BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:16 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Female Self-Defense

Would anyone have an idea what a good form of protection would be (short of a gun) for a woman?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Would anyone have an idea what a good form of protection would be (short of a gun) for a woman?
In all honesty I'd say a good sense of situational awareness and common sense is by far the most valuable form of protection for anybody. However, I assume you are looking for advice on physical means of protection and that you are already great at judging threat levels.

Depending on your build, learning and practicing basic hand-to-hand self defense may make sense. If you can't carry a firearm, then it's likely that alternate (but inferior) tools like knives and tasers are out of the question as well. As a woman, you may have some leeway in terms of getting away with carrying something "innocuous" like pepper sprays or tasers, but don't count on it.

But a fist is something you can carry with you at all times, so if you are built for being physical, hand-to-hand defense makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Master Pontificator

I taught martial arts for over 20 some years with three different black belts in different styles. Including self defense classes..... as I found almost all taught by men where dangerous for women. One reason, men are a lot stronger then women. Women can be easily over powered once a man has a hold of you. Name of the game do not let them get ahold of you and keep them away from your physical self. One major way to do that is holding onto a door frame and kicking. I found by teaching women, most women are not able to kill by their training as a child. You need to know if you would??? or could,....and most noted would you stop to think it over in the moment???.....because that hesitation will get you killed. It is noted in any kind of defense ....running is the best defense against any one and this goes for men especially. Do not get into a confrontation if possible. As you do not want to change the situation..... like them wanting to rob you, to wanting to kill you because you pissed them off. Keep that mouth of yours shut with the smart ass remarks. If you want to know what they want....quietly ask, most all cases they will tell you.

Weapons ....are easy to take away from someone who do not continuous practice using them. If you have not fired a gun in a few years....guess what ... you have up the danger zone for yourself. I do not carry, because I am better with other weapons....know your weapon of choice.

If you carry a knife,. a legal one is better, if there is such a thing, ..mine is a banana cutter to cut bananas at the banana farm, ...you need to know how to fight with a knife. Practice with a stick. Keep that knife sharpen and your muscle condition for fast approach. This can be learned by an instructor and practice, practice.

If you carry pepper spray which I have taught but do not recommend it...this can be dangerous unless you know and practice on how to use it. Number one issue the wind picks it up and blows it into your face instead of the attacker, you need to know wind direction. The first thing that happens is women get it taken away and then it is used on you...because you are too slow using it. Or number two,.. I know women who used it but... it did not work because the attacker were drunk or on drugs. But... I do recommend using wasp spray or bear spray...as they spray long distance and strong stream. Here in the islands it is impossible to get bear spray....illegal. But I have wasp spray for wasp and other large bees.... in about five places around the house AND IN THE CAR....GREAT THING TO HAVE WHEN SOMEONE BREAKS THE WINDOW. Pepper spray is also illegal to carry in some states...so you always go for legal versus illegal...as it the intent to kill that is consider if you use weapons of any kind.

A taser is illegal in most states...but if your life is in danger use it....but know you will be sitting in court....make it worth it! Also note....in training that a taser can kill someone who has heart diease....if you carry it note....this one defect of it.

The best self defense classes in the US is called model mugging....what is it? Women are strong in the legs learn how to kick to break things,...where as a man is strong in the upper body...try not let him hit you with his fist. The element of surprise,....women go from whimpy to full on war. NOTE: this is gross but if your in danger of being killed.... If your near someone...hook the eye and pull it out. or... Grab hard...and Pull straight down on the ears,... they come off. OR: Jam you palm into the under side of nose and push up and you shatter the nose. Removing body parts often gives one time to run...that is the goal...run and run. You must be physically fit is the number one safety goal.

For me older and bone disease... I carry a hard, hard cane and I know how to use it. If someone has a gun....I have to wait until I can get near enough to attack. I note that anything including a hard book can be used to attack someone....and I stay in good enough shape lifting things that I can use them as weapons. As it is noted if you physical fit ....then you are able. I worked with a few guys over weight and it was a joke about guns so....we had this..... I would chase and knock down and when they fell, they would shot them. Guns do not help often.... when you can not move much.

