BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
It's not about the "object"

It's about the attitudes of those doing it to "poke a finger".

Most folks don't want to see the guns, and if you push the issue, they will vote against it.

I suspect they are people that have already voted against guns - provably ever change they get.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I suspect they are people that have already voted against guns - provably ever change they get.
I suspect you don't read what I post since I was talking about the "indifferent"

Quote:
That's the kind of attitude that turns people from indifferent to anti-gun, and they VOTE.
They make up the majority, and it's silly to irritate them for no good reason.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I suspect you don't read what I post since I was talking about the "indifferent"

They make up the majority, and it's silly to irritate them for no good reason.
I quoted your exact words. In realty there are very few " indifferent " people when it comes to the gun debate .

In any case --- no matter ---- what the reason
A person chooses to OCC it is thier right and no one else's to question .

And calling the names when they are just exercising thier rights is childish.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I quoted your exact words. In realty there are very few " indifferent " people when it comes to the gun debate .

In any case --- no matter ---- what there's go
A person chooses to OCC it is thier right and no one else's to question .

You quoted one post while NOT following the conversation and keeping it in context.

Most people are indifferent until you irritate them to the point they choose a side

Just because it's a "right" doesn't mean doing it is right

Quote:
Says the one who most often resorts to name-calling
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 PM

Would someone clarify for me, what's the advantage to open carry vs concealed carry? It would seem to me that the former is done only for purposes of ostentation. Brightly colored animals are often the poisonous ones and the display discourages predators, but it also makes for an easily spotted target.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 PM

Absolutely! I'd open carry anytime. Fortunately, here in MS we can carry concealed in a purse or a pack without a permit.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

The other favorite haunt of these incredibly introverted, socially maladjusted OC' ers is on internet gun forums. (Who'd have thought!) In fact the more, 'gung-ho' the forum, the more socially maladjusted rednecks you're going to encounter. Look at it this way: If people were, for the most part, well adjusted then there wouldn't be so strong a desire to live, 'off-grid'; and, let's face it, the world would simply be a better place .......

BUT IT'S NOT!

Worse, most people simply refuse to learn from either the existing foibles of their own personal behavior, and the very real problems they create for themselves, or from even the most obvious (and painful) of their past mistakes.

THAT'S LIFE IN A, MUCH TOO OFTEN, EVIL WORLD - AN INCREASINGLY EVIL WORLD!

With today's college classrooms, malls, and movie theaters being, almost constantly, shot-up by gun-toting lunatics, equally idiotic OC' ers flatly refuse to get the obvious social lesson - The (underlying) moral reality that their political opponents are able to gleefully use against them, over and over again, every time some nutcase misuses a firearm:

PEOPLE DON'T LEARN; AND THEY, ESPECIALLY, DON'T LEARN THE VITAL MORAL LESSONS THAT ARE SO NECESSARY IN ORDER FOR ALL OF US TO BE ABLE TO HARMONIOUSLY LIVE TOGETHER ON AN, OTHERWISE, GROSSLY OVERCROWDED PLANET - THE ONLY HOME WE'VE GOT!

I don't know, 'Why'? (Well, actually I do; but it's an, 'inconvenient truth' that, given the present audience, is, perhaps, best left unstated!)
That is one of the most stupid posts I have ever read
Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Would someone clarify for me, what's the advantage to open carry vs concealed carry? It would seem to me that the former is done only for purposes of ostentation. Brightly colored animals are often the poisonous ones and the display discourages predators, but it also makes for an easily spotted target.
DOC, please let me say I hope people carry and carry often, no matter which method
I have several reasons for OC. first I don't want to shoot anyone. If they see I am armed they will go to someone else. I have occasions where this has happened. But for the most part , I am an honest person,and I feel this is the honest way to carry. Remember all bad guys hide their guns

But to answer other posts. The more people see OC, the more they get used to it, and they see there is no harm and nothing to fear
Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
The only real advantage is it allows slightly quicker access to the firearm.

That fraction of a second isn't worth making yourself a target, and taking the risk of someone attacking you simply to take your gun.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

The other favorite haunt of these incredibly introverted, socially maladjusted OC' ers is on internet gun forums. (Who'd have thought!) In fact the more, 'gung-ho' the forum, the more socially maladjusted rednecks you're going to encounter. Look at it this way: If people were, for the most part, well adjusted then there wouldn't be so strong a desire to live, 'off-grid'; and, let's face it, the world would simply be a better place .......

BUT IT'S NOT!

Worse, most people simply refuse to learn from either the existing foibles of their own personal behavior, and the very real problems they create for themselves, or from even the most obvious (and painful) of their past mistakes.

THAT'S LIFE IN A, MUCH TOO OFTEN, EVIL WORLD - AN INCREASINGLY EVIL WORLD!

With today's college classrooms, malls, and movie theaters being, almost constantly, shot-up by gun-toting lunatics, equally idiotic OC' ers flatly refuse to get the obvious social lesson - The (underlying) moral reality that their political opponents are able to gleefully use against them, over and over again, every time some nutcase misuses a firearm:

PEOPLE DON'T LEARN; AND THEY, ESPECIALLY, DON'T LEARN THE VITAL MORAL LESSONS THAT ARE SO NECESSARY IN ORDER FOR ALL OF US TO BE ABLE TO HARMONIOUSLY LIVE TOGETHER ON AN, OTHERWISE, GROSSLY OVERCROWDED PLANET - THE ONLY HOME WE'VE GOT!

I don't know, 'Why'? (Well, actually I do; but it's an, 'inconvenient truth' that, given the present audience, is, perhaps, best left unstated!)
Uhhh...what??
Old 06-27-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Uhhh...what??
I think there may be some ETOH involved
Old 06-27-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The only real advantage is it allows slightly quicker access to the firearm.

