BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Scrubbielady,

Friends are the worst offenders when it comes to making hand-made or custom items.

I used to work for a knit shop (part-time). A friend of mine found out and asked me to make THREE sweaters for $20 (TOTAL). I had to be brutally honest with her.

I think some people don't work with their hands (and their minds, being creative) so they have no clue.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 PM

CarolAnn,

Saw this link this morning on gift items (some made from felt) and thought you might be able to use:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/g...Bf6qNJ#image=5
Old 12-17-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks, Connie!
My company's firewall blocks me from it, so I'll check it out this weekend at my sister's.

I do believe that felting has caused my dust bunnies to come alive and start breeding! Some gorgeous colors arrived via UPS today (ebay) so I'm picking up some Bandaids on the way home so I can play with it! I should NEVER have stuff like that shipped to work. Makes it way to hard to do what I'm supposed to be doing!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Scrubbielady,

Friends are the worst offenders when it comes to making hand-made or custom items.

I used to work for a knit shop (part-time). A friend of mine found out and asked me to make THREE sweaters for $20 (TOTAL). I had to be brutally honest with her.

I think some people don't work with their hands (and their minds, being creative) so they have no clue.
Agree. I sell in the summer at the Farmers Market and find that when one sells things inexpensively, they think that is the norm and everyone should sell for about the same price.

I had someone look at knitted dishcloths and ask if I would sell them 3/$5. I sell them for $5 each and that doesn't really pay me much money. So, I was honest and told them that I would be making less than $3/hour not including selling time and time to pick up materials, etc. They have no idea.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Mrs. Coaltrain makes crochet dishcloths among many other things. She sells the dishcloths for $1 each - says all she wants back out of it is the cost of the yarn. The crochet is her distraction from the pain.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:06 AM

Scrubbielady,

Do you use the new "scrub" yarn for your washcloths?

http://cedarlinn.madtofu.com/bernat-...at-mary-maxim/

Do you know what I think would make a good "yarn" for scrubbies?

Cutting strips of the mesh bags that grapefruit come in. I read a tip to use the mesh to clean pots/pans. I thought, "Yeah, sure!" and looked suspiciously at the bag. But I tried it (tying it into a large knot) and would you believe it really cut through the grunk. More so than one of the "mesh" Dawn dish soap scrubbies that I bought a while back.

So just thought now if you could cut the mesh bags (that is if you eat grapefruit) and knit with the mesh...
Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Connie, I hadn't seen the scrub yarn. Mine are made of cotton. The prices I saw would be more expensive than the cotton that I use now. The link says it is a promotional item .

As for using the mesh, get my citrus in a basket (stepmom sends a box of South Texas citrus every year for Christmas. But any mesh I have found has been plastic and doesn't do well. My grandmother used to make them from onion bags but those are also plastic these days. My Scrubbies are made of nylon net.

As for making dishcloths for $1, that will pay for the materials but if that is all I will make, I won't waste my time except to make them for me or family. Especially would not set up at a farmers market or craft show which would be more time with no benefit.

The big thing with these items is the time I have involved in making them.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Scrubbielady,

Do you use the new "scrub" yarn for your washcloths?

http://cedarlinn.madtofu.com/bernat-...at-mary-maxim/

Do you know what I think would make a good "yarn" for scrubbies?

Cutting strips of the mesh bags that grapefruit come in. I read a tip to use the mesh to clean pots/pans. I thought, "Yeah, sure!" and looked suspiciously at the bag. But I tried it (tying it into a large knot) and would you believe it really cut through the grunk. More so than one of the "mesh" Dawn dish soap scrubbies that I bought a while back.

So just thought now if you could cut the mesh bags (that is if you eat grapefruit) and knit with the mesh...

Wadded up foil is suppose to be really good at scrubbing cooked on food off pans. I've never tried it though.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Well, sort of

I did the farmer's market last summer and made pretty good selling the excess off my garden and cow, also buttermilk bread from the leftovers from churning.
Was set up to go to 4 a week this summer, but we moved away.
Just signed on to bake/cook for a start up cafe. Its my hobby, what I like to do, but now its a job.
Have had no luck selling on etsy or on craigslist. But I'm in the boonies.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM

crackergirl,

I don't know about etsy...not sure if it's a good platform to sell items, but have to research it more. I guess it just doesn't stand out readily for me.

