BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

You fellas probably see this already bu I ran across it and though of you all.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...#axzz3QEbz6dJe

This guys got quite video series on his site .
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM

Okay Doc...so you are going 'under ground'?

There is a place near me and they sell the pre cast slabs that are 5'x10' I looked into them about 10 years ago and just the panels were very expensive...I quickly ditched that idea.

We are going with just attic truss's with metal roof. I will price out spray foam when the time comes...the prices have actually fallen in my area since there are a couple more companies doing it.

Here is a link to a guy that did a nice place...close to what we are doing...the first one is his project from start to finish and the second one is his 3 year review and what he would change....good stuff:::

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/for...heltered-home/

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/for...-in-our-house/

Rob Roy from his Cord Wood Construction book and Earth Sheltered Building book makes a lot of good points about adding the rigid insulation on the outside of masonry regarding moisture, dew point, heat retention...his Earth Sheltered Building book is a must have in my opinion.

....always something to look at and figure out...
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 AM

Rob Roy was killed when an earth sheltered home collapsed on him.

Becareful, dirt is Material / Specific Gravity / lb. per cf-
Earth, loam, dry, excavated 1.25 78
Earth, moist, excavated 1.44 90
Earth, wet, excavated 1.60 100
Earth, dense 2.00 125
Earth, soft loose mud 1.73 108
Earth, packed 1.52 95
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM

News of his death seems to be exaggerated. I couldn't find mention of it on a web search.

But your point is well taken. A foot of earth piled on a roof has the same weight as 2 ft of water- pretty heavy. But reinforced concrete can bear loads of 3-8000 lb/sq in. A cu ft of earth would only weigh in the range of 100 lb.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Be cautious, there is a vast difference between compressive strength and flectural strength with concrete.

Gary
Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin View Post
Be cautious, there is a vast difference between compressive strength and flectural strength with concrete.

Gary
Agreed. That's why your 4 in thick concrete driveway will bear the weigh of your tractor, but lift a corner of it with your pick and one easy wack with a 10 lb sledge will break it up.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 PM

It appears that Rob Roy or Earthwood never had any accident...great guy though...I have met him and spent some time with him.

Type of earth...sand, loam, gravel, clay...wet or dry...all makes a difference.

Concrete...need the proper mix, proper placement, proper curing...steel reinforcement needs proper sizing and placement as well.

Anything can be designed and engineered and built appropriately....putting it all together correctly and maintaining it seems to be where people have problems.

....be safe out there.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Thought I would try to revive this.

I might be missing something on the site ( a different board perhaps ) anyone doing a thread on thier own build from ground up here?

Thanks folks.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM

It's easy to lose threads given this forum's format.

I had hoped to have already started building by now, but wifey dragged her feet about listing our house. She finally got it on the market last week. We have a showing today-- fingers crossed). Also still waiting on final plans from the draftsman.

I've been building the barn, driving the 220 miles north on weekends, since June. I hope to finally finish the siding this week.

The well was dug last spring, but nobody seems anxious for the job of putting in the pump. I want to go with a solar powered set-up to avoid grid dependency. The well is 220 ft deep, so man-power isn't an option and infrequently used generators are more trouble than they're worth.

How's your project coming along?
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 AM

I'm probably 2 years behind Doc, the way my homestead progression is going.

Between the new business, getting hitched, equipment challenges, it just seems like the amount of work being completed is sloooow.

We're still primarily clearing out ~7 year aspen for pole barn and shed site along with cutting up decades worth of deadfall around the future home site.

... guess with that said, my deer stands are looking real good.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
....it just seems like the amount of work being completed is sloooow.

We're still primarily clearing out ~7 year aspen for pole barn and shed site .....
That's a problem just working on the place part-time. You clear out trees and such one week and by the time you get back to work on it again, it's over-grown again. Wasn't it Sisyphus who was condemned to perpetually roll the rock up hill only to have it roll back down when he got to the top?

By coincidence, the pump/septic guy finally called me yesterday. He thinks he can get that stuff done now. Maybe we'll be able to get our travel trailer situated and hooked up so at least we'll have a roof and plumbing to use if the house does sell soon.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
That's a problem just working on the place part-time. You clear out trees and such one week and by the time you get back to work on it again, it's over-grown again. Wasn't it Sisyphus who was condemned to perpetually roll the rock up hill only to have it roll back down when he got to the top?

By coincidence, the pump/septic guy finally called me yesterday. He thinks he can get that stuff done now. Maybe we'll be able to get our travel trailer situated and hooked up so at least we'll have a roof and plumbing to use if the house does sell soon.
Yep, we're definitely facing the same challenges - our "commute" is even about the same length.

Good luck on getting the pump work done!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 PM

you're all ahead of me at least. I am going to look at 20 acres next weekend in the upper peninsula of michigan. Reading the posts remind me of how nothing ever goes nearly as quick as you expect. Im in a hurry to build a small off grid home. Been in a hurry to do itfor two years.. and am curious how much coin you guys had to shell out for permits?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrove View Post
you're all ahead of me at least. I am going to look at 20 acres next weekend in the upper peninsula of michigan. Reading the posts remind me of how nothing ever goes nearly as quick as you expect. Im in a hurry to build a small off grid home. Been in a hurry to do itfor two years.. and am curious how much coin you guys had to shell out for permits?
No permits yet, outside of the township ... but they will be coming soon, I'm sure.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrove View Post
.... curious how much coin you guys had to shell out for permits?
well & septic $575; land use permit for barn $100- needs to be repeated for house permit. Both went to the county; no fee to township (pop. 234).

When I asked the township building commissioner about code requirements for roof pitch and whether I needed to use piers for the poles, his reply was "What do we care? It's your barn." At least it's still a free country in some places, for some things.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Hi Doc,

...well & septic, $575...for permit right?...not the systems themselves...

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:39 PM

Wow. That's not bad at all doc. I figure I will pull permits and do it their way hopefully I end up in an area that doesn't have a dink of an inspector. I have rea some horror stories lately of people having issues due to home size, running water and such.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Shady, when you say home size, what do you mean? like too big or too small?..not sure about what the running water means either.

Sorry for being not to bright at times.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcedars View Post
Hi Doc,

...well & septic, $575...for permit right?...not the systems themselves...

Thanks.
Right-- just the permits--unfortunately.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcedars View Post
Shady, when you say home size, what do you mean? like too big or too small?..not sure about what the running water means either.

Jurisdictions surely vary, but our county, for instance, requires over 40 acres to build outside of town. You must have indoor plumbing (ie- well & septic) and I think there's a minimum house size requirement. Your county probably has a web site listing this stuff, or at least a phone number or e-mail address to ask questions.