BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Too Frugal & Related??

I just had to share this.

Do you have "frugal" relatives that just drive you nuts and are an embarrassment?

My dad (deceased) used to offer 25 cents for someone to shovel our corner lot house here in the city. Even if it was 30 years ago...still ridiculous.

When he used to bowl (go back a little further than 30 years) he'd wager - you guess it - 25 cents a game.

My MIL here in the city (92) has been doing her version of this since I've known her (33 years) - for instance, buying multivitamins and going through the whole bottle, then returning the bottle to the Walgreens pharmacy for a - you guess it - REFUND!

She also keeps boxes for all her appliances - in case she needs to return them - someday. And that can be 10 years from when she bought them.

For instance, when my BIL was ill; she bought him (for his household) a microwave. He passed three years later. Shortly after, she asked his wife to return the microwave so SHE could return it to the store!

Doesn't matter if there is an expiration date on returns; she will try chewing out the cashier(s).

Generally she doesn't want us around when she engages in this behavior, but the thought of driving her to different stores with the same game plan was getting to me for some reason. We actually confronted her about it and she didn't see anything wrong.

I just haven't met anyone else that does this....
Old 12-25-2014, 02:57 AM

She's the reason why legitimate returns are such a pain.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
I just had to share this.

Do you have "frugal" relatives that just drive you nuts and are an embarrassment?

My dad (deceased) used to offer 25 cents for someone to shovel our corner lot house here in the city. Even if it was 30 years ago...still ridiculous.

When he used to bowl (go back a little further than 30 years) he'd wager - you guess it - 25 cents a game.

My MIL here in the city (92) has been doing her version of this since I've known her (33 years) - for instance, buying multivitamins and going through the whole bottle, then returning the bottle to the Walgreens pharmacy for a - you guess it - REFUND!

She also keeps boxes for all her appliances - in case she needs to return them - someday. And that can be 10 years from when she bought them.

For instance, when my BIL was ill; she bought him (for his household) a microwave. He passed three years later. Shortly after, she asked his wife to return the microwave so SHE could return it to the store!

Doesn't matter if there is an expiration date on returns; she will try chewing out the cashier(s).

Generally she doesn't want us around when she engages in this behavior, but the thought of driving her to different stores with the same game plan was getting to me for some reason. We actually confronted her about it and she didn't see anything wrong.

I just haven't met anyone else that does this....

When I worked for Walmart---we watched folks buy a/c's when it was hot--then the first cold spell they'd bring them and say they didnt work or weren't blowing etc etc--It in itself was almost funny.
Our returns dept. had to ck these out---most were in perfect working order.
Same with clothes--bought for a special reason--returned with whatever excuse--the clothes were clearly worn.

As far as your MIL--she'd have to learn to drive--I dont indulge in clearly foolish behavior.

In my 73 years I have witnessed some goffy behavior--but it makes the world go around.

Oh btw--saving boxes ? I save mine for different reasons---I have the box this computer came out of----I used it to transport it to the computer Dr.
And in this hurricane alley---my boxes and duct tape---are used to ready my tv's and other appliances for transport in case its needed.

I have a DIL that has a ROOM full of books in black trash bags--I helped her one time to go through them---and I told her she had to do something about that clutter if she wanted my help--book shelves etc---I ask her why--she looked at me like I had lost my mind---it is just the way she is. I told not to ask me again---hundreds of books? Thats great but hey!
Folks to some stuff we may not understand---I just withdraw my approval of it--dont get invovled.
Mental illness? Perhaps.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:43 AM

I saw the same thing at Harbor Freight. I've only been to the store a couple times - far away in a city where I have a doctor to visit.

First time was just after a power outage from a storm - 2 people in line returning obviously used generators. Other time was after local flooding in the spring. Couple days after the flood the guy in front of me in line was returning a sump pump - the pump was still wet.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:15 AM

I used to work in retail, people who do chronic returns get a reputation real fast. If the manager has any sense they get banned from the store, especially when they start being abusive to the staff.

My dad is the poster child for "Penny-wise and pound-foolish." He'll throw away perfectly good canned goods/dishes/tools/whatever one day like he's in a frenzy, but then the next day he's hanging paper towels to dry so they can be used again!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:05 AM

Ellendra,

My MIL here had a top freezer full of chicken breasts that fell out when I opened the door. (Like about 24 of them).

I think they were in permafrost, LOL.

I still don't know why she wasn't eating them (or why so many).
Old 12-27-2014, 02:43 AM

Did your MIL live through the Great Depression? Or have a family member(s) that did? Or other life experiences that affect her behavior? My grandmother wasn't a serial returner but she could never control her spending. Nor her constant stockpiling of food, be it canned or purchased. Wasn't hard to figure out the events in her life that caused her behavior.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM

Selena,

It's confusing; she was born in 1922.

