BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Gov Cheese

Hope this doesn't sound like a weird question...

A friend of mine years ago became unemployed and was on unemployment benefits for a short period of time.

She went to a food pantry at a church; they gave her some groceries. For some reason (she's single) they gave her two packages of "government cheese". She gave me one.

I wondered about the cheese and some other gov items that I never heard of before.

Does the U.S.gov really have a stockpile of this food? If they do, where would they keep it?

Would it be the same food they ship to other countries for relief efforts?

How would churches get a hold of it?

Sorry, this was more than one question.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Hope this doesn't sound like a weird question...

A friend of mine years ago became unemployed and was on unemployment benefits for a short period of time.

She went to a food pantry at a church; they gave her some groceries. For some reason (she's single) they gave her two packages of "government cheese". She gave me one.

I wondered about the cheese and some other gov items that I never heard of before.

Does the U.S.gov really have a stockpile of this food? If they do, where would they keep it?

Would it be the same food they ship to other countries for relief efforts?

How would churches get a hold of it?

Sorry, this was more than one question.
Being a widow living on SS, my maternal Grandmother qualified to received the "Govt cheese", and she did go get some several times. I think it was back in the 70's this program was in operation.

Yes, the govt. did have a stockpile. The cheese was a way of storing the surplus milk they collected from the dairy farmer's subsidy program which quarantined dairy prices. They also stockpiled vast amounts of wheat, corn, and similar grains.

There is no such program today. The stockpiles are gone, I've been told. The farm subsidy programs have been trimmed over the years and the govt. found other programs they like spending money on better.

Maybe others can aid for information.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Love the government cheese

My MIL used to get it up to the mid 80s. loved the cheese she would give us
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM

I remember when the program was stopped.

They stopped it because the government was paying for air conditioned warehouses, and they figured they would save money by giving it away to the folks they considered "poor". Some friends of mine said their parents got some.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM

During the time that was going on, my parents were given cheese, powdered milk, and other thing that there friends got...

As I remember it was a lot like Velveeta cheese.... Not the greatest stuff, but not bad for cooking....

Now it seems the aid people who need it comes from the system of pantrys across the country... I show up at the local pantry on the two days a month the delivery truck comes... Just to provide some labor to unload the tuck, and help stock shelves, recycle card board and such...

Take care...
Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 PM

They still give out gov boxes of food. Low income seniors get. No idea what they get in them. I take it is gov surplus. They use churches and such as pick up places. Years back I was given a piece by a lady and it was American. Good cheese.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Master Pontificator

This post is becoming a little dated, but not only did the government stockpile vast amounts of commodity foods, it stockpiles many different things.

I know the commodity foods storage has been greatly curtailed, but I am pretty sure it still partially exists, because of the USDA School Lunch Subsidies Program.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:30 PM

When I was just a kid my mother would drive over to10th and Eastern there in Oklahoma City, back into a parking space in front of the commodity building and open the trunk. As folks came out she would buy the cheese, those canned chickens, powdered milk, and lots of other stuff for just 50 cents to a dollar. This went on for years until the food stamp program started up. She had just way too much pride to walk inside and sign up. She wouldn't trade wine for food like others did, but even as a little child I knew exactly what was going on. We were extremely poor, lived in a tar paper shack down on the River, but as each of us kids got old enough we finally worked our way out of there and moved to a real neighborhood. Anyhow, those commodities were a real treat!
Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 PM

http://www.commodityfoods.usda.gov/programs.htm

Looks like it still exists in some form.