BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Annual mower deck clean up

I've always had problems with this mower deck and grass sticking to the underside. Now with this RA I just can't scrape the deck during the mowing season anymore. Last year I tried a combination that worked well for me - stripped the deck down and painted it with EZ/Slide which I get a Tractor Supply and also started using Gator Blades. This was the first peek under the deck all season and was pleasantly surprised at how little accumlation was under there.

Did my last mowing on Monday and spent the last 2 days cleaning it up and preparing it for storage and to be ready for next year. Ugghh - what used to take me 2 hours now takes me 2 days.....

First look under the deck:

Untitled by sterling2424, on Flickr

And after scraping:

Then to the power washer:

Bentley says it's time for a break!

Continued next post - can only post 4 pics at a time.......
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM

After power washing:

Then yesterday brought it into the barn and used a composite type wire wheel on the drill to get any last gunk off and rough up the paint a little:

Then to add 3 coats of EZ-Slide and also my favorite thing in a spray can - Fluid Film:

Continued next post......
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

And the result after 3 coats:

Then a nice coating of Fluid Film on the top side and a few pumps of grease in all the fittings. Now it's at it's home for the winter and ready to go for next spring:

Time for a nap - again!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 AM

Nice write up on your process.....

I kinda/sorta do the same.... Remove deck, tip up and install home made storage wheels... So I can store it on edge... Scrape of clods of gunk from under the deck... Sharpen blades, grease all fittings and wheels.... Wheel to the back of the garage out of the way...

BE SURE.... To post how that coating works for you... I imagine at the end of next summer... I have read a number of things on the tractor forums about everything from motor oil, Fluid Film, to kitchen cooking spray to coat deck underside with....

My deck is quite a bit older than yours... So I'm not sure what will work the best, if at all on mine....

Good luck
Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
BE SURE.... To post how that coating works for you... I imagine at the end of next summer... I have read a number of things on the tractor forums about everything from motor oil, Fluid Film, to kitchen cooking spray to coat deck underside with....
The first pic is the result from doing the exact same thing to the deck last fall. I mowed with it all this year without touching it. So in my mind the process is somewhat successful.

My grass is always wet in some areas due to springs and/or being in constant shade. The years before I started this treatment I would have had extreme build up under there sometimes requiring a hammer/chisel to remove it.

I also believe that the Gator blades helped quite a bit. When I first tried this treatment I still had the standard lift factory blades and still had a lot of build up.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:00 PM

OK.... I get it now.... This is the year after results of this coating...
Seems to be quite successful....

I suspect my deck being much older, and more rust pitted etc... It would help, but not necessarily as well now as when it was in better shape...
But worth a try....
===
When I got my mower deck, it came with a new set of Gator style blades...
I thought that would be interesting.... At that time I was mowing a little less than about 5 acres... It was much better ground and grass than it is here on the rock pile... I used the Gator blades 2 summers there.... Seemed successful enough... Then trying use them the 3rd summer here on the rock pile, they didn't last more than about 5 minutes....

I decided not to spend the extra money for the Gators over standard high lift blades just to shave rocks with... I also get the aftermarket blades from ASC Agri Supply.... More than adequate....
===
I think we talked about vertical storage deck wheels once before.... Shoot a PM this way if you are interested and I will PM a picture of my homemade set... Should be very easy for you to make up a set as your deck is much newer...

Suggestion.... You might want to expend the effort to put your new tire chains on while you have a reasonably warm nice day to do it... Take them back off if you need the tractor again before you need it with the chains...
Like many things, the second time you put them on will be much easier as the first time is a learning curve....

It was brutal cold the day I put my new chains on for the first time... Dry, but not a good learning experience...
===
By the way.... Are you sure Bentley is tired, or just lazy.... I know I'm more and more lazy lately....
Good luck...

Last edited by Tim Horton; 10-17-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 PM

Will send you that PM. I've been storing the deck in the pavillion but would rather have it in the barn. I have room in the barn but hate to use of that much floor space if laying it flat.

Chains - funny you mention that. When I was an equipment operator instructor, one of my duties was to teach new temporary hires for winter the ins and outs of our plow trucks since that would be most what they would be doing. I would take a truck into the shop going over some fine details then also MADE them put on a set of chains and take them off. I got some attitude from some of them like "I don't need to do that now - I know how to do it" etc. Well there's nothing like being out in a storm, in the dark, holding a flashlight in your mouth, with the cold slime dripping off the truck bed down the back of your neck while you are fighting with the chains.

I was so excited when I first got the chains last month that I did lay them out and set them up on the tires. I'm glad I did as they were a tangled up mess from being in the bag. I now have them hung up nice and straight on the barn wall ready to go.