BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Around the farm? No problem! In town, however, I don't like to alarm either the neighbors, or the sheeple. I, also, prefer the element of surprise. I'm an easygoing sort of guy; and to look at, or observe, me most people would never guess that I'm carrying a, 'belt load' a Navy SEAL would envy!
Old 12-04-2014, 04:43 PM

I open carry when traveling in Grizzly bear country, which is surrounding my place. A person can draw their weapon faster from an open carry holster. All other times I conceal carry. It gives one a tactical advantage to do so. All hard facts aside, my gut feeling is that open carrying in public may push those that are "on the fence" over to the gun control crowd. However, it is possible that if more people open carried, there would be less certain types of crime such as robbery, etc.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I haven't been following this thread, so maybe some of this has been mentioned before:

= the real reason to demonstrate openly that extreme force can be used is to deter others from making you prove that you can use it. Note that the only time nuclear weapons were actually used in warfare was when there was no chance of retaliation with a similar weapon. Once multiple parties had the weapons, they haven't been used again.

= IL was the last state to OK concealed carry. As in all other cases where freedom was returned to the citizenry, violent crime rates have fallen drastically here. The murder rate in Chicago, embarrassingly high in recent years, fell last year, the first of legal concealed carry, to its lowest level in 40 years.

=While open carry may have few drawbacks in more rural settings, I have to wonder if such a demonstration in a location such as Chicago may actually invite sniper activity. ?? It certainly would attract unnecessary police attention. It's a jungle out there.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
You don't punish people for what they might do in the future.

Should we allow sex offenders to freely live near schools without their names being plastered on websites showing their past activities, simply because they've paid their debt to society? Chances are great they WILL offend again.....
Old 12-05-2014, 01:08 AM

Well, never carried a gun...

I did carry mace and not in my purse/pocket.

I would let it hang over my purse on a thin chain so can pull it off quickly.

People would stare at it.

Used to loosely tape a very long ice pick on the handles of my bicycle after I got jumped one time.

People used to ask if I'd "use it".
Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Should we allow sex offenders to freely live near schools without their names being plastered on websites showing their past activities, simply because they've paid their debt to society?
If they are "not safe" they shouldn't be on the streets

If they aren't locked up, they shouldn't have to be listed anywhere publically.

Many get LABELED as a "sex offender" when they did nothing more than irritate some teeange girls parents.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Should we allow sex offenders to freely live near schools without their names being plastered on websites showing their past activities, simply because they've paid their debt to society? Chances are great they WILL offend again.....
I have no trouble with keeping them from school or publishing thier names but it has to be part of the sentence given by the judge not part if some law written by politicians to get votes.

Yes if an offender has fulfilled all the punishments issue by the judge they get all rights and freedoms ( to include their privacy just line you and I expect)anyone gets.

People are not punished for what they " might do" or at least should not be.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM

I would not open carry.
And that option is being looked at in Texas.
We have concealed carry now.

I think IMO that an open carry may be ((as Doc Suggest)an invitation to TRY me.
You never count your money while sitting at the table.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM

I have been following the TX denials of rights for a good while. even since when you couldn't carry at all till the Lubby's incident ( look up Lubby's or Susan Hupp). i have several contacts with the movment. they just want their rights restored. BTW their rights were taken as punishment for the war between the states.

I carry 24/7/365. it is my contention that you should carry every where you might need it. i have several reasons to OC. One is that it is the way an honest person carries. like the Willy Nelson song says, " for all the honest world to see". I am not saying that you should not CC, but remember that is the way all Bad Guys carry. if you are worried about what people, that don't care whether you live or die, might have a panic attack about you, then yeah, hide your firearm
I like the tactical and comfort of OC. As far as wanting to "surprise" someone, is saying that you want to shoot someone. i have numerous times that by me have a gun in the open has stopped a lot of BGs, that meant me harm. When people see and get used to OC. they don't even pay attention to it. like here in NC
As far as someone taking it from you you must have a retintion holster. that makes it next to in impossible to take it from you. also there is lots of training and techniques you can use.

If you still are against OC (which is your choice), ask your self, why do the police and LE still carry in the open?

Oh and BTW, check out the web site opencarry.org. I think you will see a lot of like minded people
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
I have been following the TX denials of rights for a good while. even since when you couldn't carry at all till the Lubby's incident ( look up Lubby's or Susan Hupp). i have several contacts with the movment. they just want their rights restored. BTW their rights were taken as punishment for the war between the states.