That fraction of a second isn't worth making yourself a target, and taking the risk of someone attacking you simply to take your gun.
BFF, don't forget about the detergent factor. BG's only go after people that are weaker then they are. Also don't forget the honesty factor. BG's hide their guns, for reason, they are afraid of what others will think.

Don't run out the old " you make a target of yourself", it just does not happen. I have several personal accounts , where when they seen I was armed..They left me alone
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Master Pontificator

I too prefer to keep the element of surprise when I am armed. Open carry is like wearing a sign that says "Shoot me first".

On my property though I open carry a wheel gun with snake shot in the first cylinder during the day and a HP at night.

Open carriers don't make me nervous though.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I too prefer to keep the element of surprise when I am armed. Open carry is like wearing a sign that says "Shoot me first".

On my property though I open carry a wheel gun with snake shot in the first cylinder during the day and a HP at night.

Open carriers don't make me nervous though.
RICK, thank you for not being nervous around people like me. You and I both know that people that wear their firearm were all the honest world to see, are not law breakers. If they were they would have to hide their guns

But know that the sign would really say, " Don't pick me as a victim, I am armed"
No one is targeted when they are armed, I have cases that verify that

Be aware that guys that want to "surprise" the bad guys, want to shoot people.
One reason I want people to see I am armed, I don't want to shoot any body

But I will always say carry and carry all the time
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 AM

Smile

Papa Bear

Thanks for carrying the water on this one. My apologies for not being here. You did very well dealing with the illogical rants of the left leaners.

OC is and should be a right. Exercising a right by the very definition cannot be wrong. How can anyone come up with that sort of thinking. Must have a very tangled mind.

Guess what! It's one's individual right to OC, CC, or not carry at all. Get over the control freak trips, and be a nicer person. To argue against anothers choice is foolish and wrong headed. No one is trying to force anyone else to OC. However, I do see the voluntary slaves trying to pull down anyone else that is attempting to live as free as they can. The shame is on them for attempting to bully others.

I think I'll go stick my finger in some leftist eyes.

jim
Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
To argue against anothers choice is foolish and wrong headed.
Isn't that exactly what you're doing?
(Along with the silly, childish name calling?)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Papa Bear

Thanks for carrying the water on this one. My apologies for not being here. You did very well dealing with the illogical rants of the left leaners.

OC is and should be a right. Exercising a right by the very definition cannot be wrong. How can anyone come up with that sort of thinking. Must have a very tangled mind.

Guess what! It's one's individual right to OC, CC, or not carry at all. Get over the control freak trips, and be a nicer person. To argue against anothers choice is foolish and wrong headed. No one is trying to force anyone else to OC. However, I do see the voluntary slaves trying to pull down anyone else that is attempting to live as free as they can. The shame is on them for attempting to bully others.

I think I'll go stick my finger in some leftist eyes.

jim
Thanks JIM, I totally agree. carry and carry everyday which ever way you are comfortable. but i do have to say, know your reasons to carry (or not) as you do
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
BFF, don't forget about the detergent factor.
Couldn't sleep, so I got up early this morning. Wasn't really awake until I read this one. Thanks for a good laugh; it woke me right up!

Quote:
BG's only go after people that are weaker then they are.
Oh, wow! When did this start happening? Most of the BG's I've known have been, 'meaner than dirt' and, 'craftier than hell'; and if they weren't then I didn't really consider them to be, 'bad guys'. Just, 'nuisances'.

Quote:
Also don't forget the honesty factor.
R iiii ght! Nor the stupidity factor, as well!

Quote:
BG's hide their guns, for reason, they are afraid of what others will think.
You know, I can't help, but, notice that in the above example the BG's are described as being more socially aware than the average, neck-bearded OC! 'How' is that?

Quote:
Don't run out the old, "you make a target of yourself"; it just does not happen. I have several personal accounts , where when they seen I was armed ... They left me alone
Yeah, yeah, yeah! I once had a guy sneak up on me while I was pumping gas. I got that, 'funny feeling', turned around to see him, and my jacket briefly revealed the piece I was carrying. He immediately stopped in his tracks, said nothing to me, changed direction, and walked away. So, ....... exactly, 'What' does that prove?

OUTSIDE OF PLACES LIKE TOMBSTONE, AZ OR DEADWOOD, SD; AND (MAYBE) PARTS OF RURAL ALASKA, ANYONE WHO OPENLY SPORTS A GUN, NOWADAYS, IS A TARGET!

What do you think? Nobody's watching the evening news?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Don't run out the old, "you make a target of yourself"; it just does not happen. I have several personal accounts , where when they seen I was armed ... They left me alone
Actually, it does happen:
http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.p...taken-by-thug/
Quote:
Open Carrier Shot And Killed When Gun Taken By Thug
http://gawker.com/open-carrying-guy-...-gu-1644022889
Quote:
An Oregon man taking advantage of the state's open carry laws had his new semiautomatic pistol stolen at gunpoint
By carrying concealed, the DETERRENT factor works for everyone since it keeps the bad guys guessing, and it doesn't irritate anyone else

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...backlash-texas

Quote:
"As gun owners, whether or not our decisions are dictated by the law, we are still accountable for them," the statement began. "If we exercise poor judgment, our decisions will have consequences…such as turning an undecided voter into an antigun voter because of causing that person fear or offense."
Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM

None of this make any difference . The bottom line it is your right and makes not one wit what others think. We had this same discussion right here several years ago with the same worn out arguments - many time from the same people .