Another note security of your home is major help, never get in a car without looking into it, and when you go outside look for people hanging around and looking at you. If you get that creepy feeling turn around be safe and not sorry..... There is a book called the Gift of Fear....it is about your survival self...that little thing that says this is not OK....animals have it ...they run and so should you when that voice says ....not OK.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Master Pontificator

Another note....people will attack because they think you are good choice...that,.....means you do not look like you are able,.. to hurt them. This also...includes being drunk, or otherwise makes you a choice target. I learned a long time ago....the evil eye. People in prison have this hard core look....it says you touch me, and will kill you without a doubt. I call this the Clint Eastwood look when he says go ahead and make my day....this actor has the evil eye.... and I can say it may have saved my life more then I want to admit. Learn and get the eye....it is a major safety thing for anyone. I am small thin wimpy looking woman but I can turn on crazy, totally off your rocker kind of scary action that makes the nuts turn and leave. But that means that I am willing to go all the way with that action. When I was in the wheel chair, I was valuable but they did not know I could get up and walk....the eye and my mouth going thousand miles a hour was enough for them to seek another victim. If you are not able to fight then you need to surrender and keep quiet...and let them do their thing and pray they do not kill you, like I said you do not want to make them mad and then not follow up. It is a personal decision in the end. We have a saying in karate...choose your fights wisely....do not kill unless your going to be killed until then you run.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM

My kids took some karate as kids. Their mantra was to run and scream if they could, and if the guy grabbed them to break their grip and THEN run and scream! Hitting and kicking came later, as they did not want the kids to be fighting a larger opponent unless they had no choice. Everybody had to be able to break a variety of grips before they were taught how to hit somebody where it hurts.

Then again, if you are worried about home defense, I think that city dwellers would do well to get a medium sized dog. Attackers in a city prefer to keep things quiet, and dogs bark! The best watch dog I EVER had was a Pekenese mix! He was quiet unless somebody was approaching the house. THEN he barked at the top of his lungs to let me know there was someone coming up the walk. DH was on the road back then: my plan was to go out the window or the door if someone tried to break into the house: I already knew that nobody could get in without the Pekenese mix waking me up BEFORE they got in. I also put a bat under the bed as a plan B.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:58 PM

why have you eliminated the best tool for self defense? You could take Karate but as the best innovator it the arts use to say That being Bruce Lee. He said I tech women in my classes but really the best chance they got is to kick the attacker and run like hell. He use to say no 135lbs woman will take a 200lbs man no matter what training she has. If you can't carry a gun then I guess the 2nd best is a knife. But take some classes their is more to knife fighting then you might think
Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Everyone has some great points.....screaming will not do it. I took a black belt class for self defense...it was from some gang leader/martial artist who wanted to prove that we did not know nothing about self defense. I learn tons....first it was night time in a parking garage of a major bank,....about five stories...high, we were to walk down this alley into garage the building next to us was safe zone...if we reach it ...we were safe. At point of attack if we knocked to the ground,....and the attacker hit the ground by our head we were consider dead. We were told that.... we could scream all we wanted that no one would help us....we could do anything and no one would call the police....and because this was a proven fact....they did not call the police and tell them that this was a training exercise. Well I got to the alley and then into the garage and I was jumped...thinking I could fight better close up...he grabbed me and before I knew I was dead. In fact all of us two women and 15 men where dead in a short time....because we did not follow the rule do not let them grab you or get near you. This included the pro football player so it was not about ...size, weight,, training or tackle experience. Second time I grabbed a car going down the ramp, a couple inside....I kept the car between me and my attacker...guess what???... they did not call the cops, they did nothing.... I was shocked!! What got me to win was in the stairwell....when I grabbed onto both of the bars and kicked this guy about five times with everything I had and he fell down the stairs, ....he got up and chased me to the elevator...again I had a hold of both doors ...to keep him out and kicked him enough to get the doors shut for me to run to safe area. These guys attackers where in full gear which made it hard for them to get hurt....but they prove their point. Scream all you want no one is going to help you.... but they did say if others think they are in danger they will act..... you yell he has a bomb...he is going to blow the place. Lesson do not let them near you, do not go into a place where you are trapped,...this is major disadvantage. Women your legs are strong as mens arms...use them in self defense major and know how to pack a powerful kick...this is exercise and self health issue.

