BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-11-2015, 11:41 PM

I don't open carry, I do conceal carry. I don't like to bring attention to myself. I still do contract law-enforcement (I'm retired LE) and wear casual clothing, jeans and kaki shirts with department logo etc., but I do wear a light casual vest to conceal, when in stores or around groups of people. Retired LE and conceal carry people also need to remember the liabilities if and when they pull their handgun and the shooting starts . Most retired LE are not covered under their former agency when everything goes south. 99% of the time when the shooting starts someone is going to be sued and anyone can sue. If a bystander is hit, attorney fees will get crazy and your assets could go down the drain !!!

Just my $.02
Old 01-18-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37 View Post
agreed to it being a mind set,i remember about 10 years ago my wife and i were in the city for some reson, when i heard lots of screaming ,hollering, i ran over to find an older man getting robbed and beaten, by this time a large crowd had gathered and just stood watching,i jumped in to his rescued, every one froze,later i talked to one of the watchers and we talked about what happened, he said that he froze, maybe lack of training , not sure
This reminds me of a time when I was the witness to a one car accident on a remote stretch of road. It was a roll over into a swamp. I stopped and helped the guy, but then realized that he was drunk and I called the police. I was subpoenaed seven times to be a witness for the prosecution against him. It was a huge hassle for me. I think twice about helping folks now, I'm sorry to admit it, but true.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:04 PM

sorry to hear that ,i know people thats been thru that
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj5156 View Post
I think I would enjoy open carrying sometimes just to make others consider the issue. I'm considering it myself now. Interesting thread, thanks for all the opinions!
When doing that, keep in mind those that "consider" it may very well come out against it, whereas before they hadn't thought about it

Think about how so many complain about gays "flaunting" themselves in public, because it's really not much different
Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM

IMHO open carry should be used only to accomplish a fast draw. There are reasons to do this sometimes. Open carry should not be used to make a public statement. Public statements are for those that want to draw attention to themselves. People that are in the business of self protection do not want to bring attention to themselves. On the contrary, they try to blend in with the general populace.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 PM

Tennessee simple has a carry license you can carry it however you like. It does not bother me at all to see it carried and really don't even really see it unless I am looking for it.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 PM

Whether " you" OC or not has nothing to do with me or my or any other persons opinion. It should be the right of any american ,
Old 01-19-2015, 11:10 PM

In general, I prefer to carry concealed, but there have been a handful of times when I've carried openly, for convenience sake, when it was either that or not carry at all. If you don't act like its a issue, neither do other people, nor do most of them even notice if you don't draw attention to it. Most notice I ever got was at a Subway when a little kid asked if I was a cop..I just winked and said "maybe."
Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM

OC is legal in Pa, and although I don't often partake in it I support it 100%.
It has become more common in Pa and it has gotten to a point where harassment is down greatly from about 10 years ago due to active participation and leo training has improved.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 AM

If OC passes I will do so a lot. It is more comfortable, and the Bed wetters detest it. The main reason though is to get people used to seeing OC. I've OC'd for years while in uniform, and am not worried about some fool trying to disarm me. Right now, I CC two pistols and several knives, one of which is a 5" blade. I would only allow a LEO disarm me. Anyone else get shot or opened up, my choice.

Jim
Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 PM

I grew up in an OC environment, rural and urban. I don't assume those who do are "showing off," nor is there any statistical evidence to support that open carry invites crime. Were I back in a state that did not restrict carry (note I did not say allow) then I would open carry, next to my phone, my pocket knife, etc.

I do think its sad that we have bought the lie that put our firearms in the closet in the first place. Open Carry was the only carry for several hundred years on this continent, and gunfights occurred far far less frequently than the movies would have folks believe. What is kept in the closet remains taboo, mythical, and I think in the case of firearms, it only enhances the anti-gun narrative, as if the mere presence of a tool somehow invites violence. I for one want no part in perpetuating lies, and would rather see us all get over ourselves on the matter. Liberty is a risk worth taking, IMHO.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Master Pontificator

I have read most of the posts at least once previously, but just re-read them tonight. I have no issues either way and agree with those who said it is a shame we have allowed a right to be given up so the state can restore that right by law.

I have hear it said, "A drivers licenses is not a right. It is not spelled out in the constitution, and only those things listed in the constitution are a right. Everything else is a privilege," so many times I am sick of those and similar statements. I have never had a problem with my drivers licenses, and in all reality drivers licenses, auto licenses and virtually every other kind of licenses one has or possesses are more about revenues than control, with the one exception, weapons licenses, which are strictly about controlling the populace. I know I digress from the subject. But gun ownership is a right by the constitution, so why then do we need the Federal or State, much less some county, governments blessing to exercise that right?

Now back to the original question. I considered obtaining a CCWP but then decided I did not want to go through the hassle. Some good friends have, and I have re-considered, but thus far resisted taking the plunge. Therefore I am not legally entitled to carry concealed, but on my own homestead property, I am virtually always armed when not in the house. It depends on what I am doing, whether it is concealed or open, but normally concealed around the place has more to do with keeping the weapon from, or eliminating as much exposure to dust, grime & dirt as possible, more than anything else.

