BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It's done. Paperwork finished and accepted for incorporation, domain name secured, properly named email address setup, and I've started to contact a few prospects.

Updated my linkedin profile, and about 4 hours later received an international call from one of my past business partners. Exciting potential opportunities there.

BFF - I owe you one for your suggestion on the name. I went with it. Rounds are on me (beer or iced tea) if we ever find ourselves in the same watering hole.

Selena - thank you for all of your pointers, I greatly appreciate them.

To All - Thanks for your well wishes, it's going to be an interesting ride.

Funny thing, if I google "Bigfork Research Power Coating" the first hit that comes up is a link to this thread. No problem there - glad all my posts here are relatively civilized!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 AM

Glad to hear it's working out for you , and congratulations on your engagement!

When you're in the Fortune 500, I'll give you an account number for deposting the royalty checks for the naming of the corporation
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

When you're in the Fortune 500, I'll give you an account number for deposting the royalty checks for the naming of the corporation
Thank you also, on the engagement congrats ... if it wasn't for Her, I would never have been able to pursue this.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
This is something that I'm trying to get my grip on. I've always enjoyed my job, love my career field - but have usually gone for money vs happiness.
You have already made your decision as previously reported, but I thought you might find the following story interesting.

Back a few years now, I found myself in need of a Consulting Forester, and although timber is big industry in this state, and there are a lot of foresters employed here, finding a "Consulting Forester" that was convenient was not that simple. But I did find one.

While out with the Consulting Forester, we stopped for a cold bottle of water and breather. I asked the forester how he got into the consulting business.

He related it was largely by accident. Like many of his friends after graduation he went to work for a large timber company. A few years down the road married with a wife and child, timber prices were falling and the company decided to cut its work force. Being one of the newer professional foresters working for the company, he was on the list of employees laid off. He said he thought is was the worst day in his life at the time, but now looking back, he said it was really the best thing that ever happened in his life. [Sometimes opportunity is cloaked in many disguises!]

The forester continued to keep a little income while looking for employment, he did just about anything forestry related. He surveyed timber for property owners considering a timber sale or thinning giving them an evaluation of their timbers worth, surveyed timbered property for banks considering a loan, surveyed timbered property for those considering a land with timber acquisition, etc., etc, working from a bedroom converted to an office. He said in the beginning he barely met expenses some months, but the family never went hungry either, but as time and his reputation grew, so did the business. Then when he found a short course related to land/timber appraising or relating to forestry consulting work and he could afford the time and/or expense he would take the course.

A number of years down the road he said the business had out grown the home based office, so he rented a small office in the local community and he found it difficult to be in two places at once, (pre-cell phone days) so a secretary/office manager was required mainly to answer the phone, but to also type his clients reports and appraisals. Maybe not in real rapid succession, but not long after opening the office, he hired a recent forestry graduate and began teaching him the business, then a third forester and a second office in the nearest major metro area to their location was opened. Then the original office gave way to a larger office and today, he related employing five graduate foresters doing consulting work.

But summing it all up he said, had I not been fired, I would probably still be working for that same company that fired me, never realizing the potential all around me. So getting into the consulting business was purely by accident on my part, he concluded.

I wish you well and hope your saga when finished has an equally happy ending. And congratulation on your engagement and upcoming marriage also.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Thank you very much for the story and congrats on our recent engagement, Jjr!

The encouragement is much appreciated, as it's been a month since I pulled the trigger and haven't landed a client yet. I originally focused on two small companies, one in the US about 2.5 hours drive from me and the other in China (spent a lot of time over there).

Thought landing some work for these two companies would be relatively quick, but still in negotiations. I expected this, but really thought that I would have secured an agreement by now.

Both companies immediately suggested that I look at being a Mfg rep for them, but that's not what I'm looking for. That type of arrangement can be very lucrative, but most projects take a year to land. Prior to that, all expenses would be out of pocket.

I'm not looking to sell for other companies, but to increase their ability to land business and maintain it - not as another sales rep.

I've started sending out emails to contacts in the industry, expanding the potential pool of clients. I have a lot of contacts, so I'm staying positive that I can land project work.

I have some padding regarding personal expenses, as I've been pretty conservative with spending that last few years - but every month that goes by without income, makes me very nervous.