I carry 24/7/365. it is my contention that you should carry every where you might need it. i have several reasons to OC. One is that it is the way an honest person carries. like the Willy Nelson song says, " for all the honest world to see". I am not saying that you should not CC, but remember that is the way all Bad Guys carry. if you are worried about what people, that don't care whether you live or die, might have a panic attack about you, then yeah, hide your firearm
I like the tactical and comfort of OC. As far as wanting to "surprise" someone, is saying that you want to shoot someone. i have numerous times that by me have a gun in the open has stopped a lot of BGs, that meant me harm. When people see and get used to OC. they don't even pay attention to it. like here in NC
As far as someone taking it from you you must have a retintion holster. that makes it next to in impossible to take it from you. also there is lots of training and techniques you can use.

If you still are against OC (which is your choice), ask your self, why do the police and LE still carry in the open?

Oh and BTW, check out the web site opencarry.org. I think you will see a lot of like minded people
PB--Please dont mis- understand me---I am NOT against Open Carry--not at all.
I just at the moment dont think its for me----I kind of like the element of surprise.

I am for what ever it takes to Remain free.
Thank you
Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Why should it take law to " allow " open Carry ? You have a right to have gun . How you have it or carry it is immaterial .
Old 12-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Master Pontificator

It's good to have the freedom and option to CC or even open carry.....as Your Right...If you want to.

I find carrying is kinda of a PITA, sometimes.........but will continue as my Right.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Why should it take law to " allow " open Carry ? You have a right to have gun . How you have it or carry it is immaterial .
MoF You and I understand what your saying but under Texas law at the moment Concealed Carry is our law,although some do carry in plain sight.
James White our Representive has a bill before our Texas house---that is looking really good,for the Open Carry Law.

Long guns hang in trucks BUT at the risk of having them stolen.

I obey the Law---regardless of how I think or feel about the Laws,Although I believe by Constitution I have the right to carry a weapon.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Exactly right!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Not to side step the original subject.... But some info that may add a bit of back ground to the mind set on open/concealed carry...

A number of years ago I read several articles of interviews with people along this line... At that time assaults and robberies of older people in some high retirement population states... Before concealed carry was available to people, many seniors said they chose to concealed carry, and keep loaded firearms in vehicles, illegal to do at the time and place, rather than be a victim of injury or death...

The consequences were much less severe for a firearm infraction than injury or death... After all, they figured they were old and retired already...

I don't have a concealed carry license... And I don't think the attention open carry would create is worth the trouble for me, here.... Better to be "invisible in plain site" kind of thinking, I guess....

Closest I have come to open carry is to patrol corn fields with the tractor or atv and a 12ga. to discourage bears from doing crop damage... As they will eat there fill of corn, and wallow down stalks relaxing afterwards.. They can flatten a spot as big as a basket ball court in no time at all...

Keep safe...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post

The consequences were much less severe for a firearm infraction than injury or death... After all, they figured they were old and retired already...

.. Better to be "invisible in plain site" kind of thinking, I guess....
a) "Better to be tried by 12 men than carried by six."

b) With IL's new CC law, some bars & restaurants in liberal Chicago are claiming a right to not allow CC in their places of business. Doesn't that beg the question of "how they gunna know if you're carrying without violating your right to be free of illegal search?"
Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 PM

I think I would enjoy open carrying sometimes just to make others consider the issue. I'm considering it myself now. Interesting thread, thanks for all the opinions!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 PM

open carry ,no, concealed yes,iam courious would you use it if you needed to, most people claim they would but i wonder
Old 01-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37 View Post
open carry ,no, concealed yes,iam courious would you use it if you needed to, most people claim they would but i wonder
It is a mindset and matter of training. The mindset is "him or me?" The training is to make the drawing motion/aiming into a reflex action. Also, the capability to make the split second decision that warrants the use of deadly force. This is a training issue also.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:28 PM

agreed to it being a mind set,i remember about 10 years ago my wife and i were in the city for some reson, when i heard lots of screaming ,hollering, i ran over to find an older man getting robbed and beaten, by this time a large crowd had gathered and just stood watching,i jumped in to his rescued, every one froze,later i talked to one of the watchers and we talked about what happened, he said that he froze, maybe lack of training , not sure