BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default D-Link Tech Support Wifi

Hi All!

We are confused and need some guidance on the new Wi-Fi (D-Link) that hubby bought to use with the NOOK reader.

It's a Wireless N300 Cloud Router (D-Link).

He got it connected a couple of days ago by calling a c/s number and downloaded a couple of books from B & N.

He then took the device off afterwards; said today he wanted to change the network name from what they provided (for security) and make sure that the encryption is on and activate WPS.

Now he can't find/recall where he got/put the c/s number included (he thinks) with the directions leaflet(s) but I don't see a contact number anywhere. Not even the box

I have tried ALL OVER their site and forum to find a working tech support number = 0.

He made the mistake of calling the wrong support number and got some outside troubleshooting service that said we have over 6,000 "events" (problems) and there was an "issue" that was causing our computer to drop connection(s) which is true (goes on all day). He then wanted $189 +/- to fix the problem(s). Hubby got off the phone after that.

Anyone know why D-Link has no number (or chat) like they claim...or how we can get the 30 day warranty support number?

We thought of going to Office Depot to check in one of the boxes...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't recommend D-Link to anyone (unless it's someone I don't like, LOL).

Thanks for insights.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Default Maybe try this:

Go to your local high school or junior college kids, explain your problem, and ask them to point our the most notable nerd among them who might be willing to help you out. The kids are better at this stuff than most adults, like me, who've been tinkering with it for decades.

oeb
Old 12-25-2014, 10:36 AM

I don't understand your bashing D-Link - it was working until you went in and changed some setting. And you say you lost the tech phone number. How is any of this D-Link's fault?

Anyway, here is the manual - this should be everything you need to configure the router:

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-60...AL_1.00_EN.PDF

Here are some youtube videos on the router:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0+cloud+router

Here is how you contact tech support:

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-605L

Probably the best thing to do if you are lost in the router configuration is find how to do a full reset of the router in the manual then start from the beginning with the setup wizard.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Default Re: coaltrain's msg

Now what happened to the "like" button, ct.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:06 PM

coaltrain,

We didn't change anything...as I mentioned, he was trying to change something (the user name), but couldn't; needed a walk-through that he got when setting it up/registering that they're providing for 30 days.

If you don't have the paper that had the 30 day service number that came with the package, you're out of luck. I might have thrown it out when cleaning up my papers on our desk the other day. I spent 20 minutes combing their site/internet for ANY contact number listed.

The link you provided from the site - been there before; still no number to call. All email. I sent off a message but no reply - so far.

I even went to their forums; did a search - nada re service phone numbers
or general customer service numbers.

Which is why I'm "bashing" them (aka complaining) and not recommending them.

Seems other people (on their forums) had the same opinion...so I'm not the only meanie.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Page 81 of the manual...

Phone.
Support(877) 453-5465

Old 12-25-2014, 07:44 PM

coaltrain,

Oh, I see now what you were saying about making changes.

Hubby just said, "Yes, he's right".

He also said to let you know he says "thank you". He appreciates your help.

He's going to study the manual/videos after dinner. (At our house, everything happens after a meal).

I wonder if we have a chance of it working right if we do have 6,000 viruses, etc., including one that makes our computer drop the internet (which it does).

Should be interesting.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
coaltrain,

Oh, I see now what you were saying about making changes.

Hubby just said, "Yes, he's right".

He also said to let you know he says "thank you". He appreciates your help.

He's going to study the manual/videos after dinner. (At our house, everything happens after a meal).

I wonder if we have a chance of it working right if we do have 6,000 viruses, etc., including one that makes our computer drop the internet (which it does).

Should be interesting.
Just take it step by step in the manual - do one thing at a time - follow the setup instructions in the manual.

Your router must be working if you are getting on line to post here. That means just the WiFi part might be messed up. If that is the case just try to redo the WiFi part. Remember that the WiFi password has to be exactly the same as what you enter into your nook to work correctly.

If you have a virus in your computer that should be taken care of first.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Your router must be working if you are getting on line to post here
She said the WiFi was for the NOOK, and since she was posting here before getting it, it's very likely it has nothing to do with her internet access
Old 12-26-2014, 01:58 AM

coaltrain,

I just read your suggestion to hubby and he agrees totally.

The problem is that I thought he said the "repair" person he talked to (not a company rep - he mistakenly dialed the wrong place) said we had 6,000 "viruses"; now hubby just corrected me and said that the rep called them "events".

We have anti-virus software installed. But these are "events" (whatever these are - he didn't get clarification).

We have a DSL connection. The Wifi was for the NOOK when he wants to get books instead of sitting in McDonald's parking lot using their free Wifi, LOL.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 AM

OK - all you should have to do is re-run the wireless setup then.

In the manual I posted above do only what I have listed:

1 - On page 9 access your router configuration untility

2 - On page 20 click on the "wireless connection setup wizard"

3 - On page 23 follow the instructions. Enter the wireless network name you want to use in the box. write this down exactly as you typed it. Next select "automatically" for setting the key. Then select the box for "use WPA encryption". Then click the "next" button.

4 - On page 24 look at the summary page. This now shows the network name (which you already wrote down in the last step) and the last item "WEP Key" - this is your network password - write this down also.

5 - Click the "Save" button. Give it time to save the settings and the router will re-start itself.

Then you need to go to your Nook and try to connect it. It should automatically see your network (what you wrote down in step 3. Select that network to use and it should ask you for a password. The password is the WEP Key that you wrote down in step 4.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 PM

coaltrain,

Hubby followed your detailed instructions this afternoon and it didn't take long for everything to run properly. He's just started on reading one of his new novels, now.

We were going in circles for a while. Whew!

Thanks so much.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Glad to hear you have it working! I know I would be frustrated if I couldn't download books to my Kindle!