BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Dropped from Channels

Hi All,

Hubby has a dilemma...he is missing viewing his favorite channels which our rabbit ears are not pulling in (for the past several days).

It started with some snowy and windy weather last week. (Sometimes that temporarily messes up the signals). Since that only lasted 2 days with two channels now it's like spring outside, a couple more channels dropped.

Hubby even called the manufacturer's customer service, and he did (below, his words

"...TV and converter dropped 5 channels we usually get; we are unable to adjust the antenna to regain the missing channels.

I did several rescans without success; I also did a factory reset which did nothing."

The antenna is about two years old, if that. A more expensive model.

If anyone can help---he's seriously depressed about missing 60 minutes and keeps sighing...

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

You may have to put up an outside antenna

We have crappy reception here too, due to all the 100 year old trees around the house

Anything taller than the antenna will block the signal, and going through walls doesn't help either
Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 PM

I would buy another cheap inside antenna and if that didn't work take it back and get an outside antenna.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 PM

We live in a condo (109 y/o building) and not sure where we could put an outside antenna...(roof, but our association wouldn't allow it).

Cable is waaaay too expensive here. Ditto for satellite.

Funny thing, the gizmo was working right before the storm...weird!

Sounds like all we can do is buy another inside one and see how that gets reception?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Don't know why you suddenly dropped some channels, but Chicago in general has a lot of trouble with digital broadcasts because the tall, glass buildings reflect the signals and serve as "multiple transmission antennae." The multiple signals can interfere with each other and cancel themselves out. My office is at 79th & Central and we only get about 1/3rd of the channels there.

Did you recently move furniture in the apartment? Sometimes the silliest little change in things can alter the reception from an indoor antenna.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Nothing new that I can think off...did move a nick knack from next to it to the other side of our bookcase, (and it has feathers) but that's about it.

It just changed with the weather when we had that two days of storm/winds; could hardly get a channel for the first day and then some but missing two and then more a few days later. Weird!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Nothing new that I can think off...did move a nick knack from next to it to the other side of our bookcase, (and it has feathers) but that's about it.

It just changed with the weather when we had that two days of storm/winds; could hardly get a channel for the first day and then some but missing two and then more a few days later. Weird!
Some of those antennas have a powered "booster"
If you had a power surge, it may have been damaged

With ours, sometimes just moving it or rotating it a few inches can make a big difference
Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Have you tried plugging in your tv and converter to a different outlet? Maybe on a different circuit?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Check with "TV fool" on the internet. It will tell you the stations that you can get with different arrangements. One note: if the station is broadcasting on the low VHF (7-13) you will need a special antenna. I like the bow tie type antenna.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 AM

I don't think we've seen the bow-type one at Radio Shack or Target when we bought this one (rabbit ears).

It seems like we go through them every 3 years or less.

What I don't get is that if it's not working, why are we getting ANY channels?

Hubby just said he heard of TVfool but has to check it out. He spent today working with AT&T trying to get our computer to stop dropping us off the internet. (Another project, LOL).

We live in an old building and are seriously electrical-socket challenged, but he's going to move it near the computer (got lots of wires under our desk) and plug it in there to see if that might help.

Thanks, all!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Check amazon for antennas. Channel Master has a good slection
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 PM

When we used a digital converter box, we had to run channel scan to pick up new channels. When we have trouble with a channel it prompts us to run a new channel scan. You set it to look for new channels or you can start over from scratch.

We do this with both rabbit ears(in our outdoor kitchen) and with the digital antenna on the house.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Hubby has tried EVERYTHING; has come to the conclusion something is wrong with the antenna, so wants to order a new one from Home Depot of all places (claims it has great reviews - $35).

We just need to order online and pick up at the store, if we want.

Been snowing all day, but no wind...the ears here seem to be the same (not all channels but not getting worse).
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Consider an amplified RV antenna. That's what I use here. It's omnidirectional (no need for a rotor) and if you have an attic or just a crawl space, it could be laid in an area less than 8" high..

Mine looks like a flying saucer, a lot like this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-CAMPER-WI...-/131252519881

It would require a 12 volt d.c. power supply to run the built in amplifier. The power goes through the cable so no extra wiring needs to be ran to the antenna. There's a splitter box at the TV end of the cable that feeds the d.c. power into the cable to feed the built in amp and isolates it from the TV. They use very little power. A 12 v.d.c. wall wart can be used instead of a battery. Just gotta be careful of the polarity (+ and -) when ya hook it up!

Might be a few extra bucks but I'll bet that you'll find more channels than you can imagine. Much better than rabbit ears..
*Robert Frost*
Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM

My antenna is hanging in a tree--
I refuse to pay cable/dish prices.

Of course if the wind blows I have to retrieve it from the yard.

I paid for a good one and am happy with it--it's not very big and I can handle it.

I can mount it permantly but I'd have to get a ladder--I'd just soon be able to move it.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Master Pontificator

if you get anything with rabbit ears you are lucky,

i set up a small attic type antenna on my roof, picks up about 15 channels at best. only 9 of them are reliable, 6 are frequently a low signal and more often than not are unavailable. the 9 reliable channels are usually on but in severe weather they go down, otherwise the signal ranges from weak to strong.

i have found that sometimes the broadcast goes down if the tower or relay tower is out, and the weather can impact the signal for days at a time.

this is just a metal antenna, no signal amplifier
Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM

No OTA TV reception at all around here - doesn't matter how tall an antenna. Also just one sketchy radio station gets through.

Satellite TV and internet is it.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Hi All,

Hubby has a dilemma...he is missing viewing his favorite channels which our rabbit ears are not pulling in (for the past several days).

It started with some snowy and windy weather last week. (Sometimes that temporarily messes up the signals). Since that only lasted 2 days with two channels now it's like spring outside, a couple more channels dropped.

Hubby even called the manufacturer's customer service, and he did (below, his words

"...TV and converter dropped 5 channels we usually get; we are unable to adjust the antenna to regain the missing channels.

I did several rescans without success; I also did a factory reset which did nothing."

The antenna is about two years old, if that. A more expensive model.

If anyone can help---he's seriously depressed about missing 60 minutes and keeps sighing...

Thanks!
I just bought a new set of rabbit ears after not having reception tv in our house for several years. They were $5 brand new from Amazon. Maybe it's time for a new pair of ears, Connie. Despite being cheap, these work great.

Edited to say: We get about 6 channels if I have the tv in my bedroom but only 1 channel if we have the tv in the living room. I bought the rabbit ears to just get one channel (it didn't matter which one cos I knew it would be one of the major "news in the morning, at supper time, and at night" type channels). I just wanted tv reception for the 10pm news, to be honest.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I refuse to pay cable/dish prices.
Me too, Annie. Husband's employer pays for our internet cos he works from home here. But the minute they require him to drive-in to work & stop paying the internet bill, our internet is gone. I would miss it but not enough to pay for it ourselves.

Cable tv bill, internet costs, cell phone bill... I don't have any of it. I won't pay the high price. Groceries & utilities are hard enough.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 AM

EarthMama,

I try to be as cheap as possible, but hubby "works" on me...so we split our differences and got a $25.00 Mohu 30 antenna (refurbished) for $9.99 that looks like a sheet of paper from Walmart.

Last Fall we bought a refurbished GPS from them for tracking our trip to WI and it works fine.

Saved $$ there, too.