Like a sea of vendors or something and it all blends together?? (Must be me, LOL).

I have had free website(s) in the past (easy start-up) for any items I've sold and that helps.

Making $$ while doing something you like - cool.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM

CarolAnn,

I'd have to be on a job that didn't block me from crafts sites.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM

I give stuff to people because trying to sell a washcloth for $5.00 is hard. I can make three a day, so 3/$5 is a days work for what $0.00. I too knit, quilt, spin whatever to get past the pain physical and emotional. I knit socks also the yarn alone can be $10.00-$27.00 (hubby wears the expensive pair), then someone offers $10.00, nope. I'll wait and then later give them a pair. I also find if people pay they are very critical i.e. self striping sock yarn both socks may not turn out exactly the same. Customer says 'I want the stripes the same' or last time I got a wash cloth from you the yellow was more vibrant. Best yet my washcloth faded after I cleaned my sink with it, I thought they were bleach safe, duh.
Selling a handmade item for less just to recoup costs, really undercuts those that sell for what it's worth. The cheapest I can get washcloth yarn for is once a year at Michael's $1.25/skein.
The best I've done selling crafts was with a private person who staged a craft sale in her house three times a year, two before Christmas and one in spring. She allowed no duplicate items and no undercutting prices. She staged things the night before. She got 15% of sales and each crafter had to supply snack items on trays for customers. It was a good business for her and crafter.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM

susang,

Do you have a JoAnn's near you - there are 40% and sometimes 50% off coupons online. (The site keeps 40% off ones on all the time). Sometimes they have 15% off your total order (which helps if you buy in bulk).

There was a JoAnn sale by me that had two skeins of the cotton for the regular price a couple of months ago.

You can also order online (and use the coupons).

The manufacturer of "Sugar 'n Cream" yarn (Lily Yarn) also has direct sales occasionally.

Try Herrschners.com for sales on Lily Yarn (really marked down).

Have you been to yarninspirations.com? Tons of free patterns, especially washcloths/scrubbies.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 PM

susang,

Just had a thought after I hit the SEND button...

What if you sold another related item with your washcloths with another item (like soap, for instance). You could even hike up the price.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

If you sell knitted things, watch goodwill.com and ebay for estate lots (search 'yarn, lot") and you can get some great buys. Know that shipping on goodwill will run around $15 or more, so add that in to the total before you decide it's a good buy! I mark the things I want, check when the ending time is and bid in the last few minutes, leaving enough time in case someone else is doing the same thing.

I got 18# of yarn there for under $30 - and some was very expensive types including angora and 10 skeins of one color of eyelash yarn. They're also pretty good about listing the fiber type and brand.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Thanks Connie and CarolAnn, yes I get coupons and stuff from Michael's and Joann's. We have a local Joann's, the 40%-50% coupons don't cover things on sale. Usually the total purchase coupons don't cover sale items.
I knit and quilt because I enjoy it. I don' try to sell it anymore as someone said it's a job then. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Another place to look for specialty yarns is Tuesday Morning. Every now and then I find some really nice skiens there. Not enough for a complete sweater but for trim or a doll project.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:15 AM

I know some people don't like Wally World but that is where I get my cotton yarn ($7.97/lb.) and the nylon net to make Scrubbies (.97/yd). The prices at Joann's and Hancock's are too high unless I have a really gooooood coupon.

Wal-Mart also has shopping online and they will ship to the local store for pickup for free.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:17 PM

For folks who do Swagbucks, there is a 60 cent ad on the site.

They are advertizing it in the lower left corner of the screen: it is the one inviting you to find a doctors office that teats low testosterone. All you have to do is to use their search feature to locate a doctors office.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
For folks who do Swagbucks, there is a 60 cent ad on the site.

They are advertizing it in the lower left corner of the screen: it is the one inviting you to find a doctors office that teats low testosterone. All you have to do is to use their search feature to locate a doctors office.

LOL Everyone is talking about Art's & Crafts and your posting about low testosterone? Something we need to know about?

Sorry, just kidding you.