quick.

Quote:
I never have any change since I use the credit/debit card for everything.
may be that we all will be forced into that. Have been hearing rumors that the fed is going to do away with cash (even the phoney FRN's) and take the country to a cashless, electronic only economy. Having a hard time seeing how that can work in the every day world--garagesales, cash for discount work etc., but in these crazy times, who knows what is coming down the pike next.

JVC
Old 10-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Finding and buying silver coins for the silver content is fine. I once thought that silver, especially silver coins, would be good to have in the highly unlikely event of an economic collapse. But now I don't. To my knowledge precious metals have never been used during such times through out history-- despite what the gold sellers would like you to believe.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-12-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 AM

CT, I do use a debit card, but I've been thinkin lately bout how they track the stuff you buy. That and store discount cards. A few years back I was in Sam's club, and the person in front of me was told they had already purchased a large bag of rice within such and such a time period and there was a limit on it...I told the cashier I hadn't seen a limit sign on the rice. She said they were using the cards to flag purchases. I thought that was weird...specially cuz we live thirty minutes from rice farms lol. I'm sure most of the tracking is for advertisement purposes, but still. I'm not crazy about Wells Fargo employees being able to look at my records and see what color and size undies I buy...just sayin'....
Missouri, I'm wondering if people don't use silver coins in hard times because they don't have any or know the value? I don't know that, just wondering. You make a very good point about that.
JVC So all pre 83 pennies are 98% copper? I don't know a lot about coins. I know people who buy gold and silver...coins and boullion, but never heard of pennies except wheat being of value. I did hear a few years back that it was costing 1.7 cents to mint each penny. I thought that was both sad and funny at the same time.
is there a large market for pennies? I think I might have to look that up. Good thing I ain't a cat...curiosity would've got me a looong time ago lol
Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Don't think that there is a large market for the copper pennies right now, but copper is a valuable commodity, and who knows what the future may hold.

JVC
Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 PM

I actually have fun looking for wheat pennies, but I get so little change that I only find a couple each year. The only silver quarter I ever found was in my brother's car. I didn't want to see it go to waste, so I bought it from him using http://www.coinflation.com/coins/sil...alculator.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
Having a hard time seeing how that can work in the every day world--garagesales, cash for discount work etc., but in these crazy times, who knows what is coming down the pike next.
It could be done through cell phones or similar devices, but it would have major implications on personal freedom!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM

I'm sure that the fed would love to have a cashless society. Then they could figure out how to take those little purchases at garage sales, etc.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:04 AM
Master Pontificator

A little time since someone posted here, but I have always checked my change. Every once in a great while I will still find a silver coin, but it is becoming rarer and rarer with each passing year.

Vacation Bible School at church has a penny contest between the boys and girls. Which ever group has the greatest weight of pennies wins the contest, usually the girls winning about 8 out of ever 10 years. The pennies total usually pays for the meals each night and supplies purchased for the school crafts and other special projects the children do.

The wife has did the craft class for dozens of years now and several years ago she got me to take all the children's photo for insertion into a photo frame which was one of their crafts that year. The craft frame/photo was such a hit that year, it has become a standard for each successive year since, with me continuing to take the photos each year. When not taking photos which only requires one night with an occasional new child's photo on successive nights, I would help wrap the pennies when not taking photos.

In the first few years at wrapping pennies, I might acquire 15 - 20 wheat pennies on a good year, but the yield in more recent years is more like 5 - 8 wheat pennies with another 4 - 6 Canadian pennies. I do replace the pennies extracted and after I started keeping the wheat and Canadian pennies, the other wrappers would also watch for them for me as they were counting & wrapping the pennies.

During the years I have helped wrap pennies during Vacation Bile School, I may have acquire in all total maybe 150 wheat pennies, from an average of 1,200 - 1,500 pounds of pennies collected during the week. Not enough for bragging rights by any means, but more wheat pennies than I would have otherwise.

The reward of finding silver coins or wheat pennies is probably not worth the effort of looking through the change for a silver coin or wheat penny, but it is an old habit, and old habits are hard to break.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 AM

Several months ago I sold a small collection of coins to a reputable coin dealer... Not as lucrative as selling gold jewelry.

My dad used to collect Mercury head dimes (cigar boxes full) in the 1960s.

I've got a few buffalo nickels (not a three-legger, though).

Also a 1953 bill (not sure if that has any value; just kept it because it's my birth year and thought it was sort of neat.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 AM

Always check my money, be it bills or change. I've found more wheat pennies as of late - I often wonder if it happens because someone spends money found in Grandma's house....
Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellrae View Post
Since we were hijacking the new dollar thread, I thought I'd post this on a new one.

http://coinsite.com/us-silver-coins-...-theyre-worth/

I Googled silver coins and this is the first page I looked at. Seems straightforward enough.

I like looking through my change and looking for "the good coins." Now my kids do it too.
I've tried to convince my hubby to sort through his change before he goes to Coinstar. Alas, he says," Okay, Baby." But his words are hollow...he never does lol
I'm so cheap, I still roll my change myself. I don't wanna pay a machine to sort my coins.
I'd sure like to own a few of those machines, though. I wonder what profit margins those things have...

i find them in my change a few times a year, just this fall i found a mercury dime in my change from the dollar tree. i asked the clerc if she had any more and there was about a dozen old silver coins that came in from the same person. aparently the person found the coins in their mothers estate, big jar full, and went out spending it at face value. most of the time when i find them its because people just don't realize what it is. but i don't keep them myself, i sell or trade them. I once bought a mossburg 500, never fired, with 150 rounds of turkey shot and rifled slugs, for only $4 (face value, i traded the guy 4 silver dollars for it).
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
i find them in my change a few times a year, just this fall i found a mercury dime in my change from the dollar tree. i asked the clerc if she had any more and there was about a dozen old silver coins that came in from the same person. aparently the person found the coins in their mothers estate, big jar full, and went out spending it at face value. most of the time when i find them its because people just don't realize what it is. but i don't keep them myself, i sell or trade them. I once bought a mossburg 500, never fired, with 150 rounds of turkey shot and rifled slugs, for only $4 (face value, i traded the guy 4 silver dollars for it).
That was not a purchase, even using silver coins. That was a steal!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 AM

Thumbs up Real Silver Sounds pretty !

Funny that this thread came up again.....

I came across one a couple weeks ago. I got it out of a vending machine.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cm1js.jpg

I have not seen one in many years !
They do really stand out, and nothing RINGS true like real silver !
Old 06-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Always check your change! A few years ago I stumbled across what I thought was a Canadian dime. Upon closer inspection (with magnifying glass) I discovered that it was a $10 U. S. coin. Further investigation proved that it was a 1/10 oz platinum piece valued at $143 at that time!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacrazy View Post
Always check your change! A few years ago I stumbled across what I thought was a Canadian dime. Upon closer inspection (with magnifying glass) I discovered that it was a $10 U. S. coin. Further investigation proved that it was a 1/10 oz platinum piece valued at $143 at that time!
I'm no longer young, but the older gentleman who sets in the pew ahead of me at church, recently got to talking to me about a coin he had and couldn't determine just what it was. He asked if I would take a look at it and try and identify it for him.

I told him I would. My eyes are not as bright and keen as they once were, but with the help of a magnifying glass, the internet and a coin book, I was able to identify his mystery coin.......... It was a $5 gold piece.

I took it back to him and told him what he had, and suggested he put it in a safe place, rather than carrying it with his other change.

I have never had the good fortune to find a gold coin or platinum piece either one.

As the saying goes, "When my ship comes in, I will probably be at the airport!"