BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-26-2014, 02:13 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default VitaMix

Anyone here have/use a VitaMix blender?

I have one that's at least 30 years old. Hardly ever use it anymore.

The problem - the "tamper" gizmo and hitting food (at the bottom) to get the desired effect.

Other people seem to have the same problem.

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer that can work with a grinding attachment. So I am thinking of using that instead if I want to get into grains, etc.

The VitaMix was supposed to "freeze" and "heat" but it's a PITA to get it operational.

Anyone lucky enough to use theirs pretty well?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM

That sounds like mine, and about the same age too. Does yours have the spigot on the side?

I used it to grind wheat for a while, but the flour came out steaming. Figured that would negate the whole idea of 'freshly ground'.

So ours has been sitting shrouded in a plastic bag on the shelf with other Appliances from Hell (those cool gadgets that get used only once or twice).

I find a Kitchen Aid worth its weight in gold. Ours does everything except chop. Recently we saw an ad for a food processor attachment for the Kitchen Aid and the husband has been wanting one ever since.

For grinding, we use a grain mill.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:01 PM

I don't have a VitaMix but do have the grain grinder, and several other attachments, for my KitchenAid.
It does a pretty good job but I usually have to sift the flour and re-grind the larger pieces of wheat.

IF I were just now shopping for a new mixer I'd go with a Bosch with all the attachments.

In the last few years the quailty of KA's has really gone down hill. You have to buy the top of the line to make sure you don't get one with plastic gears. I bought the Aritsian model and had to give it to my DIL, who does't bake bread, and buy one that had a better motor and more watts. It just would not do a good job on mixing anything but the softest bread dough. The next KA I bought was a larger more powerful mixer. So far it's worked very well but still........
Old 12-28-2014, 11:45 PM

I am on my second vita mix and use it about every day. I also have a flour mill. Wonder something or other, I like it a lot, too. The flour comes out warm, too, just right for the yeast, which likes it warm. I see no advantage for cold flour. Getting the Vita mix container for grinding was a waste of money. Maybe I'll try it again, see if I change my mind, It just was too piddly. And too noisy. took the pleasure out of baking bread.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 PM

bookwormom,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use the Vita Mix for (cooking).
Old 12-29-2014, 12:08 AM

Rubyyarn,

It has the spigot. And the handle likes to come off at the wrong time, LOL.

The demonstrator at a crafts show could really rip out those drinks, ice cream, etc. Hubby was mesmerized. I wasn't quite sure...

It reminds me of another show, where another demonstrator was selling a hose attachment (to clean cars). Has hubby ever used it? (Your guess).
That was 30 years ago. I keep storing it in our downstairs locker - "just in case we need to use it". (He won't wash the car in the alley and the only other alternative is the gas station car wash which we use).

I decided to stay away from product demonstrations after that, LOL.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 AM

Ozarkslady,

I haven't heard of a Bosch. But will check into it.

I read that the latest generation of KA mixers are made in Korea.

The one I have is almost 20 years old.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 AM

I guess while on the topic of mixers, could I get an opinion...

I have a combination blender in the sense it has a basic body with different speed settings and "cuts" like crush ice, mix drinks, blend, chop, etc. The vial can be a regular glass blender with rubber top; it also has an interchangeable plastic "dome" (flat, in two parts, that opens up and you put your item in it) so another set of blades chops and at the same number of speeds). The only drawback is that the "dome" is smaller than, say, a dedicated food processor (like a KA) interchangeable (flat) blades. This same machine uses two flat blades say, for cutting cabbage, etc., but uses open glass bowels (two sizes to choose from).

Then there's the Vita-Mix.

The Kitchen Aid - but don't have the attachments - just the bread and mixing ends that come with the machine.

Do you think it worthwhile to move either the Vita-Mix or the multi-use "blender" on and just focus on the Kitchen Aid and getting attachments for it to replace what the other machines do?

Also, a friend of ours bought us a juicer but it doesn't do cut oranges or grapefruit. So would need a KA gizmo for that.

Thanks; been spinning this scenario around in my head for a while now...

Betcha as soon as I move one of the appliances on, I'll need it for something (that's the way it works at my house, LOL).
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM

I use a knife or cleaver for most cutting and chopping chores. A knife is only one item to clean as opposed to 2-3 for an appliance. But I do haul out the food processor for things like nut bread or scalloped potatoes
Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
I use a knife or cleaver for most cutting and chopping chores. A knife is only one item to clean as opposed to 2-3 for an appliance. But I do haul out the food processor for things like nut bread or scalloped potatoes

I hear you ruby. I use a knife and pine board,

the vita mix I use for "magic potion".

toss in green things, carrots, whatever is on hand and in season and mix it up.
Right now I use a lot of grapefruit, 39 cents at ALDI, just take a knife and peel the peel off, but leave as much of the white stuff underneath as possible. I freeze a lot of berries, straw, black and rasp. They go in too. I call this live vitamins. I can tell a difference in my energy and well being.
I make ice cream and sorbet. Canning I throw in tomatoes peel and all and purree.
Cooking meat, when it is done I put the onions and meat juice in the vitamix to make smooth gravy with all the nutrition.

Vegetable soup, just put in the water, the vegetables, soup cube, a slight whirr and the veggies are chopped into pieces for soup. It is not great for chopping otherwise, I hate having to scrape stuff out of the bottom of it. Onions I chop by knife or I use a shredder. I also love my mandolin. I have a small Krupps seed and coffee grinder for things like coffee beans, flax seed.
In summer I make cold milk drinks, especially when I have company and lots of milk. Milk, sweetener and strawberries, or raspberries, or banana.
Last summer I made strawberry 'icecream' almost every second day. So delicious and good for you. The strawberries did really well. When freezing eggs I give four of them a short whirr and put them in a freezer bag, and so on. When a recipe calls for three eggs I just put in four.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM

Thirty-nine cents for grapefruit?!?!