BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Turkey Season

Anybody else itching to hunt turkeys? Our spring season here in NY doesn't open til May 1st, but I'm getting fired up already. I usually don't think much about it til sometime in march, but I'm early for some reason this year. I know in other places it opens as early as March. Am I the only one daydreaming about strutting gobblers with thick beards and long sharp spurs?

Bob

Last edited by Ithaca37; 01-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I haven't hunted turkey much, they aren't Up North where I spend all of my free time.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 AM

56 days to turkey season, not that I'm counting.

Now for me that's for archery turkey season, March 25th. Shotgun season starts in April.

I bought a new ground blind last fall that I used some during deer season, and I'm looking forward to setting it up for turkey.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Sorry to hear that you don't have any turkeys up north Kachad, they're a lot of....well I was going to say fun to hunt, but It's way better than that. I've got a little shack up in the Adirondacks, and I wish there were a few around there too. There are some up there these days, but none close by. Thanks for your reply.

Bob

Last edited by Ithaca37; 01-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM

56 days hunter88? You've got me beat by a month, but that's still too long.

We don't have a separate archery season for turkeys here, but you can use a bow any time during the season. What blind did you get? I've never used one. I usually hunt from "homemade" brush blinds, when I'm bowhunting deer. The few turkeys I've killed with a bow, were shot when I was deer hunting. Never went after them intentionally with a bow. A blind would be the way to go if I was gonna though. There's a lot more movement involved when you're using a bow. Thanks for your reply, and keep me posted on your turkey hunting. Good luck with 'em.

Bob
Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Can't tell you the brand of the ground blind. I bought it from my local Menards. Which is a big box home improvement store out of Wis, in you don't have any up your way. The base is 6' by 6' and over 6' tall. In my case I set it up in a spot where I know turkeys will be moving through during the day and just leave the blind in place. Our season is 2 months long, and the blind will probably be in the same spot the entire time. I use 4 or 5 decoys and leave them in the blind when not hunting so I don't have to carry them back and forth each time.

I figure I've shot enough with a shogun, so now I just use a bow. Don't always get one, but I suppose it's more about the hunt then anything else.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM

That sounds like a nice setup hunter88. I'd be afraid to leave the blind set up in some of the places I hunt. Some of the boys around here would walk off with it, whether they were supposed to be there or not. I've had tree stands stolen in places where I was the only one with permission to be there. I got sick of giving them away, and just hunt on the ground now.

A 2 month season sounds nice. Ours runs from May 1st - May 31st. We can hunt a half hour before sunrise to noon and we're allowed 2 birds, but they can't be taken on the same day. There are lots of times that I'd like to be able to hunt all day like I do at times when deer hunting, especially with the warmer weather in the spring. Our conservation dept. says they do it that way so the nesting hens won't be bothered, so I guess It's a good thing. It does make me wonder why other places allow all day hunts though, if it really does make a difference.

I give you credit for hunting them strictly with a bow, and you're absolutely right about it being more about the hunt than the kill. I'm the same way with deer hunting too. I'd rather shoot one deer with my bow, than I would ten with my gun these days, and I get as much out of it whether I shoot anything or not. It wasn't always like that for me, but I guess our priorities change as we get older. Thanks again hunter88.

Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

I am lucky I hunt in an area where I don't have to worry about others coming in uninvited. The river blocks off the average person from one side, that is unless someone tries to come in by boat. And on this side you have to go through another person's ground to get to the ground I hunt, and he along with the other land owners on this side let very few in and if they do they know who they are.

We hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset for turkey, deer gives us 30 minutes after sunset. I'm a little surprised at the noon stoppage over nesting. I understand not harassing the hens, but usually you walk in set up somewhere and call for the toms. So it's not like you're running all over the place in heavy cover trying to roust the hens off their nests. I've had good luck later in the day because the hens are on the nest and the toms more readily come to the call. You may be able to sound like the sweetest hen around, but it's hard to get a tom away from real live competition.

When I hunted with shotgun we'd move more. We'd call and if a tom answered we might try to get closer or get ahead of him if he's moving and make a set up. But with archery we basically set our blind where we've seen activity over the past few years and just wait them out. They either come or they don't.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 PM

That's nice that you have a place to hunt where you don't have to worry about other people sneaking in on you. Some of the guys around here would shoot a turkey off your porch if they saw one there, and posted signs mean nothing to them. The way I've always looked at it, even if the land isn't posted somebody still owns it, and if I want to hunt a place, I'll find out who owns it and ask.