Cross fingers!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Don't worry Kachad. It takes time to get any business off the ground. It sounds like you are well respected in your field, so keep the faith. If you believe in yourself, the business will come. I understand being nervous about income. My husband and I are both self employed and when the slow months come, it is too easy to get worried. Use this time to work on projects around your place. When business picks up (and it will) you'll look back on this time and wish you had more time to work around the property. It's always feast or famine. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Don't worry Kachad. It takes time to get any business off the ground. It sounds like you are well respected in your field, so keep the faith. If you believe in yourself, the business will come. I understand being nervous about income. My husband and I are both self employed and when the slow months come, it is too easy to get worried. Use this time to work on projects around your place. When business picks up (and it will) you'll look back on this time and wish you had more time to work around the property. It's always feast or famine. Good luck!
Thanks, appreciate it!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 AM

Things are starting to look up.

On the negative side, my original two anchor clients are on the backburner. If I find an opportunity to throw business their way, I can make commission off of it - which is good money. But as mentioned earlier, I don't want to focus on sales.

On the positive side, I had a contact ask me if I was interested in a short project in Mi. I said Yes and have landed the contract with a PO issued by the customer. The job will pay my bills for the month.

If successful, my contact has asked me if I want to work on another short project on the West Coast. That would pay the bills for that month.

This contact is very well known in the industry and has been refusing on the road projects because he needs to spend time in his lab and small production line.

So if things go well, I will be his hired gun for field work. He makes money off the projects, initially he offered a 10% fee for my billed time to a customer. I've "reverse negotiated" that fee to 20% to make it worth his time to sub-contract me. The reason for this is that my target fee for consulting was about 30% less than what he gets for hiring me out. So I make more cash and he gains more by hiring me out.

All I know, is that if our customers are happy with my work, this could be the difference between eating into my savings to survive or getting another corporate job.

So ..... I'm going to make sure our customers know that I truly value their business, do the best that I can do for them, and move forward.

Cross the fingers and toes, heck, this might actually work out.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Congrats Kachad, glad to hear that things are looking up! Thanks for the up date. I know this has helped to relieve the stress. Enjoy your employment!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Congrats Kachad, glad to hear that things are looking up! Thanks for the up date. I know this has helped to relieve the stress. Enjoy your employment!
Thank you!

Yep, kind of funny, posting and sharing does relieve the stress a bit.

I've finished the field work on this first job, we accomplished our immediate objective and more.

I have to finish analyzing the data that I gathered for the original job and complete a report, then we've fulfilled our original contract.

The customer also pulled me into a very high level meeting that they were having with a supplier. This was totally unrelated to my original project there. Turns out that they are having a really hard time developing a product, and they wanted me to screen fact from fiction regarding the technology. After the meeting, they were asking if we could develop a product for them. With the resources my new colleague has and my understanding of their requirements, we should be able to do this.

If we go down that path, I might end up being too busy. It would involve having product toll produced or licensing the technology. If successful, they plan on rolling this out on a global basis. They have 4 plants and multiple sub-contractors here, a plant in the UK and two plants in China. Just so happens that I have trusted talented contacts with mfg plants within 100 miles of each location.

It sounds like this customer wants us to be involved on a regular basis there, so I will be submitting a few different proposals for general support work. Income from this would be enough to live on.

I will also submit a proposal for product development, manufacturing options, coordinating global quality, and implementation support.

If that by chance occurs, and we develop the right technology, I would be a little busier than I would like. It's a long shot, but I'm going to see what the path brings.....
Old 05-21-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I truly hope my company would never be in the Fortune 500. That would be far too much work than I want.

But if I do, I will certainly send *something* your way...
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 PM

Looks like I haven't posted an update for awhile. Probably because I've been doing a lot of networking for prospects and trying to land some work.

Have quite bit of good news to share.

The first client that I did some field work for has come back and has retained my services on a monthly basis. This is low demand, but high in building confidence. I think I have finally truly experienced the satisfaction of having a return customer.

I have a verbal agreement with another customer that I expect to sign the papers on next week. This work is high demand and extremely exciting - the work is focused on a market that I have a high core strength in.

I also have another verbal agreement which I hope will be finalized by the end of the week. Moderate demand, and again in one my core strength areas.

If this all goes the way it's planned, my compensation will equal my base salary of my prior corporate job. With no traveling involved and considerably less work time put behind the computer.

Been kind of wound up for awhile and struggling with the decision that I made, but sure is starting to look a lot better now.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:37 AM

Thought I would toss an update out there:

Client 1: Finished up assisting with resolving several quality issues with one of their customers. The primary challenge was to change the Client's attitude about the quality of the product they provide, and that they have to adapt to their customers needs. Income is steady, and has been keeping me afloat.