If not for the two legged kind, we have plenty of slippery cold blooded evil doers around our place. The non-venomous ones I leave alone, unless they are just deliberately making a nuisance out of themselves. The venomous one are summarily eliminated on sight, no exemptions.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 PM

1. If you open carry, you are broadcasting to the world that you are indeed carrying, and thus have lost a tactical advantage.
2. If you open carry, the world knows if you are left handed or right handed and also, the method that you will use to draw your weapon.
3. If you open carry, the world knows what weapon you have and your magazine capacity, and possibly which caliber you are using.
4. If you open carry, and get into a gunfight, the prosecuting attorney will use the fact that you open carried against you, making you out to be the aggressor.

Is there a time and place for open carry? Absolutely. But, doing so to make a political statement is wrong headed.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
1. If you open carry, you are broadcasting to the world that you are indeed carrying, and thus have lost a tactical advantage.
2. If you open carry, the world knows if you are left handed or right handed and also, the method that you will use to draw your weapon.
3. If you open carry, the world knows what weapon you have and your magazine capacity, and possibly which caliber you are using.
4. If you open carry, and get into a gunfight, the prosecuting attorney will use the fact that you open carried against you, making you out to be the aggressor.

Is there a time and place for open carry? Absolutely. But, doing so to make a political statement is wrong headed.
Good! (Att 'a boy!)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Sorry LURCH , but your post doesn't hold water
1. I am an honest person so I want the world to see. crooks hide their gun and some people do with their governments permission. since people will see I am armed, they will avoid me. since I won't be in a shoot out there is no need for a tactical response
2. there are a lot of indicates of what a persons strong side is. since i will not be in a shoot out, it is a moot point.
3. people see a fire arm and they will not do anything to invoke it. they really don't care what it is. A crook is a lazy coward, and will not attack a person they see is armed. Again there will be no shoot out.
4. if you are legally carrying, what would be the difference in weather you are open carrying or hiding the firearm. the intent is still the same. same as if you have an extinguisher, you are just prepared. Do you have a case where the method of carry was used for a trial? I think if you hid it would mean you wanted to shoot someone

5. I will give you the 5, I have lots more. I have found this reason of " wanting a tactical advantage", is just saying you want to shoot someone. you are baiting them to think you are unarmed, so they will attack you. I would rather avoid a shooting.

I am not going to number this one. Just think about it. If you hide your fire arm you are also falling into the prohibitionist camp. You are going along with their hopolophobe that they don't want to see a gun. that is what the prohibitionist propose, is the nonsense that no one has a firearm.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I agree it causes more harm than good
Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
Sorry LURCH , but your post doesn't hold water
1. I am an honest person so I want the world to see. crooks hide their gun and some people do with their governments permission. since people will see I am armed, they will avoid me. since I won't be in a shoot out there is no need for a tactical response
2. there are a lot of indicates of what a persons strong side is. since i will not be in a shoot out, it is a moot point.
3. people see a fire arm and they will not do anything to invoke it. they really don't care what it is. A crook is a lazy coward, and will not attack a person they see is armed. Again there will be no shoot out.
4. if you are legally carrying, what would be the difference in weather you are open carrying or hiding the firearm. the intent is still the same. same as if you have an extinguisher, you are just prepared. Do you have a case where the method of carry was used for a trial? I think if you hid it would mean you wanted to shoot someone

5. I will give you the 5, I have lots more. I have found this reason of " wanting a tactical advantage", is just saying you want to shoot someone. you are baiting them to think you are unarmed, so they will attack you. I would rather avoid a shooting.

I am not going to number this one. Just think about it. If you hide your fire arm you are also falling into the prohibitionist camp. You are going along with their hopolophobe that they don't want to see a gun. that is what the prohibitionist propose, is the nonsense that no one has a firearm.
We can discuss this until the cows come home. However, I stated facts. You stated opinions- your opinions. Just sayin'.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
We can discuss this until the cows come home. However, I stated facts. You stated opinions- your opinions. Just sayin'.
No, everything you posted was opinion. If it was fact you could back it up with cites. Can you cite a case where's th prosecutor used the method of carry, as a determining fact of premeditation in a defense trail? Or of a BG robbing someone they knew was armed? Can you tell of a CC, that was.robbed?

If you are scared to.show you are armed, go ahead and hide it. But you need to know.your reasons. Are you hopolophobe, or even a Fudd,or not?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
No, everything you posted was opinion. If it was fact you could back it up with cites. Can you cite a case where's th prosecutor used the method of carry, as a determining fact of premeditation in a defense trail? Or of a BG robbing someone they knew was armed? Can you tell of a CC, that was.robbed?

If you are scared to.show you are armed, go ahead and hide it. But you need to know.your reasons. Are you hopolophobe, or even a Fudd,or not?
Opinions are like armpits-everyone has a couple, and most stink. If you're trying to troll me, don't bother. I will say this- I am a proud member of the USCCA and there are alot of folks out there that think just like I do. When you open carry just to prove your point, you are actually hurting yourself politically.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Are you ever going to mature enough to stop the juvenile name calling?

And don't bother to answer, because I won't see it unless someone else happens to quote you