But my main ....thing I can not express, know what works....I can not let a man grab me....as if he is strong enough then he can render me helpless. When a man is my own size and weight as a major advantage when using his hands ...I can not trust my ability to fist fight my way out of it.

Another situation.... I was in a major bar, blond beautiful....some guy grabbed my breast. Me a little drunk....grabbed his arm did a karate twist....throwing his face into the ground and jam his shoulder into an easy instant break if he moved....the whole bar to my awareness was cheering. This was one of the stupidest things I ever done...because I knew this man and his embarrassment wanted me dead...he left...and I ran because I knew if he came back that I would be gun down. You never do stupid things to change the situation...this was plain dumb especially for a woman. Learning how a twist a mans arm is not good for a woman, because he is ego driven...he is going to want to hurt that woman and bad. She needs to know what works and what is dangerous.

Dogs are awesome at times....but if the person has gun....your dog is dead one. Dogs are a warning point, do not count on them attacking... I see tons of dogs scared run....you are the attacker ...not the dog. If you attack it is know animals may also. As pointed out learn how to use your weapon, take lessons for that weapon,...know your strength and your weakness...and most of all never let yourself physical shape slide. I do know of three different black belts shot by guns in bars....their ego got them killed....when they should of ran,... they stayed and ran the mouth.....and bang they were gone.

Weapons of any kind you need to know how to use them.....but one class will not do it. This is what I got against women's self defense class because one year from now she will forget what she learned and more likely make her situation more dangerous. This is just my opinion and experience.....the women I know who can fight and protect ...practice and they can lift more then ten pound grocery bags.

Women in third world countries told me plain ...remove a body part and run like you never have in your life. Unless you are going to killed, then it is you or them. I wish we talk about this major....rape, abuse of women are rising in the US and our daughters are going to war...they should be trained young to shoot and fight.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:15 AM

HawaiiDi,

I used to wrestle with my hubby (after I'd go after him with an ice cube which he hates).

He was shocked that I almost threw him off me with my feet/legs. Actually, it didn't take that much effort. If he had my arms n a lock, that was a little more difficult, but I'd twist to get free.

I used to wrestle with our 15 y/o German Shepard/Sheltie that just passed in April. We used to give each other head butts, though (that hurt!)

He was a lap dog. No way would bark; would lick everyone. Ops, except one time we were on our noon time walk and he barked at this fellow by a car and growled - something he never did with people. The guy was trying to break into the car and didn't see us.

I had another dog right before him that was 19 when he passed. He'd tell you to move on if he didn't like your vibes.

I had a strange episode of getting bitten in our garden by a strange flying insect two years ago. I went downhill after that; hubby had to help me every day to get out of bed. It took me a year of physical therapy and a couple of arthritis meds to recuperate. I also had been on a strong antibiotic before the incident (Cipro) because I had a kidney infection I was hospitalized for. Turns out the Cipro months later affected my tendons. I ruptured my longhead biceps tendon on one side when I was trying to get out of bed. My knee and shoulder joints swelled and I had systemic inflammation.

So I am operating with one tendon on the right side (I'm right-handed) and although I'm not in pain with any of my joints now and off all medications (methotrexate) I have to be aware of how I move and straining (I can lift weight over my head now, but can't overdo).

You guessed it, I'm not wrestling hubby to the ground now, LOL.

Most of the times that something unpleasant has come up (like being robbed at gun point in an elevator) I've kept my cool and complied.