She does the 1,000 ck breast thing, but then buys Omaha Steaks and eats steaks regularly at nearby restaurants.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 PM

yeah, skin a flea for it's hide and tallow. I know a few. When it is no longer honest though, I draw the line. I am sure that kind of stuff pushes up prices, too. Just like shop lifting.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Master Pontificator

I have a couple distance relatives that live fairly close here and they are unbelievable in the things they do. One gets me to cook beans for him in my electric pressure cooker for he says he waste propane and his energy when he has to cook them.

The other one brings her junk to my house because I have trash service, she refuses to pay for trash service. She would bring her remotes and a bag of old batteries and ask me to change the batteries for her, which I would end up using my new batteries in her things, I did it for a time, but not anymore. Now she comes screaming and kicking things in my house when I will not do what she wants. So I put up a sign on my back door that states, " rude, interfering, gossipers, know it alls, are not welcome", so she asks me "are you saying I'm not welcome here".
Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
So I put up a sign on my back door that states, " rude, interfering, gossipers, know it alls, are not welcome", so she asks me "are you saying I'm not welcome here".
Thanks
And, what did you reply?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Master Pontificator

That she is not welcome anymore
Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
That she is not welcome anymore
Thanks
Good Job!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 AM

jeanb,

I know that felt good.

It felt good when we finally confronted MIL.

They know what they're doing... and if we let them... the behavior just continues unabated.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM

I know a woman who shops constantly. She will shop for three days and return everything the next three days. Mostly clothes. Doesn't use them. Shop, return, repeat.
She is very generous and loves to give gifts, of ten expensive ones. Beats me. I don't like to shop, she thrives on it. And when she does use something, spends tons of time checking out bigger, better, more expensive models.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Master Pontificator

My prepping embarrasses my dd who constantly ridicules. I wonder where "shop everyday" will go when the shtf?

I hope my frugal ways aren't an embarrassment. I seldom return anything and my thrift store clothing is actually better quality than I could afford retail. I wash and reuse plastic bags but not paper towels. Well, actually, I seldom use paper towels -- I use rags to clean up messes and either wash and reuse or throw away depending on how bad the mess is!

What dd doesn't comprehend is we are retired on fixed income. While we have savings, there is no replacing those savings so we strive to live on our fixed income and keep savings intact. Heaven knows none of my kids could afford to help us should we be down and out broke.

Years ago I read the Tightwad Gazette books and adjusted my attitude. I find it challenging and fun to be frugal. I try to be frugal not cheap, but I imagine I sometimes cross that line.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 AM

I don't think you're cheap Anna. How you budget/spend is not a detriment to yourself or others. And whether you are working or on a fixed income, it always takes longer to build up savings than it does to spend it.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Master Pontificator

fortunatly i don't have any relatives anymore, but i had known some that were that kind of cheap, that return thing isn't being frugal its being cheap. frugal is being industrious and investment minded, saving money and making practical desisions to get the most out of money. being cheap is being a penny pincher, scammer, or crook, the return thing is a trait of being cheap, not of being frugal.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 AM

Setanta,

I agree with you.

The other thing that did it for me was MIL would order Omaha Steaks via the mail (they DELIVER). Instead of paying shipping, she would want us to "visit" her at the time the steak order was ready at an Omaha Steaks store here in Chicago (she lives in one of the suburbs of Chicago). Never asked for us to visit if the steak stop wasn't involved.

Also, the "visit" would be to schlep her to the Walgreens she kept returning (used or depleted) medical items to.

She's $$ oriented; which is fine, but I draw the line with some things to save a $$. When gas prices went through the roof, we told her she'd have to pay for a gallon of gas, minimum. (We also mentioned her refunding habits). So she got some other relative to do her bidding.

It's all about the $$ with them...(just my opinion).
Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM

My ex-deas'd sister in law was a penny pinching old lady.

My Hubby helped her move----not a cross town either--it was a 500 mile round trip.
For 2 days he worked--leaving his job to do it.

She had a new big a/c window unit she gave him for the move in payment.
We rocked long for about 7 months--then came the call that she anted us to sell the a/c unit
because she needed the money.
WHAT?

That was not the only time--She moved into a senior living complex and they furnished transportation any where they needed to go.
She refused and demanded I(as in me) come take her--it got to be an everyday thing.
I told her no----I had many things I had to do--oh my did she throw a fiit about that one.
Told hubby--you do it--your sister and you moved her here.
Amazing how the calls quit--its the I am family you have to cater to me thing--I dont play that game very well.