BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Book Savings

Does anyone here own a Nook e-reader?

My hubby reads A LOT; got to find a way to cut the cost of books (tried some resale shops but they don't charge .25 anymore, LOL.

If you have a reader, have you found you save $$ with it over time?

Do you have a preference - Kindle or NOOK. I like the idea of the night light and long lasting battery (NOOK).

Any particular problems?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 AM

Default Nook

I LOVE my Nook. I've had it for about three years.
When I was considering the purchase of a Nook vs a Kindle, I learned that many libraries have compatibility with Nooks....great way to read books for free. The biggest factor in my decision was the availability of a real person (at Barnes and Noble) to help me if I needed it. There are even free classes from time to time, too.
There are lots and lots of free books available for download, some through Barnes and Noble's 'Free Friday' events as well as BookBub and typing in $0.00 on the shopping link on the Nook.
Yes, Backwoods Home is available on Kindle, but I cherish my paper copies of the magazine which I'll still have if TSHTF unlike the stuff on my Nook.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 AM

I bought myself a Kindle a couple years ago - best thing I ever did. Now being stuck home and in my chair most days reading helps so much to help pass the time and keep my mind engaged.

But I hate to pay full price even for Kindle books. Amazon constantly has specials every day - there is a list of 300 books for $1.99 or less plus countdown deals every day. Look at the top left menu on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/...node=154606011

But even with that I just get lost sometimes looking through so many books. A friend of mine got me started with a site called ereaderiq - free to join of course - I now have a daily email set up from them. Once a day they send you an email with a selection of 6-8 of the best Kindle deals of the day - some free and some real cheap - and a nice selection. I just go through that email each day and pick one or two some days and buy them. Doing this I usually keep a stock ot 6-8 new books all the time on my reader.

http://www.ereaderiq.com/
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Hi all, I'm new here but thought I would chime in. I have always been an avid reader but the cost of reading material like every thing else, has gone through the roof. My wife bought an IPad as a birthday present for me two years ago. IMHO it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I use it primarily for reading and Internet access. I still purchase regular books for reference material on how to things but for pleasure reading the tablet is the least expensive way to go. It may take a while to recoup your initial investment depending on how much you read but when you compare the ease of downloading something to going to the book store or where ever you buy your books it is well worth it. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 AM

Default Amazon

Hi

I asked Amazon about reading their e-books on our computer via browser.

Also can download to the NOOK:

==

Hello,

I understand you want to read kindle books directly to your computer.

In this case, I recommend that you try to use Kindle Cloud Reader. Kindle Cloud Reader allows you to instantly read Kindle books through a web browser with no download or installation required. The app is available for following browsers:

Google Chrome 20 and higher on Linux, MacOS X, and Windows
Mozilla Firefox 10 and higher on Linux, MacOS X, and Windows
Safari 5 and higher on iOS and MacOS X
Internet Explorer 10 and higher on Windows

To access Kindle Cloud Reader, visit https://read.amazon.com

For more help using Kindle Cloud Reader, see www.amazon.com/help/kindlecloudreader

If there's anything else you need, please feel free to contact us back as we will be more than happy to help you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

You can also call us directly on the following number if your country isn't listed or you're unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature:

Toll free: 1-888-280-4364
International: 1-206-266-2992(if you're calling from outside the U.S.).
Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Master Pontificator

I have a Kindle, bought the first one coming out.....love it so much I got a Kindle Fire HD later. You can get free books, you can get cheap books, but no matter what books can be up to 50 percent cheaper on a book reader. I love the no paper throw away part....as I read up to a 100 books a year or more. I do buy books I want to save, or use as reference, in fact I have a whole library. I play games and watch videos on the kindle....as the evening I am in pain and in bed. I belong to Amazon Prime which has tons of free books, free movies, and free music that is in my Amazon cloud. One great thing is today you can download a movie and watch it anywhere. Books, I have over 400 now....as someone said they can go anywhere from 99 cents up. When I have a doctors or hospital appointment the Kindle goes with me and I read between sittings and waiting. It is major lighter then a book, plus you have access to you whole collection to read. It is like a mini entertainment center,....and the new Kindle Fire HD is $139.00 I think. My daughter in law likes it better then her Ipad, as she says the movie sound is so much better plus she is a book reader also.... In fact the other day I sat there in the recliner and order my whole Christmas gifts from Amazon on my Kindle.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 AM

When I bought an eReader I got a Kindle Fire and I was very thankful since it was all I had for a computer for quite some time. I've got over 1,200 books and magazines on it the majority of which were absolutely free and the only one I pay regular price for are some novellas by my favorite who only put them out as e-books to begin with, she has since sent me print copies of three of them but I won't be deleting them as I want both and I hope to eventually have all her books in both print and e-book form.