I guess what concerns me now is older individuals being attacked at random here. My MIL is 92 and never leaves her apartment (it's been that way for her at least 30 years).
Old 11-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Boy can I compare to you.....15 years ago...I was in top shape, went trekking in 3rd world countries...riding elephants and photo tigers and snakes. I have had a mass of German Shepards....one was a special assistant dog, when he went down I was rather insane lost. Bone diseases put me in the wheel chair,...through a number of surgeries I can walk...but I still can not do 90 percent of the things I used to do. I think for us who are older...we have to be smarter and aware. If you are disabled somewhat like me....your more of target.

So you are aware and there are things you do not do. Never go into the city alone at night, if someone is staring at you in the parking lot, it means possible trouble.....do not get a handicap license plate ( was told it makes a person a target for crime) by the people give them out. If gangs hang in the parking lots you can not go into that store...you have to go to safe places. At home this means gating your house, security camera that are hidden, Spending extra money and time to lock up, know where they would come into your house and how and make it harder. I have bells on all my doors that hang....anyone coming ding, ding. I have extra gates to gates, I have locks and double locks. An no matter how much I am weak, in pain, exhausted and hurting I keep my muscles moving....and strong. I can lift 90 pounds ....my arms are strong even though all the bones are broke up and diseased. I am walking where they say it is impossible. I never let anyone in my home, I never open the gate ...to talk to strangers outside, if I do talk to them it is in the middle of street that I stand where everyone can see me. My dog and I ....both.. I do believe a hard cane when you hit some one with force will break any kind of hold and bones to. But you need to be strong in the arms...exercise, carry that 50 pound of doggie food, do the hard core house work. Then go rest often if you need to. If your really scared a knife used by someone trained is more dangerous then a gun in my book. You never make yourself look like you have any money.....you dress poorly, in greys, browns and dull greens... you take off all your jewelry and hide it. When I go out and I am not physical doing well I could almost pass invisible as person who has nothing worth stealing. Let alone worth bothering. I was a person that had a top artist yard, and home....today the weeds grow in front, trash is thrown out in the drive...and it appears as if I am poor. You look at my house and the neighbors houses... mine is the last place you would rob. I made it that way....you would go rob the house up the street that is selling for a million and half dollars and then you would go hit those house around it. But me ...you can not see my house....trash trees, grass.

There was a guy in Egypt....when the riots broke out, they were burning house and killing people...he told a story of friend who had money had a fancy high fence and super pretty house and a safe room, he went there to hide. This house was a target...why because of the money. Riots broke into the house and killed his friend and family,... who mind you had a safe room, but one other person and him ran instead of stayed ... he took him to this weed patch dump of a house down the road. No one bother this house,...why because everyone knew by looking at it they had nothing worth stealing, was that the truth....no. It was just a front for safety. You need a front for safety....the way you dress, the manner of your home....it is noted it is not about the neighbors who will complain about home as they will robbed or a target before you.

I know tons of people who live out in the country like me....they do not know where the drug dealers are, where the gangs hang....they do not know anything....because they are safe they say. This is a joke as out in the country is where these people hide. Small towns are worst....the neighbor next door has three women locked in the basement and no one knows... why because of mr nice guy who is quiet good man. All they have to do is be aware ...but no nothing is going to happen to them. This is dangerous thinking and gets good people hurt. Just by being aware of surrounding makes you 100 percent safer then the next door neighbor. Something is wrong and its just feeling, listen to that feeling....that feeling keeps you safe....who gives a darn if you are wrong or are over protected.

