BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Black Screen

Hi

Our computer is coming up with a black screen all of a sudden.

I was just watching a video on MSN and when it finished, the computer screen went black. The machine was still on.

Hubby said he didn't hear the fan (of the computer).

We had to force it to shut down. Waited for 10 minutes, now it's okay.

Well, okay for the moment. For a couple of months now, getting dropped off the internet and have to turn off the route for 20 seconds and re-connect. This can go on numerous times during the day/evening.

Got the black screen twice before (last week).

The computer seems less stable since hubby did a yearly "clean up" of the computer a few months ago.

Our computer is 3-4 years old.

Thanks for any ideas/tips.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 AM

My laptop did that. It was apparently over-heating and melted something inside. Took it to be repaired- $100--> Did it again a month later.--> Dumpster.

The repair guy said to keep the battery out of it if not using it portabley and to keep it well ventilated and dust free.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM

doc is probably right on with his assessment about heat - but it depends if you are talking about a laptop or desktop also.....
Old 11-22-2014, 04:04 AM

Default Makes Sense!

Thanks!

It's a desk top.

I just read everything to hubby and he agrees. Actually, he's talked about the machine getting too hot under the desk. It feels way hotter in summer (heating radiating). Just not sure how to make things more environmentally friendly for the machine...it's like a piece of furniture so it can't sit outside.

I guess if we bought an Apple, one that has a really small computer, that would solve the problem? This is the third computer that gets around three years old and starts to act the same way (they all have been under the desk so they have that in common).

It doesn't like to communicate with the printer properly, either. Of course it jams/doesn't start when I have 50 coupons to print out.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 PM

When I used to place my desktop computer under my desk it would get dirty quickly - dirty in meaning that the air vents would get clogged with dust and dirt.

The first thing to do is disconnect all the wires (including the power cord) and open the case. Usually the left side panel comes off easily with 2 small screws. Then with a can of compressed air you need to blow out all the rear grill vents plus the air intake vents on the front of the box.

This would be a good first step to diagnosing the problem. After being cleaned see how it acts. When I had mine on the floor I had to do this every 2 months. Heat is the quickest killer - if the fans can't operate properly and draw air through the box it will quickly kill the components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypF2qkQx3A
Old 11-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Default Trying to Clean CPU Fan

Hi

Hubby took the cover off today and used the canned air.

We can't seem to remove the CPU cover. He undid the screws; three (to me) seemed loose and the fourth one seemed "stuck" but moved a bit. We did arrows going in one direction on the screws. I was able to move the top of the "stuck" one in both directions.

We did watch the videos; tried to find one more specific for Asus, but didn't see any.

Hubby also had the Asus repair site on Favorites, so went there to do a search on removing/cleaning CPU fans - nothing.

I did take a moist cotton swab and an electric razor brush and got some of the dust up; also ran the vac with the nozzle but it's still got a lot of dirt.

Can't figure out why the fan part is "stuck" (unless I'm missing a certain way to pull it out and disengage it??)

Thanks!