One thing I can suggest is that he follow all the authors he likes on Facebook as many authors have giveaways ever so often and he may be lucky enough to win a free book. You'll probably want to set up a separate email address so he can use it when entering contests and signing up for newsletters, some authors list contests in their newsletter that is separate from the one on their Facebook page. If the authors he reads have a blog be sure and follow it as some also run contest connected to their blog. I've won many things from free books to the top prize of an iPad. I recently had to contact a publishing company that I won some books from to inquire about their whereabouts as I hadn't received them a month after winning them. The lady I contacted was very apologetic and included some extra books for my granddaughters, they'll be getting them for Christmas, and a tee shirt that I was absolutely thrilled to have. About a week after receiving the replacement shipment I received another two books from them making the total of books they sent to me over a dozen. This is what I consider excellent customer service.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Default free ebooks, readers, and converters

[QUOTE=connie189;400071]Hi

"Kindle Cloud Reader allows you to instantly read Kindle books through a web browser...."

I've used it for a long time, too. It's free and works flawlessly. Also, i've strarted using a free, generic reader that will open most formats, including kindle's stuff, and functions even better. There are several of these free, generic ereaders available for download to different kinds of 'puters. Anything you can't open on your particular ereader, you can use another free program to convert the other formats.
Just use a good search engine for this category and you might be amazed at what all is available to read and to read it with on any kind of computer, all gratis. Good reading,

oeb
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Does anyone here own a Nook e-reader?

My hubby reads A LOT; got to find a way to cut the cost of books (tried some resale shops but they don't charge .25 anymore, LOL.

If you have a reader, have you found you save $$ with it over time?

Do you have a preference - Kindle or NOOK. I like the idea of the night light and long lasting battery (NOOK).

Any particular problems?

Thanks!

Connie, I have both. Unfortunately they don't save much money because they encourage me to buy more books! It is nice that I can buy fiction without worrying that it will take up room in my house. I still prefer paper for things like knitting books, cookbooks, and things like that.

You might like the site prepforshtf.com. They have a section for FREE books for the Kindle. Many of them are short and published like, yesterday, but there are also some that are worth the download.

Apparently Amazon has different Kindle books for free every day, so there are probably some non-prepper items available. I haven't bothered to dig them out yet
Old 12-17-2014, 02:50 AM

An update:

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Nook - on sale at $99 with free shipping and a free $5 e-book.

Hubby is going wild here because B & N rep just gave us a different story than the one I spoke with...

Apparently we can't download to the computer via USB cable and then send to NOOK. (Also called a nearby B & N store and they verified this).

Has to be downloaded directly through Wi-Fi. That would mean to buy another gizmo ($150 the rep quoted) to connect with Wi-Fi on our computer. Or, go to McDonalds (nearby) and use their free Wi-Fi.

Agh!!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM

You can buy a wireless router for as little as $20. Simply plug & play.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=router
Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 AM

Thanks, Coaltrain!

What I saved on the device on sale, I told hubby go to Office Depot (two blocks away) and buy a cheapie router. He picked up one for $29 but we had a $10 rewards coupon to offset the cost.

He got everything set up (it took a while and he had to call customer service to walk him through setting up a password) and got his free book this morning.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Thanks, Coaltrain!

What I saved on the device on sale, I told hubby go to Office Depot (two blocks away) and buy a cheapie router. He picked up one for $29 but we had a $10 rewards coupon to offset the cost.

He got everything set up (it took a while and he had to call customer service to walk him through setting up a password) and got his free book this morning.
Glad to hear that! Now you have a WiFi setup in your home for any other devices you may want to use in the future. Like a Roku unit for streaming Netflix etc.

I never in my life thought I would read anything other than a regular bound book but my Kindle Paperwhite has been the best thing I bought to help pass the time while being chair bound most days. I've read a bunch of good books that were free or $.99.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM

I prefer physical, in hand, books. I have to admit though, when I was in Afghanistan the Nook was very convenient.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:30 PM

I love my devices. Different ones have different pros and cons, and with every single new update, there are so many changes. It's impossible to keep up enough to always make the best purchase possible, and I've had to not get upset when I didn't make the best choice.

You can download a Kindle app for most devices now, and often the Kindle app is whispersync compatible, which means that if you buy the eBook and audio, the book is read to you. There are quite a few classics where the eBook is free and the accompanying audio is 99 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...d_i=1000827761
Old 12-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Most libraries in the capital city have overdrive ebooks that you can download. Most devices have an overdrive app.

Most libraries in capital cities allow residents anywhere in the state to join for free. You just need to get to the capital once to get a card, and then you can access the website from home, whenever you want.

Some capital cities also offer a hoopla subscription that lets you borrow 10 free movies a month.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:43 PM

If you are not a superpicky reader, then $9.99 for a month of unlimited reading and listening is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1002872331