BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Quilt making time

Now cold weather has set in I need to finish up quilt blocks into tops. Then I can start on new materials in to different style tops.

Been doing 16 patch to use up the scraps I had. I have batch of heavier scrap to make crazy quilts. And I have been saving odds and ends of things to use on them. Embroidery, things off tee shirts and such. I think it will work.

Friday I stopped in city at sewing store to get vacuum bags and they had quilting machine set up. $11.000.00. What a fancy toy. I tie my quilts.

Planning to shop for quilt material when I go out of town for Thanksgiving week. Hopefully I will find some I want.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Looking for fabrics is so much fun! Good luck with your hunt.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Default good hunting

For fabric. I have good luck at thrift stores. As far as the crazy quilt goes, consider getting interesting clothing that is embellished (vests, aprons, pjs) and use the embellishment on the crazy quilt. Have fun!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 AM

Default Fab Shop Hop

Has anyone here been to the fabshophop.com site to try to win fabric or a sewing machine?

I "look for the bunnies" every month. Haven't won anything yet. Probably will after I break down and take my husband up on purchasing a new sewing machine.

I have what I call "bad timing". Decided two years ago to make an attempt at designing a quilted wall hanging for a contest. The day the quilt was due to be dropped off, I was deathly ill (kidney infection) and had to go to the emergency room to be admitted to the hospital. It was too late by the time hubby got back home to drop off the quilt.

I thought about trying to sell it on Amazon. I used to do a lot of crafts shows here (until 9/11 hit and almost everyone selling went into a slump that just hasn't come back.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:25 PM

connie,
Thank you.I never heard of the site before. I will give it a look.

I use to do a lot of craft shows too. I made cabbage patch type dolls and then hundreds of doll clothes. I saved the scraps for quilts. I did other crafts too. Things sure changed.

Crackergirl,

I do check the thrift shops I get to. I do not drive any more (83) and I live good many miles from a thrift shop. I have saw very little in them in way of material. Like yesterday the senior bus had no time to go to a thrift shop. Medical stops and we got to Walmart. I am in a very small town out in the middle of no where. DIL says not so just on the edge of no where.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 AM

Default Latest Crafts Shows

Colorado,

Do you think there is still a future for crafts shows?

There's a big one on this weekend here in a Chicago suburb that I used to go to (as a customer) for years:

http://hpifestivals.com/

The one in Villa Park (Elmhurst, IL) is the one I went to.

I couldn't get the "senior" entrance fee at the time; guess I qualify now, LOL.

I would see the same items year after year, in the same spot. I decided to make different things at least if I got stuck with the same location within the fair.

Sold a lot on Ebay, too. I would find fabrics/trims at rummage sales and resell them online. Also did Christmas ornaments and hand mirrors.

I had 100% positive feedback on Ebay; I stopped selling there because Ebay kahunas decided to make some unrealistic changes ("the customer is never wrong").
Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 PM

This little town has two craft shows. One Labor day in park and you must put up canopy. Like $10. The other at the school and not sure what it is as never gotten to it. Senior center had one or sale and never did find and think maybe she takes stuff to the school one. Could be something up at the college too.

When I was doing doll clothes I got bags of trims for them at thrift shops. Short pieces and that worked great. Scrap material worked great so had many kinds of materials in them. I has started with selling rock jewelry and it quit selling in the oil shale bust. I went dolls ands doll clothes and Xmas decorations. Originals things would sell. Grand Junction just was not a good craft selling area.

I plan to do original quilts. I am still not unpacked. I moved here to be by son. Material I wanted for quilts was no long sold in stores. So I started in watching the thrifts store and found it so have good assortment of colors. Material has gotten so high. Last Nov I averaged $10 yard for material. I hope they will have material I want this year.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:16 AM

Colorado,

$10 entry fee? Whoooee! That's a deal. $125-$250 here (at least they supply porta-potties).

The canopy...love it. Brings back memories. I had one show where the last hour of the last day (here comes my "bad timing" again ) the sky got dark. The temperature dropped suddenly. (We had our backs to Lake Michigan (literally) but this wasn't wasn't lake-effect). I told hubby to start packing NOW. Hubby didn't listen...busy talking to the seller next to us. So I started on my own. Then the wind picked up...then other sellers started rushing their packing. I just about got the remainder of my merchandise in the last box and was trying to get the canopy to collapse when the wind gust came in. Hubby was trying to help the guy next to us; the guy said, "Help your wife" (THANKS!) We had to hang on to the top of our canopy. The sidewalls were flapping like bed sheets in the wind.

Only had one broken mirror.

What sort of fabric do you need?

I used to love rock jewelry when I as a kid. I still have a bracelet and two rings from crafts shows way back when. I do have one quartz necklace I bought a couple of years ago.

I was amazed that in Wisconsin, there are a lot of art/craft shows all year round and more than I expected in the winter months.

I sure would like to see your original quilts when you finish them.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:42 PM

I am back. I got material Wed. while gone to older son's. Two stores down that way and one did not have any this year. I had saved money for this. I would guess I got about 50 yards is all. Wild animal panels and blocks. They are getting harder to find. This shoud last me for long time.

Wind and canopies. I had a guy's come over and land on my space. He was closing down as was the rest of us. Some had left. One leg stuck under my pickup and I grabbed the thing at top side but it was side ways down. It had hit the guy in the head and he came and got it. Another seller came to my aid and helped hold it down till he could get it.

I found one yellow and white plaid new sheet for $1 and several other sheets. I got to 3 thrift shops. One has some material but not much I could use.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 AM

The wild animal panels are getting harder to find? I bought some years ago. That, and a lot of cow-related fabric. (That has dwindled, also).