Unsafe top awareness places....air port parking garages, any parking garage in the city, walmart type parking areas...the bigger it is the more dangerous it is, malls with groups of men hanging around, ...groups of kids ages 8 to 29 are dangerous to walk through, night time city, people knocking on your door,... never answer the door. If it is the police let them break down the door all you got to do is hide in the closet and tell them you knew it was someone trying to rob you. People who you know that give you the willies and you think something is wrong...but can not put your finger on it. Major warning sign....never be alone with this kind of person. Even if you have known them for ten years...something is wrong. What does this mean....saying no ....you can not come in,.. I am busy.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Master Pontificator

This does not mean you do not going into a parking, it means you go into parking lot... and do not make your self a target. Who are targets....that is easy, they are the people on the cell phone talking who are not aware of their surroundings, they are people walking and texting....they are the women walking and looking at the ground. I walk head up and I look at you,.. if you are looking at me.....I say with my eyes I see you. I look and if I see someone who is not right, my alarm goes off.....possible trouble, go around, come back later, or wait until gone. Do you need self defense for your safety not really ....you need to be in the now 100 percent. When you go into area watch people....almost all of them are not present and in the knowing. They are targets for crime. Right now crime is major going up around the whole country, why because we hit hard times and people need money, more drugs, more drunks need a drink.... but we do not need to be scared...we just need to be prepared that is just awareness. There are people in parking lot standing outside that are staring at people and you have to say to yourself what in heck are they doing? It is not normal behavior. Normal behavior is get in the store, shop and get home so it is possible this person is some kind of trouble.? That is a yes.

Another thing,....today you can buy everything including groceries on line....you do not have to go out. I get everything from Amazon including food on those days I do not want to go out and just not feeling up to power. Amazon comes in the mail to the front door, or my case the gate...the dogs go nuts, and I go get it.

Always carry a cell phone for safety reason, a cheap no contract phone can cost anywhere from 10 dollars a month, it is a major investment into your safety. and if you can afford it have a key carry car alarm....keep you hand on that button until you get into the store. Little things like this tell the would be criminal this person is not safe to touch....and go get the lady with her head in texting smart phone and fancy 200 dollar purse.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
My MIL is 92 and never leaves her apartment (it's been that way for her at least 30 years).
I feel for these kind of people ....mainly because no one has spent time to make them feel safe. If your a victim of crime....it is super hard. An the information is hard to find when you have people saying oh don't worry and be happy. They are worried and basically all they need is information on how to live more safe. It need to be a priority rather then an after thought. I although agree with her, if she would seek safe areas and things to do ...she would not have to live like this.

Some of us have family that is unsafe to be around, but rather then noting that ....they live with it. It is not ok.....to be around unsafe people....you need to kick their butt down the street. I had a friend and neighbor who had a meth son....she was between calling the cops for a TRO and trying to save him, he was always over there crying on her shoulder. She was a sweet heart women, but one day they got into fight of coarse, he choked her, she had a stroke and died that day. She never let go and she paid for it with her life. This so called son was homeless and never was charged..because she had a stroke, and could not be provin in the courts. So he is out there on the streets.

I do not live in a bad area in fact my neighbors are cops, firemen, coast guard, and other in beautiful houses,....yet we have the gang bangers that lives down the mountain, ....the two dealers they never arrested. My neighbor swears on her life....we live in safe area...she lives with her doors open. And I deeply fear for her denial, but she could not pick out a criminal if her life depended on it. Do not be that women....is all I am saying. Be aware, know, and get those muscles a little strongier in spite of the hell health issues you may be facing....it is worth your peace of mind.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:15 AM

Oh, I'm just a little travelled, but mostly adventure.

Love the thought of riding elephants!

Made my solo trip for two weeks to Egypt and went up inside the Great Pyramid of Giza ( the gallery) and rode a camel. Went dogsledding in MN in -60 degrees and kept all my toes, LOL.

I think the only time I've ever looked disabled is when I broke my pinkie toe (hobbling for 2 months).