30 minutes before sunrise to sunset makes more sense, I wish they'd do that here. I don't like it, but I've had to walk away from more than one gobbling turkey at noon over the years. I agree with you, I don't think we're going to chase many hens off their nests hunting gobblers, but again, that's the way it is here. You make a good point in regard to the hens leaving the gobblers to set their nests too. This past spring in particular, we had a bumper crop of hens, and It's tough to do much with a tom that has a flock of hens with him. Sometimes they'll leave him early enough to give you a chance, but not most days. I've had some luck over the years scattering them like you would in the fall, and getting between the gobbler and the hens, but that doesn't always work either.

I like the idea of being able to hunt a half hour after sunset for deer too. Sunrise to sunset here. That time between sunset and dark is prime time to see deer.

If you don't mind telling me, where are you located? I'm thinking about moving. Never mind, I see that you're in Nebraska.

Bob
Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Nah, too early for me to start thinking about turkey hunting. I normally start getting fired up about it just when the seasons begin to change and it starts to warm up.

Pa is 1/2 hour b-4 sunrise till noon for the first two weeks of the season, then its 1/2 before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset for the remainder of the season. Usually its just too hot for my liking later in the season so I normally only hunt the first week or two.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 AM

That's usually the way it works with me, don't know why I'm so early this year.

When does your season open in PA? I wonder what your game depts thinking is for setting the hunting hours like that? I could understand it more if it was the other way around, and they were trying to protect the hens during the second half of the season when they'd be more likely to be nesting, Who knows? It's interesting to hear the different rules and regs in different places. Thanks for your reply Nickathome.

Bob
Old 01-31-2015, 11:08 AM

Nebraska has some pretty good hunting laws. You can buy three turkey licenses in the spring. You're allowed up to 2 bucks during deer season and if you're hunting in the right place you can shoot about as many does as you want.

Our first deer season starts Sept 1st and the last one closes Jan 15th. Because of so many deer I used to help the landowner where I hunt with depredation permits given out by the game and parks. These were used after hunting season was over and we usually had 30 days, though one year we went till March 1st.

While the depredation permit is more killing then hunting, I was sure tired of deer hunting after 6 months straight. We did a pretty good job of getting our local population down, and then EHD hit. We haven't needed a depredation permit for 3 years now, and I don't think one will be needed for quite some time.

While the hunting is good, there is one big disadvantage to Nebraska. Right around 97% of our land is private ground. So you really need to know someone to get permission to hunt, and what little public ground there is gets hit pretty hard.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Nebraska

While the hunting is good, there is one big disadvantage to Nebraska. Right around 97% of our land is private ground. So you really need to know someone to get permission to hunt, and what little public ground there is gets hit pretty hard.
I guess that's why I endure the MN winters.

Plenty of turkey from mid-state down, and a lot of small public plots that are surrounded by agriculture. But, like I mentioned before, all my free time is north of mid-state.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca37 View Post
That's usually the way it works with me, don't know why I'm so early this year.

When does your season open in PA? I wonder what your game depts thinking is for setting the hunting hours like that? I could understand it more if it was the other way around, and they were trying to protect the hens during the second half of the season when they'd be more likely to be nesting, Who knows? It's interesting to hear the different rules and regs in different places. Thanks for your reply Nickathome.

Bob
Our spring season normally opens around May 1st, and is open for about 4 weeks. It used to be 1/2 before sunrise to noon for the whole season, "to protect the hens and eggs", as the game commission used to put it. However pressure I think was put on the game commission to change that because the consensus is that by the beginning of May, most of the polts have already been born, so it makes the old school way of thinking a moot point. The game commission relented several years ago and changed the season to its current configuration. Allows people more time in the woods.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the season open around Mid April, as by the end of the second week of the current season its too stinking hot to be out there.. Pushing the opener back two weeks would make a big difference on the number of days I'd hunt anyway.

Last edited by Nickathome; 01-31-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Nebraska has some pretty good hunting laws. You can buy three turkey licenses in the spring. You're allowed up to 2 bucks during deer season and if you're hunting in the right place you can shoot about as many does as you want.

Our first deer season starts Sept 1st and the last one closes Jan 15th. Because of so many deer I used to help the landowner where I hunt with depredation permits given out by the game and parks. These were used after hunting season was over and we usually had 30 days, though one year we went till March 1st.

