BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Happy birthday Bill of Rights

Our great Bill of Rights was ratified this day and took effect this day in 1791.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Happy Birthday--to our Freedom guardian.
Thanks MoF
Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Many happy returns...
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the reminder MoF. Everyone should take a few minutes today and re-read the Bill of Rights. Show it to someone else and explain it's importance. Many today just don't get it.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Default No offense to OP, but after singing Happy Birthday

Sing now these new words to the old tune:

"So long BoR, it WAS good to know you...."

Above is offered only partly in jest from one within these post-Christian United States of America. Love it as I do, I must recognize that what I cherish is mere memory-- largely dead and buried. The USA that many of us served in uniform is no more. Good in some ways? Perhaps. Bad in others? Most definitely! Just my two........

oeb
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb View Post
Sing now these new words to the old tune:

"So long BoR, it WAS good to know you...."

Above is offered only partly in jest from one within these post-Christian United States of America. Love it as I do, I must recognize that what I cherish is mere memory-- largely dead and buried. The USA that many of us served in uniform is no more. Good in some ways? Perhaps. Bad in others? Most definitely! Just my two........

oeb
Sad but true OEB. Sad but true.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:47 AM

BUT it is/was our job to keep this Country free---we dropped the ball.

This country depended on us and WE have failed her---She suffers from a bad case of me-isms---folks lost the idea of living free--greed and self indulges is our problems.

You can find that in the people WE have put in the WH. Period.

We the People had a Bill of Rights.WE turned our back on them just to get our way .
Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
BUT it is/was our job to keep this Country free---we dropped the ball.

This country depended on us and WE have failed her---She suffers from a bad case of me-isms---folks lost the idea of living free--greed and self indulges is our problems.

You can find that in the people WE have put in the WH. Period.

We the People had a Bill of Rights.WE turned our back on them just to get our way .
Well said TxAnne. Well said.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Your pretty much right on, Anne.
It scares the dickens out of me to think about how all our mess might be fixed and, in the thinking, again realize that there is just no way my remembered USA is salvagable. I'm then really freightened to think of what will likely follow for us all after this country's economic balloon finally collapses. It isn't gonna be nice!
The wages of our collective dependence on somebody else's future will instead presently come home to roost on our heads!
Hmmm, back to the kitchen to can up some more venison. It's gonna be needed to go with those veggies.

oeb
Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Your pretty much right on, Anne.
It scares the dickens out of me to think about how all our mess might be fixed and, in the thinking, again realize that there is just no way my remembered USA is salvagable. I'm then really freightened to think of what will likely follow for us all after this country's economic balloon finally collapses. It isn't gonna be nice!
The wages of our collective dependence on somebody else's future will instead presently come home to roost on our heads!
Hmmm, back to the kitchen to can up some more venison. It's gonna be needed to go with those veggies.

oeb
Ok, curiosity drives me to ask, how might all our mess be fixed?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonolith View Post
Ok, curiosity drives me to ask, how might all our mess be fixed?
IMHO, the nation's renewed, prayerful reliance upon the help of God Almighty, who is our only source of help, is the only way for all of us to fix our nation's woes.
We must remember, of course, that often when we pray for God to move some mountain or other from our path He answers our petition by providing the means to have and use a shovel and wheelbarrow. We'll fix it OK, with His help, but we'll be digging our way out of this mountain of mess for a painfully long time while we ALL work with the tools of faith, Judeo-Christian morality and frugal sacrifice.

Again, just my two cents worth.

oeb
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
IMHO, the nation's renewed, prayerful reliance upon the help of God Almighty, who is our only source of help, is the only way for all of us to fix our nation's woes.
We must remember, of course, that often when we pray for God to move some mountain or other from our path He answers our petition by providing the means to have and use a shovel and wheelbarrow. We'll fix it OK, with His help, but we'll be digging our way out of this mountain of mess for a painfully long time while we ALL work with the tools of faith, Judeo-Christian morality and frugal sacrifice.

Again, just my two cents worth.

oeb
Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM

I don't think that most of us here are responsible for the loss of our freedoms. It has taken place through Executive Orders, the National Defense Act, and the Patriot Act. The list should also include illegal activities of the lettered federal agencies. People voted for members of Congress and a President who support these acts and do not support the Bill of Rights.

The people who are here are searching and hopefully finding as much freedom as one can in modern America. I worry, not about myself, but for my grandchildren who live in suburban Connecticut.

I don't have any answers for the larger problem. I wish I did. The timeless documents our forebears constructed are marvelous. I praise them for their foresight to create the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. We do have natural rights which are not given to us by the government.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgard View Post
I don't think that most of us here are responsible for the loss of our freedoms. It has taken place through Executive Orders, the National Defense Act, and the Patriot Act. The list should also include illegal activities of the lettered federal agencies. People voted for members of Congress and a President who support these acts and do not support the Bill of Rights.

The people who are here are searching and hopefully finding as much freedom as one can in modern America. I worry, not about myself, but for my grandchildren who live in suburban Connecticut.

I don't have any answers for the larger problem. I wish I did. The timeless documents our forebears constructed are marvelous. I praise them for their foresight to create the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. We do have natural rights which are not given to us by the government.
On one hand could it be We The People are expected to vote for wise, selfless, people who put the betterment of the nation before themselves and we have failed?
On the other hand when the Constitution and Bill of Rights were written, the authors could not of imagined things like lobbying groups, super PACs, the need for term limits, and the additional high weirdness going on today in DC.
Without a doubt the system originally devised to serve We The People, became a circus serving only the rich and powerful.
Self-serving tyrants pass laws to undermind the Constitution and the rights of We The People. using guises of safety, closed door meetings, and late night votes with no public input to achieve their goals.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I have to disagree . It is we the people that keep electing this idiots ( both parties )? That are passing those laws you speak of. X
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:

But If I may differ with you----we allowed idiots to be ELECTED--to the above named offices----indeed I hold us responsible for every miserable mess we've gotten into.

We are cowards---if just once millions would march on Dc and have the courage Dr King had--we could change things IMO---
But alas we're cowards---our Constitution Bill of Rights and all its amendments--call for limited gobberment---and a balanced bufget--we are so far off that mark.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I have to disagree . It is we the people that keep electing this idiots ( both parties )? That are passing those laws you speak of. X
I didnt even read your post--at least we can agree on this one.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 PM

During discussions such as this I'm reminded of something supposedly said by Pogo:
"We have seen the enemy and he is us."