BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default New Pump Bill....

OK.... One Friday in the middle of December my pump went out... I got by for the weekend easy enough... Hauled water to flush toilet, cook a little, sponge bath... I knew it would be a short term thing....

Monday morning the pump guy came, pulled the well, replaced the pump, got it all back to useful... No problem... At least the weather was nice that day to have to work out side.... I will have to grade some ruts out of the yard next summer that the truck made getting in and out.... No big deal there... It needed done...

The bill came today...
First thing was the water test the state required... $120 and all was OK...
Pump $650...
Parts, labor, and test all totaled to $1100...... Ouch...

I suppose it could have been worse..
Take care...
Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

ouch, felt that up here how much of that bill was labor
Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
OK.... One Friday in the middle of December my pump went out... I got by for the weekend easy enough... Hauled water to flush toilet, cook a little, sponge bath... I knew it would be a short term thing....

Monday morning the pump guy came, pulled the well, replaced the pump, got it all back to useful... No problem... At least the weather was nice that day to have to work out side.... I will have to grade some ruts out of the yard next summer that the truck made getting in and out.... No big deal there... It needed done...

The bill came today...
First thing was the water test the state required... $120 and all was OK...
Pump $650...
Parts, labor, and test all totaled to $1100...... Ouch...

I suppose it could have been worse..
Take care...
I have to say that professionals cost alot----man came out in bad weather--and worked until he got the job done.

I know that cuts down on your ((mad Money)) lol but you have what you need in the way of water and I am sure a warranty--correct?

There are some that would tell you to hang until the spring thaw--
Old 01-10-2015, 05:19 PM

sorry for your loss WYO. but i am curios why didn't you just do it your self? are you not physically able to? if you are not sorry, but that service person didn't do anything you could not have done. might have just took you a couple of hours more.

not criticizing just curious
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM

If I am reading this correctly - the total being $1100 - that makes the labor $330. In my opinion that isn't that bad depending on how deep the pump is set. It is quite a daunting task to pull a pump that is 100' deep or more.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 AM

Yes... Labor was about $235.... Tax and all for that total..

The pump is something over 120' so it would have been a chore for a DIY project... It was a nice day, in that it wasn't 0* and windy out.. But certainly not shirt sleeve weather.. It has been 40 some years since I have pulled a pump, and the materials, and electrical connection process has changed a bunch...

Yes the pump is warranted... I haven't read it yet, but do have the date of install marked on the inside of the closet door the water heater and expansion tank is in..

Done, over, paid for, now if anything more happens I got warranty to fall back on...

Keep warm and safe...
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 AM
Master Pontificator

The cost of things just keeps climbing and never ceases to amaze me. I guess I am becoming dinosaur. It's easier to remember the old prices than keep up with the mew prices which seem to increase daily.

I can remember when a drilled well in the 120 foot range with pump installed would only cost $1,000 - 1,500. You don't want to know what the well will now cost. But with a President that thinks printing paper dollars will solve all our problems....... It's easy to understand why costs just keep skyrocketing!

Finding a well drilling service around here is also more difficult (just like any other similar service), which also contributes to increased costs. No competition and the price escalates.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
The cost of things just keeps climbing and never ceases to amaze me. I guess I am becoming dinosaur. It's easier to remember the old prices than keep up with the mew prices which seem to increase daily.

I can remember when a drilled well in the 120 foot range with pump installed would only cost $1,000 - 1,500. You don't want to know what the well will now cost. But with a President that thinks printing paper dollars will solve all our problems....... It's easy to understand why costs just keep skyrocketing!

Finding a well drilling service around here is also more difficult (just like any other similar service), which also contributes to increased costs. No competition and the price escalates.

The profit margins aren't changing . But look at labor and transportation cost for the reasons for all the price increase- not the govt.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM

$235 labor....that was a good deal IMO.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:56 PM

Had mine replaced last year.
Cost me $1200 total.
Neighbor is on my well so they paid half.
My pump is only 40' deep so it wasn't a big job but I would have had to take a day off work and that cost more so I let the pros do it.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
sorry for your loss WYO. but i am curios why didn't you just do it your self? are you not physically able to? if you are not sorry, but that service person didn't do anything you could not have done. might have just took you a couple of hours more.

not criticizing just curious
Pulling a submersible pump can be dangerous as well as difficult. If your pump is 200' down, that's 20 sections of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe that need to be hoisted up from the well casing. An acquaintance of mine almost lost his finger while pulling his pump with a home brewed tripod, come along, etc.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
The profit margins aren't changing . But look at labor and transportation cost for the reasons for all the price increase- not the govt.
Admittedly there are a number of reason for prices increases, but the number one reason is inflation and the interest on our national debt. 100% attributed to our government. The debt was already bad enough before the current President doubled it in his first 10 months.

The increased cost in transportation is predominately fuel adjustment surcharges and not increased transportation costs per se. The fuel surcharge on my last months electric bill increased the total electrical costs for the month by 74.11% or added $152.25 to the bill. Fuel prices are killing everyone and everything. We did get a little reprieve at the fuel pumps during the past 3 - 4 months, but prices at the fuel pump are steadily climbing again. Fuel is higher in many locations than what it is here, so for that I guess we should be grateful, but on the other hand the cost of living index is lower here to, so all in all it still hurts the average persons wallet the same, possibly even worse here because of the lower pay scale.

Labor in some cases may be overpaid, but the average person working for a paycheck that I know is not overpaid and most are just trying to survive like everyone else. Considering the unemployment situation around here, anyone with a job is not likely to complain about their meager pay, for fear of having no income at all. We know five individuals that have lost their jobs in the past two weeks and others that are expecting to receive pink slips. [And please no jokes about women and their pink slips, I have probably heard it all before, and if you think there is any humor in getting a pink slip, I can assure you, there is none.]

Probably business are trying to hold on to their profit margins, I will grant you that. Their being able to maintain their profit margins is entirely another thing. But just holding on to their profit margins, a business, like an employee who's salary remains stagnant are both losing buying power because of inflation.

And inflation returns us to the beginning and the government again. It is just one humongous problem, like that gigantic snowball rolling down hill. Most of us are trying to stay out of its path and not be at the bottom of the hill when it reaches bottom.

Being in denial does not change the circumstances.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 PM

JjR, couldn't have said it better. We are in real trouble and to many people have their heads in the sand.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 PM

I know that this is an old thread but I thought I'd post anyway. I grew up drilling wells and installing pumps and have done it on and off ever since.
I live in Va. and I'd had came all the way up to WI and put your pump in and took a short vacation or that kind o money.
Of course I would never have had the water test done as I don't see giving the gubbernuts any more than needed. We do that already. That was something the jackazzes didn't even need to know happened.
As for the pump, $300 tops for that and the rest was pocket money.
Yea, I have never been to Wi. but it would have been nice to seen it.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM

Fabman... Dude, you scamper up next summer and we will take the fishin boat out and give you a tour of the water in this township... Most of the water here is Great Lakes country, iron oar, battle ship in a glass water..

I don't mind.. I've had worse..
Take care..