BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Hello from Virginia ...

I'm looking forward to learning from all here and, from what I've read of some of the threads/posts, that will be much.

I live on a small homestead in the southern part of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I've been here since 1995 and I raise large Nubian dairy goats and an assortment of fowl (Brown Chinese Geese, Orpington and Wyandotte chickens and colorful guineas). I also have 2 large dogs that guard the place. One is a Chocolate Labradore and the other is an LGD (a Bulgarian Karakachan).

My place has been set up to be pretty self-supporting in that I have a large garden and a rather large orchard. In my garden I'm setting up raised beds as fast as I can as I'm up in years and do not need to be bending over a lot. My orchard/vineyard consists of semi-dwarf trees & thornless vines (sweet cherry, methley plum, Japanese persimmons, black currant and Asian pears; also seedless grapes and muscadines). I just put out a few apple trees this year to turn into a living fence; so am axious to play with these! I also have some elderberry bushes, Goji bushes, Fig trees, some thornless blackberry and thornless boisenberry bushes as well and some strawberry plants as well.

I focus mostly on healthy living and have some Rugosa Rose bushes growing for the vitamin C in those rose hips; some Washington Giant Nettle I "struggling" to get to grow in this area; some sugar maple trees too.

Being a city gal, all this has been an education I never had considered heretofore. However, with my mother having come down with a progressive disease called parkinsons and asking me to keep her out of a nursing home, the need to grow our own food arose...thus the learning! Mother passed away at home in her sleep in 2008; however, I learned to love it out in the country like this.

I have not had a chance to read all the rules as yet; however, should I step on a few, it will not disturbe me to be corrected.

Thanks for letting me join your group.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome! I think I've seen a few of your posts. I think you'll enjoy the Forum
Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome! It sounds like your experience has already taught you a lot. I look forward to reading your posts.