I wake up in the middle of the night and "hear" stuff going on around our building. Caught someone breaking into the bank next door to us. (Hubby/neighbors slept through it). I woke up one night to a scuffle (this was 35 years ago) and kept listening for where it was coming from. There were trees in front of my apartment (facing the street). I finally saw two guys with another guy they had in a choke hold. I saw the victim slump. About 15 minutes later, I got someone banging on my door, saying they were the police. I realized they worried whether someone saw them. I wouldn't open the door, despite the threats if I didn't. I said I was going to call the precinct to check to see who he was. The guy sounded desperate. He asked if I woke up and heard anything; I said no, what the $#). He finally moved off. I felt bad because I wasn't able to help the guy they choked. About 2-3 years later, I read that the plain clothes cops were serving time.

One time I "heard" some scratching. My hubby said, "Oh?" I went where I thought I heard it and it was some guy (in a suit with a brief case) using a file on my first floor neighbor's door (between the door and frame). Needless to say, he vacated pretty quickly. That is after he told me he lived there and locked himself out. Give me a break!

We get fake electrical and cable "service repair" folks all the time.

I have stupid upstairs neighbors over me that buzz anyone in and let strangest wander the hallway.

There used to be a lot of peddlers off the street that would follow people into the stores, on the way home in my area.

I told hubby I was thinking more and more of online grocery shopping. One time (during the early afternoon) I had just walked into one of the stores when 3 gentlemen went by; they were dressed nice, but...got that feeling you're talking about. I took my cart and went over to the customer service desk and asked for security. I told the security guy what I saw/felt and he went right over to the security office and came out with another guard. Next thing I knew the three guys were running the length of the store and out the front door with security behind them.

I even spotted a new security guard recently that was trying to look like he was shopping, but I spotted his handcuffs. (When I filled out the store survey on my receipt I let them know). Also suggested he try buying some food to blend in better, LOL.

I just can't get over that much crime in rural areas.

I do have a link to a website that lists all the crack houses in the U.S.

That, and I think I will have to get in writing from a realtor whether the house was used for something illegal, the area, etc.

As is, the realtors in WI didn't inform us of the fracking going on in the areas we were interested in.

Last edited by connie189; 11-28-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:21 AM

LOL There are three Clint Eastwood movies on today (on one station). The one that's on now is "Pale Rider".
Old 11-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
I think I will have to get in writing from a realtor whether the house was used for something illegal, the area, etc.
this is important.....LOL as I did not do that when I got this house. It happen to be a fix it upper...and a major drug house. For years I was looking like I would kill anyone who pulled up in the drive way....it was not a fun time until I got my herd of GS and gated it. I am in a very nice country neighborhood, but today that does not mean anything. What got me was my neighbors a few of them had no idea the guy sold drugs...they just thought he had tons of friends and party a lot.
Egypt was great about 15 years ago....I went for artist purposes.... worn a total black dress where you could only see my eyes. I traveled with a few international journalist....who where going into the Gaza strip. The only thing I could not tell people I was American....I say no... No I am from Hawaii, ....they say what language you speak... I say Hawaiian they had no idea. We got into trouble...the journalist went into some place not ok??...we got taken with machine guns to our heads..and flown back to Cairo. It was like raiders of the lost ark...I thought I was a dead duck. Stupid things we do when we are young.... I do believe if I was dressed in American clothes I would have been a target major. People in the middle east do not like Americans....today we would have been hung, or our heads chopped off.... it is not a place to travel to anymore. When I travel I never travel as a tourist....I dress as the people do, or super poor. When in the middle east...my blonde hair was dyed black and every hair was cover in black veil. But I tell you I have felt safer in those countries then I do here....I think because I have seen the worst of the worst..as far as crime goes here in the states. I do miss traveling major....I am just not physically capable anymore.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 PM

HawaiiD,

Oh, I initially I was surprised when I got off the plane and saw a lot of rifles but they seemed to want the tourism. That had to be scary. I would have thought if you didn't classify yourself as American they'd have been nicer?

When I was there (Egypt) folks kept asking why we "Americans" like air conditioning and refrigerated foods. (Especially Pepsi, if you can call that a food .

Also the on-going questions on "Are all Americans fat?" (I wasn't obese so not sure why I got the question).

For sure they don't like Americans, but most folks overseas don't.