While the depredation permit is more killing then hunting, I was sure tired of deer hunting after 6 months straight. We did a pretty good job of getting our local population down, and then EHD hit. We haven't needed a depredation permit for 3 years now, and I don't think one will be needed for quite some time.

You do have some good hunting laws there. We can take one deer either sex with a bow between Oct. 1st. and Nov. 14th., one buck during our regular (gun) season from Nov. 15th. through Dec. 7th., and a doe, if our lottery system picks you for a permit. We can apply for a second doe permit in some of our management units. Then we have another ten days after the gun season to fill any unfilled tags with a muzzleloader or bow. The northern zone bow, muzzleloader and regular seasons open earlier than they do in the southern zone, but there's no extra tags for it. If you use them up there, you don't have them to use when season opens south. They started a program a few years ago that allows a person to sign their doe tags over to somebody else to use, but I don't know anybody that's ever willing to part with them. Not even for half a deer.

I mentioned earlier that we're allowed two tom turkeys in the spring, but they can't be shot on the same day. Most of the state has a two bird, either sex limit in the fall, and they can be taken on the same day. The fall season used to run from the second week in Oct. to the day before the regular deer season. Now it opens on Oct. 1st., along with bow season and small game.

All in all, we don't have it too bad here as far as hunting goes, taxes are another story.

Bob
Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
I guess that's why I endure the MN winters.

Plenty of turkey from mid-state down, and a lot of small public plots that are surrounded by agriculture. But, like I mentioned before, all my free time is north of mid-state.
We have quite a bit of public land here in NY. A bunch in the southern zone, and and the Adirondacks up north. I was born and raised in the Adirondacks, and they'll always be home to me. I've always enjoyed hunting up there, but there are very few deer compared to what we have in the southern zone. You can't beat it for the experience though, and if you do see a buck, it might be a slammer. I killed my two nicest bucks up there.

Bob
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM

Our archery deer is one either sex permit and runs from Sept 1st to Dec 31st.

Rifle is one either sex permit and runs for 10 days in Nov. The weatern part of the state where there are mule deer has some different regulations.

Blackpowder is one either sex permit and runs Dec 1st to Dec 31st.

The state only allows you to shoot 2 bucks maximum so of those three permits you can only buy two of them, though you could buy two archery or 2 blackpowder if you want. All of those used to come with a bonus antlerless tag, but that stopped after the EHD outbreak.

There are also some bonus antlerless tags depending where you hunt. These are good from Sept 1st to Jan 15th and you may use whatever weapon is legal for the time you are hunting. Most permits come with 2 tags. You can keep buying these tags until such time as they run out, and in some areas they never run out.

Then we have our river permit. This tag can be used within 3 miles of a river, is good for 2 antlerless deer, runs from Sept 1st to Dec 31st, use whatever weapon is legal, and only costs $11. You can also keep buying these tags until they run out.

As you can see you could shoot a lot of deer if you wanted.

I buy a landowner permit. This is only good on land you own or lease. It costs $15 and comes with an either sex permit and an antlerless permit. It's good from Sept 1st to Jan 15th, and you can use whatever weapon is legal at the time you are hunting. I also buy an $11 river permit. This way for $26 in permit costs I am able to shoot 4 deer, 1 being a buck.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

You definately could shoot a bunch of deer there if you wanted to.

I'll have to look up EHD. We had a couple deer test positive for CWD, Chronic Wasting Disease, here several years back. I don't know if the two are related, but like I said I'll look into it. Our wildlife dept. thinks the deer that tested positive here, were deer that were shipped in from someplace else and got away from the people that had them. There haven't been any others that tested positive since, so they lifted the rules they had in regard to testing and transporting deer from that area. So far, the deer here in my immediate area at least, seem to be doing alright. I think we'd have more if we had fewer coyotes, and people that shoot them at night all year long.

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you too, by the way. I just realised that I can see the threads I've posted to by going to my control panel. I had a hard time remembering what I posted where, until I found that.

Bob
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM

We have some CWD at the west end of the state, but nothing on the east end.

If you're looking up EHD, it also goes by the name blue tongue. It is not related to CWD.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM

Talked to a customer today, and he said the toms have started gobbling.Thought that was early, but then it's only 6 weeks to the season opener.