BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Red face Hello from western WA

Greetings from west of Seattle! I am pleased to be joining the forums here after reading Annie Dodds book where she referenced and spoke very highly of the connections she made here.

I have toyed around with gardening, but never gotten near to anything sustaining. I recently read that those in our cool rainy climate should really choose gardening books written for Great Britain, as books written for that region more immediately match our regional climate. I took it a step further and bought a couple books by and for Western WA, including one from the author responsible for the above comment.

I have always found interest in increasing independence. Considering our current times I wish to bring more emphasis to my learning and doing. I only work 3 evenings/week, so I have set aside my "full time" schedule to learn and put into practice the things I want to do to unplug. My most immediate interests are learning to garden well, develop some water catchment strategies (we have plenty of that around here), learning canning (my husband bought one of those survival food packages, but most of that stuff is not what I would prefer to eat in a dire circumstance given a choice) and, perhaps, raising rabbits.

Thank you all in advance for the sharing of your knowledge and experiences!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Welcome, Don't forget your extension office for information http://ext100.wsu.edu/king/. They have master gardeners and often give classes, advice and have publications specific to your area. I know a couple people up in that area and they have healthy productive gardens.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome.
I lived South of Seattle for a lot of years.
We grew pumpkins one year and our water bill was almost $400 more than it had been.
Those were some expensive jack o lanterns.
We now have well water and irrigation water but we live in an area with plenty of produce growers so I just buy fresh fruit and vegetables.
I hate pulling weeds when it's close to 100 degrees.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Thank you for the resource! I will start looking there!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Straight west of Seattle would be Puget Sound. you must mean around the white center area. I was born and raised north of seattle around the lynwood area and north. I left for the east side after the freeway was finished. Didn't like all the slugs which you will encounter in the Garden, Welcome to BWH
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Default No really, west!

I'm even west of Puget Sound! And, yes, in my very novice gardening adventures, slugs are very prolific! ICK!!