BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Would you open carry?

Here in Texas, our new guv has stated that he would sign a bill authorizing "open carry" of side arms.

Without debating the necessity of a law which "grants" a constitutional right I have this question:

If it is legal, would you strap on a side arm while doing your normal business around town? Why or why not?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Open carry is legal in Washington state.
However if you do open carry you can count on someone calling 911 to report it.
Then the police will show up, usually in force and your hassle will begin.
Especially in the big cities but it also happens in the small towns even on the east side of the state
I carry concealed only.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:52 PM

It's legal here, but I only do it if hunting or riding ATV's

Most people don't like to see others carrying guns, and those people outnumber gun owners

I prefer the element of surprise, and not attracting any attention
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Legal here also. I don't myself unless I'm on my way into the woods.

Not uncommon to see open carry in a local mini-mart out here in the boonies - nobody looks twice.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Carry open while on my property--would probably continue to carry concealed in public--as stated above, no sense drawing attention to ones self. However, the option would be nice for those quick trips into town --not having to re-arrange everything.

JVC
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM

On the hill here yes...in town no.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35 PM

No. I think open carry, in some/most cases, is someone trying to show off. All it takes is a few guys surrounding you and your gun is gone. Go in a 7-11 to buy a cup of coffee and stand in line. You can't keep an eye on everyone. It wouldn't take many to rush you without you knowing what was going on.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppajoe View Post
On the hill here yes...in town no.
Likewise. I always open carry on my homestead and ! Have one in the car/ truck next to me when on the road .
In missouri of OC is legal but can be over ridden by local law if you don't have ccw.
If you have ccw it is legal period .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 11-08-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't, I'm old and slow, a six year old could take a side arm from me and now I have provided someone a weapon. So kidding on the six year old but possibly giving a person a weapon that didn't have one.
When we lived out in the woods we had a gun by both doors over the 40+ years the only threat was mushroom pickers and bears. I did feel safer with the guns. With the price of mushrooms around here mushroom pickers who wonder on to private property can be a threat.
I also agree carrying only makes one suspect, not that I see danger everywhere but more aware there are crazy people out there. I also think it's at times for attention.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Open and concealed carry are legal here for Alaska residents. CCPs are available here but not necessary. I occasionally see open carry, but unless they are on their way to the bush or on the way back, they are just showing off. It calls attention to you, so is not much of a defensive weapon--you are the first target if you open carry.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Open carry is legal here in Pa. I personally don't believe in the practice, as A. I would prefer the element of surprise, and B. I too think people who do it are simply showing off and are just inviting trouble if somebody gets "scared" and calls the cops. Legal or not you WILL get hassled when the police show up. No sense pushing that envelope.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 PM

While i respect everyone's right to OC I think what's the point other than to show off. .
Old 11-09-2014, 12:12 AM

There are times to OC. One is when it's 100 degrees out. OC around here is a fact of life and a lot of people do OC. I usually do it concealed but just because people do OC does not mean they are showing off. It might be that they just like it better and in Wash, it is their right.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Master Pontificator

My wife has a cousin who use to shoot professionally. He would carry a concealed gun on him. After several friends of his were sued for shooting a person who robbed them he decided it was not worth the risks. He says give them what they want unless you are for sure you have proof they are robbing you. Then only use 14 well placed shot and bring them down. If you can't do any of these things give in to them and save the millions someone will sue you for. He said it was not worth the hassle.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:36 PM

So far, it seems that the consensus of contributors is to carry concealed when in public. For the same reasons, I'm mostly with the group.

It seems to me that the vocal minority of "open carry" advocates are making some headway here in Texas but I think they're making a big noise about a fairly moot point.

This is where the discussion veers into the rights of the individual. The state has a say in who loses a right - a felon shouldn't have the right to pack a weapon whether it is a gun, knife or baseball bat. The state should NOT have a say in whether a law abiding citizen has a right to carry a weapon.

Isn't it interesting how we allow the state to creep into our business? It all starts when someone says "there ought to be a law. . . "

Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
So far, it seems that the consensus of contributors is to carry concealed when in public. For the same reasons, I'm mostly with the group.

It seems to me that the vocal minority of "open carry" advocates are making some headway here in Texas but I think they're making a big noise about a fairly moot point.

This is where the discussion veers into the rights of the individual. The state has a say in who loses a right - a felon shouldn't have the right to pack a weapon whether it is a gun, knife or baseball bat. The state should NOT have a say in whether a law abiding citizen has a right to carry a weapon.

Isn't it interesting how we allow the state to creep into our business? It all starts when someone says "there ought to be a law. . . "
I disagree on the felon issue. Once a person has paid their debt to society they should have same rights as anyone else Carry a gun or vote ( taxation without representation ring a bell)
If never ever own a gun or voting is to be part of the sentence then the judge has to do it not some politician passed law.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
My wife has a cousin who use to shoot professionally. He would carry a concealed gun on him. After several friends of his were sued for shooting a person who robbed them he decided it was not worth the risks. He says give them what they want unless you are for sure you have proof they are robbing you. Then only use 14 well placed shot and bring them down. If you can't do any of these things give in to them and save the millions someone will sue you for. He said it was not worth the hassle.

We don't have that problem here in Texas.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I disagree on the felon issue. Once a person has paid their debt to society they should have same rights as anyone else Carry a gun or vote ( taxation without representation ring a bell)
If never ever own a gun or voting is to be part of the sentence then the judge has to do it not some politician passed law.
I think we're on the same page as long as we agree that the larger point is that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural (God given) right which is merely enumerated in the constitution rather than granted by the constitution (or law).

I can see the law giving a person a route back to gun ownership just as s/he has a route back to the free world. I think I would temper the "debt to society" concept a bit though. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, over 80% of felons end up getting arrested again within 5 years. The word on the street is that when a criminal goes to jail s/he is in training for becoming a better criminal.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 AM

I only open carry when I'm in the field or on my property. Concealed the rest of the time.

I really see absolutely no reason to open carry in general public areas. Far more trouble than it's worth.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I think we're on the same page as long as we agree that the larger point is that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural (God given) right which is merely enumerated in the constitution rather than granted by the constitution (or law).

I can see the law giving a person a route back to gun ownership just as s/he has a route back to the free world. I think I would temper the "debt to society" concept a bit though. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, over 80% of felons end up getting arrested again within 5 years. The word on the street is that when a criminal goes to jail s/he is in training for becoming a better criminal.
You don't punish people for what they might do in the future.