Hubby brought up getting me a new sewing machine for Xmas again. I'd like one where the bobbin doesn't jam up as much (my machine is cheap and ancient, but I get things done on it). And a bigger bed to help manipulate the fabric while sewing. Did see some $4,000 machines, but no way. More like a $450 machine (a Brother). The ladies at a quilting group I used to frequent advised me to keep my old machine, just in case. Some day I'll make the splurge...

The other thing that would have been nice with the canopy would to have gotten the more "deluxe" (and expensive) professional model (rounded top). I think they used to run $1,000. It can withstand wind gusts pretty well. (And water getting in).

Check out this site: www.equilter.com

Some neat fabric; they carry wildlife panels and fabric.

The new Fab Shop Hop is starting December 1st. (The one I told you about): www.fabshophop.com

Since you posted about your fabric, I've been thinking of re-entering the quilting show that I missed a couple of years ago. More than one person actually brought in "quilts" consisting of two bed sheets sewn together (with no actual quilting on them) at the first show I did. I thought I was seeing things...
Old 11-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Guess I should define that "wild animals." Colorado wild animals. Deer. elk, antelope, moose. bear and mountain lions. I did get mountain lion print but no blocks or panels. I got Buffalo even. Birds like eagles. Wolves and some stuff. All animal prints but one panel of snow scene . All blocks or panels but the mountain lions.

I forgot to ask if had butterflies. But not part of the set of wild life quilts. Want large...

Back when I was married my husband said flat out he would not buy me an electric machine. I was using his exwive's old tread. I needed to be able to do button holes to keep make dresses for our daughter. Told me order her 6 dresses and told him $18 and tax and postage. He said I was picking fancy ones and I said no cheapest in catalog. Back in 56 and he said not to send order and we would get in town when we went as he know dresses could not be $3 piece. They were $4 in town. He went to second hand place and bought OLD Sears straight stitch machine and buttonholer for it. I used that from 56 till I got my Pfaff in early 70. (he died end of 68) And it still my workhorse to sew with. It's just zigzag with a few drop in cams. Got fancier singer for $10 at a yard sale and had to buy the zigzag plate and instruction book. So total $34 . It sewed okay. I have several machines but no costly ones. I would never do that much sewing.

I have to start designing the wild life quilts. I told my younger son this material is high and really costing per quilt. He still thinks okay to do it. I have to start spending so much time a day on sewing them. I need to budget my time.

One of the magazines I can remember showing how to make a quilt with two sheets. But it would not be anything to show. Most quilts I have made is to put on the bed to keep you warm.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:49 AM

Did the bed sheet quilts have any batting layered in them?

These ladies that I encountered just had two bed sheets sewn together.

I've never seen it before (or after).
Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM

I can not imagine anyone sewing two sheets together and calling it a quilt.

Couple years back I got a piece of material. Brand real tree. Deer panel and to use I will have to cut off at 3 or 4 inches across the bottom and that messes up the border but only way to get it off. And then I found their name printed on the tree in scene. No way to cut it out. Pretty panel and knew I would have to cut it off but I did not see it in the tree. . I saw some real tree material on internet and no way I would buy it. They sure ruined that deer panel.

I have been sorting material this morning . Getting it to each animal and some material I will have to cut as more than one on the piece.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I am back. I got material Wed. while gone to older son's. Two stores down that way and one did not have any this year. I had saved money for this. I would guess I got about 50 yards is all. Wild animal panels and blocks. They are getting harder to find. This shoud last me for long time.

Wind and canopies. I had a guy's come over and land on my space. He was closing down as was the rest of us. Some had left. One leg stuck under my pickup and I grabbed the thing at top side but it was side ways down. It had hit the guy in the head and he came and got it. Another seller came to my aid and helped hold it down till he could get it.

I found one yellow and white plaid new sheet for $1 and several other sheets. I got to 3 thrift shops. One has some material but not much I could use.
I'm afraid EZ-Up also means easy over. We have weights (pvc pipe filled with QuikCrete) strapped to each leg with bungee cords. They help a lot. So far no one else's canopy has landed on ours ::crossing fingers:: Our farmers market is on a windy rise and slowly other vendors are learning about weights.

Do you do a lot of shows?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 AM

rubyyarn,

I had the PVC pipes, but my canopy was ready for take-off, LOL.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 AM

Colorado,

Someone printed their name on the panel??
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Company put their name in the panel. Big letter on the bottom part of panel. The also designed it in the tree on the panel.. REAL TREE.

I am not doing shows now as I can not drive. I want to if I can get organized.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Last month I sorted material still need to re=pack it that I will not be using now . I need start sewing quilts tops. I did buy two sheets for slashing and borders. Black and dark green.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Default Got started

Started on the quilt for grandbaby one today. DD + I decided to use windmill in red and white or light. Got three 8" squares done, in between playing with said grandbaby.
I recently did 8-9 'quilts' using samples of upholstery and backed with plain cotton. They were smallish, good to wrap around a person, no batting. But I sent them to the halfway house in town, where they could be used for bed toppers and if they chose to give it to the graduate, they had no money in it.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM

Default quilts

was a good time today with the cold weather to get some quilt scraps cleaned up. I have a box full of 4 inch squares that I am making into 16 square blocks. I want to start some new projects, but I have to clean some scraps up before I do. I got 9 blocks done so far, going to make myself stay with it until box is empty. Has anyone ever pieced batting? I have so many big strips have kept from quilts I have made.