Client 2: Invoices to this Client are way overdue. Last week, sent a breach of contract and termination notification. They are in the process of resolving the payment issues. If they do resolve, then this will client will boost income from paying my bills to investing in the company and homestead.

Client 3: Finally signed an agreement. Very exciting, as this contract would both provide hourly support income along with commission, which would be steady long term income.

This just may work.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Thought I would toss an update out there:

Client 1: Finished up assisting with resolving several quality issues with one of their customers. The primary challenge was to change the Client's attitude about the quality of the product they provide, and that they have to adapt to their customers needs. Income is steady, and has been keeping me afloat.

Client 2: Invoices to this Client are way overdue. Last week, sent a breach of contract and termination notification. They are in the process of resolving the payment issues. If they do resolve, then this will client will boost income from paying my bills to investing in the company and homestead.

Client 3: Finally signed an agreement. Very exciting, as this contract would both provide hourly support income along with commission, which would be steady long term income.

This just may work.
Client 1: Steady works continues, significant improvements with their Customers. Should continue to pay the bills for 2016.

Client 2: 2\3 Overdue invoices paid. Severed the contract.

Client 3: First month of support invoiced. Waiting to see if payment is completed on-time (Net 15 terms - very nice). First projects are moving along, and if payment comes through here in Feb, will be heading off to China (with The Wife) for a week of celebration with my Partners\Honorary Family, then sending her home then will work in China for a week or two. If the next 4 months go according to plan, then I will be hiring another professional to support and grow this business.

Things continue to go well, and might actually build a respectable business out of this Dream.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM

It's nice to hear things are working out so well you're "jet-setting" around the world!!
Old 02-13-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
It's nice to hear things are working out so well you're "jet-setting" around the world!!
Thanks!

I've known the Chinese clients for about 10 years, and this relationship looks like it is really going to pay off . for all of us.

Both of us agreed to several points in the long negotiations that lead up to the contract.

1: I would not be supporting direct imports of finished goods manufactured in China, as this would reduce American Jobs.

2: We are looking at expanding their market in China, taking away current market share from competitors manufacturing goods there.

3: I am working on increasing their quality and technical standards to a Global versus domestic Chinese levels.

4: We are working on developing new technology that will benefit both the Chinese and US market.

5: If plans go according to design, we will open a joint venture here in the US. Adding to US jobs, increasing "Face" or "Standing" to the Chinese company back in their back yard.

It's exciting, but short term, the most exciting thing is that The Wife will be able to experience China that a normal tourist would not be able to. My Friends over there know that I am somewhat adventurous, and we have shared many "adventures" together. I can't wait for The Wife to experience those same things.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Sounds like things are definitely going your way. Congrats! You've worked hard for this so make sure you enjoy it. The trip to Chine sounds wonderful and I'm sure your wife will enjoy it.

Isn't it great to be rewarded for your efforts! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Sounds like things are definitely going your way. Congrats! You've worked hard for this so make sure you enjoy it. The trip to Chine sounds wonderful and I'm sure your wife will enjoy it.

Isn't it great to be rewarded for your efforts! Keep up the good work!
Thank you!
Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 AM

The trip to China went really well. First 9 days with The Wife, being hauled around by Business Associates. One heck of a lot of fun.

On the business side, made progress on outstanding projects, forwarded plans, and ended up getting two additional contract proposals. One is to develop a quality audit program to support increased warranties, the other is to spend a week improving quality and efficiency at a pretty large facility. Both new potential contracts came from Customers of my Client over there who want additional support based on previous work.

The only negative thing happened in the Pudong Airport, Shanghai. Turns out some young Man was extremely depressed, and decided to try to end his life by throwing a bomb made out of a beer bottle, then trying to stab himself after with a knife.

I didn't know those details, but the bomb went off about 4 check in counters away, maybe 70 yards. Didn't see the action, but heard\felt the boom then saw a flame\smoke mushroom over the check in counters. Got my heart pumping a bit, but there was surprisingly little commotion and panic. Some people hastily walking away from the area, and some police walking briskly over. A tame response compared to what I would expect here in the US.

After about five minutes, got my boarding pass and headed quickly through security.

Pretty impressive results though, from a beer bottle filled with powder from fireworks.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Wow! Glad to hear the trip went well, but the time in the airport gave me chills up my arms! I don't see how you can relate it so calmly! I would have freaked out!

While all this work is a good thing, are you able to spend enough time working on the homestead? I always find that it's feast or famine, never a nice steady, even keel.

Glad to hear that things are going so well!