BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default AA Bright Pocket Light

Hello, I'm Randall and I'm a flashaholic.

I have a bunch of these cheap CREE type, single AA battery pocket lights. They're pretty bright and easily fit in purse, pocket, BOB/GHB/EDC bags.

I discovered a new type of rechargeable battery - a style 14500. Here's an example. Make sure to get "button top" and Protected style. It's a 3.7v Lithium Ion rechargeable*. This battery is slightly longer than a standard AA but it fits nicely in my cheap single AA light. I picked up a single battery charger for about $5.

The test:
I was concerned that the higher voltage would overheat the flashlight so I tested it in a long burn. After 90 minutes the body was up to 107 degrees, which I figure is acceptable.

Brightness: According to the LUX meter on my phone**, the initial brightness was at about 40 LUX vs 10 for the AA battery. After 90 minutes, the LUX droped to 20 which is still twice as bright as the same model running a fresh AA battery.

Conclusion: I don't consider a single AA style flashlight to be something that I would run for more than a few minutes at a time. Single cell lights are excellent EDC illumination and twice as much brightness seems like a good idea. (I use a head lamp for low brightness, long term lighting around the camp). So, for me anyway, a super bright light in my pocket is well worth the under $20 total investment (including a charger!).

* About rechargeable batteries: My experience has been that "regular" batteries run down gradually but continue to put out power till they're completely exhausted. LED lamps can continue to illuminate long after the voltage has dropped significantly. Rechargeable batteries on the other hand, run till their voltage "hits the wall" then they just quit. In my test, the 14500 ran for about 1hour 45 minutes then just quit. Your results may vary.

** My LUX test was done by focusing the light on a white surface then measuring with the handy LUX meter on my BlackBerry phone. The data (40 LUX etc. ) is only for comparison within this experiment. The actual light output may be different if it is professionally measured.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I also am a "light-aholic"...
Neat light... Did you get that on the web ?? Or in a store ??

I check the big box stores occasionally to see what is available.. One light I have been using lately is a plastic cased, 6 LED light that runs on 3 AAA batteries... They are $1 each...

They work well enough, and cheap enough to keep one in every room and auto... And if worse comes to worse, throw away when they quit... None have so far...

Good luck...