I just missed the temple slayings in shortly after my trip in '89. I figured it was gonna be downhill after that and I got over there just in time.

Do the Italians still dress half-naked and the highest heels they can get so they can't walk on the sand?

I didn't wear a scarf but I covered up with slacks and a top that covered my arms, etc., (I was the only one that sunburned quickly anyway). And a big hat and sunglasses. No one spit in my direction. (Although some folks on the trip had that happen and they were covered AND had dark hair and dark eyes).

I just try to treat people with respect and generally fare well except for the occasional weirdo that had a problem already.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:18 PM

In a self-defence class, our instructor said when heading to a parking lot----straighten your body-holding car keys in your favored hand(my truck key is long and strong) and walk erect--looking around and WALK like you own that parking llot.

I do believe if we payed attention--to our gut instincts we would be so much safer.
I rarely go out at night now.

One other thing is I understand a knee cap doesnt bend backwards so good--break it if your attacked from behind.Put all your weight into a kick.

And the defense of firearms I became profient in my---Practice---slow is smooth smooth is fast.
I have my favorite and it is my friend.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
I do believe if we payed attention--to our gut instincts we would be so much safer.
Actually this is the best self defense....that voice in your head saying something is wrong here....through out our life we learned to turn that off....but it is protection against danger....use it and listen to it.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:57 PM

At home the best choice for a female is a 20 guage 1100 Remington. Fires every time you pull the trigger (no pumping), don't kick that bad and is very very lethal!

I believe it was Jefferson that said "Those that beat their swords into plowshares, will plow for those that don't!"

Self defense classes are mostly useless for a female. So if guns are out, you are crippling yourself as to personel defense. The next best thing are blades. Take some fencing classes and get familiar with Rapiers (real ones), daggers and short blades like 4 inch stilettoes. Take some classes on how to use all those. Never try to defend yourself with a short blade if you can reach a rapier!

Sticking 4 or 5 inches of needle like steel into an attacker 3 or 4 times while holding him several feet from you with a rapier will generally discourage him pretty quick! However, even when Froggy went a courtin, he carried a pistol as well as a sword

Last year, over in Dayton Tennessee a guy repeled a home invasion from 4 guys with his great granddaddy's civil war sword. I'm pretty sure that when that sabre came out the back of the guy who kicked open the door in plain sight of the other three, it changed their mind completely They were still running when the police caught them. The door kicker however, didn't make it.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Mitch,

When you said get 4 inch stilettoes I first thought you meant high-heeled women's shoes, LOL.

I used to sell Cutco Cutlery (surgical stainless steel knives) years ago and could do one of those Ginsu numbers you see on TV. I got too relaxed with the knives one day and while cutting grapefruit, felt a nick had had a bleeder that went on and on. (My fault). I would go out and ask people if they had a WHOLE frozen chicken and would cut right through it with one whack. It impressed them (it was part of the selling pitch). Heck, it even impressed me. (Never got cut but that grapefruit got me, LOL).

I did go to Amazon to look up the knives you mentioned and:

http://www.amazon.com/Milano-Handle-...tilettos+knife

The GODFATHER blade.

There was something more complicated that had a military look to it. Looked like I'd have to disassemble or assemble something and I'm sort of clumsy (according to hubby). Is there a particular style of stiletto for self-defense? I have pairing knives for cooking but don't think that would be the same thing?

My knives at home are kinda old so that might deter someone at the door, but they're not long enough like the sabre.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 PM

I agree with Mitch about women & self defense courses. And ever since the invention of gun powder, size, strength & fighting skills have diminished value.

However, as a holder of a black belt in the ancient oriental self defense discipline Ki-Chi-Ku, I can assure you that even a tiny female can hold even a big attacker at bay for hours by jamming the first two fingers of her right hand into the left armpit of the attacker and wiggling those fingers real fast while saying "ki-chi-ku! ki-chi-ku! ki-chi-ku!"....works every time...unless, of course, he's not ticklish.