BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Surger "Over lock" Thread ???

OK.... So today I needed to buy thread... I have found good thread works a lot better than many thing in my old cheap sewing machine... I have used thrift store and garage sale Woolworth thread.... Some good, some bad...

At Walmart I found "over lock" thread for a Surger.... It looks like all purpose thread... And what little I have used so far has worked OK...

The over lock spool was $3 for 3000 yards.... Same price for 300 yards on a regular spool... Both are Coats and Clark... I couldn't help myself for the price.....

Is it appropriate to presume the two are basically the same thread ??

I know the difference between "button and carpet" and all purpose...
I also know to stay with what little I do understand..

Please educate me.... Thanks...
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Thread is much higher here. I use those big spools of thread I use what I bought at dime store and yard sales and thrifts. And sew quilt blocks I can see it matters to color. Used on make doll clothes. I used lot of thread then. My machine I got in early 70's I cannot find the $3 spools now. LKike $11 Walmart.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 AM

Wyobuckaroo,

Here's an interesting site on the Coats & Clark thread, as well as the differences in thread:

http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingthr...tsandclark.htm

I know that old thread doesn't perform well (mostly) in sewing machines (at least not when I've tried).
Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM

I know very little about thread, but I sew all the time. Threads have a different twist which may affect your machine. Quilting thread is coated and may gum up your machine. I buy large spools that go on upright gadget for machine. I piece lots of quilts, all material is cotton I make sure all the thread I use is cotton. Synthetic thread is stronger and my cause cotton material to weaken. Oh! and I agree with others use good thread not what is left in from even 80's.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Oh! and I agree with others use good thread not what is left in from even 80's.

Soooo you're sayin' that my stash of thread from the 60's might need replacin'?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Serger thread is thinner than regular thread because when you are using a serger you are using 2-3-4 threads on the machine. Thats why they make it thinner. So if you use it for regular sewing you might not get a strong seam.It might work on a thinner fabric but not on everything. Buy a spool and test it out if you like it use it. And you have to see if the regular machine likes it some machines are finicky.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
Soooo you're sayin' that my stash of thread from the 60's might need replacin'?
Ya, probably not a good idea. However it looks cute in a sewing basket
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Wyo -
Coats and Clark is one of the best brands - I've never had "bad" thread from them. However, the big rolls for $1 found at Walmart and other places - generic - are usually terrible stuff; ok for a little hand-mending but will knot and break in the machine.

I have some antique thread that's just fine, so it might depend on how it's stored & how good it was in the first place. I have some nylon thread that must be BC (Before Carol) - and I wish I could find it today because it's fantastic. The wooden spool is a give-away that it's as old as I am!

The loopers on a serger are also much larger than a sewing machine needle, so they'll tolerate rougher thread than a regular machine will. (Which is why I use regular thread through the needles and cheaper cone thread on the loopers on my server.)
Hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Much of the thread I use is far older than I am (who knew there were thread manufacturers in the ice age?) and I seldom have problems with it. I use it making quilts that I give to the mission in the city, so I just wing it on color.
I can use the serger spools on my newer (90s) machine, but not old reliable (60s)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Complication #2 to this issue... Or would this be complication #3 ??

I couldn't get the color I needed in surger thread the other day, so I got a big spool of quilting thread... It was the same price a s a normal size spool of all purpose thread.... What can I say, I'm cheap....

It seems thinner than the surger thread... But seems to work OK for the kinds of things I do....

Thanks for the info.... See "Sewing Machine Saga" thread for a better explanation or a good "what the hell is he doing" laugh...