BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default A New Toy

Just brought it home last night, so haven't tried using it yet, but I got a Kenmore Model 90 sewing machine. It's solid metal, in the wooden cabinet, has all the parts and attachments and buttonhole kits and manuals and everything. It looks to be in fantastic shape. I also got a wooden fold-out sewing box full of buttons and bobbins and thread and rick-rack....I'm having fun going through it all. The manuals are in English, have pictures, and make sense!!!

My cousin's mother in law passed away, and no one wanted the machine. Not sure why she asked if I wanted it, but I'm happy she did! My Mom has a 1970-era Kenmore that has been a wonderful-good workhorse over the years and this machine is very similar; may be just a few years older. I think it's going to be a good replacement for the plastic machine I bought a few years ago. That thing has given me no end of trouble, and the manual for it appears to have been written by a Chinese politician using Sanskrit. Had to figure out how to thread it by trial and error because they didn't bother to illustrate that part. It makes such a racket when I use it I'm afraid the needle is going to break, and don't even get me started on the bobbin issues!

I'm so happy to have this old machine, and I'm really looking forward to some quiet winter days when I'll have time to really try it out.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Congrats on the acquisition!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Congrats.....
Believe it or not.... I have two sewing machines.... Like you said, an older Kenmore.... Must have been a high end machine at one time as it has about a dozen or so stitches it does, and they all work... The working area table comes off so you can do a shirt sleeve type project... It is a table top "in the box" model... I used it last winter for all my projects... None of which ever required a fancy stitch...

Yesterday I got an older table top model Singer set up the same as the Kenmore... All the things on it seem to work OK... Will spend some cold days cleaning and lubing it and whatever other TLC it may need...

Near as I can tell, most Kenmore models seem to be made by Singer...
I have $10 in the Kenmore, and $5 in the Singer....

Enjoy...
Old 10-26-2014, 01:44 PM

I've been to a lot of auctions and the older well made metal sewing machines that were hundreds of dollars new now go for $25. What a bargain people are missing by going and buying the plastic crap that's put out today.

Cat, it's my understanding you got it for free? Well done lady!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Yes, it was free! It had belonged to my cousin's husband's mother. I know he has a brother; I've never heard them mention a daughter so I guess there wasn't anyone else in the family that wanted it. My only cost was driving into the city to pick it up, and since my cousin fed me dinner that's not a bad bargain, eh?

Wyo, I wish I knew more about how to do the adjustments and such like you did. Hopefully this one won't need much. As I go through everything that came with it I'm finding receipts for tune-ups and a new belt. I'm thinking she took very good care of it.

I think my cousin must have called me because she knows I'm into 'old stuff'. You're right, Ozarks, folks sure miss a lot when they have to have 'new'.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 AM

Cat, is there an instruction book with it? If not you can get free ones online.

Google is your friend.
Also do a search on YouTube for your Kenmore Model 90. I saw at least two videos on it.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Let me qualify a perception here....
I have done cleaning and lube on these machines.... Replacing a belt, bobbin winding tire, straitening a small part so the needle slips in and out easily, cleaning burrs off a part where a bent needle created snags.... But no real "adjustment", as in when this does this, how soon does that do that.... You can create some real major crashes doing that if you don't get it right the first time.... Compared to a lot of things, sewing machine repairs can still be a bargain for the use you get from the machine....

Unless the machine comes to you with major issues to begin with, it is easy enough to do TLC maintenance.... Like changing the oil, lubing the door, hood, trunk hinges on an old car... SeewhatImean...

Kind of like the saying goes.... If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape... It it doesn't move and should, use WD40.....
Good luck....
Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM

Well Cat if you need a little practice on your new to you machine. I have a box of jeans I've been meaning to take to my sisters. But she's a bit miffed at me right now cause I haven't made the time to come look at her machine. And I'm not to sure that showing up with sewing repairs would be such a good idea right now. SO hint hint wink wink

QGM
Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Well, c'mon over, Gent. You can adjust the machine for me and I'll adjust your jeans.

Um, wait, that didn't come out right....
Old 10-29-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
Well, c'mon over, Gent. You can adjust the machine for me and I'll adjust your jeans.

Um, wait, that didn't come out right....
You do realize he's packed and ready to rumble, don't you? LOL
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM

"Packed and ready to rumble".....that could be interpreted so many ways......
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
"Packed and ready to rumble".....that could be interpreted so many ways......

Take it however is the most fun for you.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Master Pontificator

Chuckling as I'm reading through this thread (pardon the pun).....

Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM

Hey no laughing at my package I mean packed box. I'm just trying to get my Sunday go to meeting jeans fix you know the holey ones.

QGM
Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 PM

So now I'm wondering about the jeans with the package and where the holes are....just for the shipping and fixing, you understand.....