BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default recipes for garden produce?

It is almost time to start the garden seedlings on my windowsill, so how about we share some of our favorite garden recipes?
*My all time favorite is oven fries.
Harvest the potato and clean it. Slice it into fries, toss with oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake in a 450 degree oven until browned (about 20 minutes).

Eat with ketchup, if desired.
*Another good one is onion rings.
Harvest and slice the onion into rings. Make a batter of self rising flour, an egg, and a little milk (I do not remember the proportions). Fry and salt.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 AM

Hi!

If you don't mind, could you share how you get your seedlings started on your windowsill.

Would you be using a windowsill heating pad (for plants)?

I have a sun porch facing west and a large dining room window facing south.

I have a grow light and heating pad for it; I use it mostly to start Caladium bulbs.

Are there any veggies better to start/grow indoors than other?

Thanks; indoor veggie gardening I am clueless, LOL.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM

The leafy greens seem to do the best on a windowsill. And no, I do not use a heating pad on the windowsill, but on very cold snaps I move them to warmer areas to avoid the cold seeping through the windows!

If I start them too early they will die, but mid-February is USUALLY OK!

I also have sarted tomatos by putting the seeds in soil in a zip-loc bag and setting them outside in the shade of the house. When it is warm enough they sprout, and then I ccan pot them up. They might need to be taken inside once or twice, but the tomato seeds are wise and they refuse to sprout too soon! Mostly, anyways.

Tomato plants, when started on a windowsill, tend to get leggy and then there is a set back when they go outside. Starting cabbage plants on the windowsill ussually work out better.

Right now I have a sweet potato on a heating pad and it is sending up sprouts. In a couple of weeks I can pot some shoots up and I will put SOME of them on the windowsill to se IF they do well! Sweet potatos love heat and light, and it may or may not be warm enough for them!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM

It's hard to go wrong any way you use fresh picked vegetables from the garden. I'll second your oven fries Terri. I like 'em fried in oil too. Sometimes I slice them thin and make homemade potato chips on the griddle. The only problem with doing them on the griddle, is that we can eat them way faster than I can make them. I've fried them in oil, but I think they taste better the other way.

I like to make stew with our garden vegetables. Venison is my favorite, but beef, chicken, It's all good. Add some fresh onions, potatoes, carrots, and maybe some green beans right out of the garden, and I'm a happy man.

I'll post a couple more later when I have more time. Right now I'm going back out and bank some more snow around the house. I hate not to use all that free insulation.

Bob
Old 02-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Master Pontificator

June salad,

buttercrunch lettuce, spinach, some dandelion, torn up small, chopped green onion and diced bulb, a few dozen wood sorrel leaves, 1 radish finelly diced and all topped and tossed with honey french dressing (i buy Kens brand honey french)

I start my seedlings on a counter by an east facing window (no south facing windows, only 2 east facing and one west facing window) i use cheap cat litter pans with cardboard dividers, fill with a planting seed starter soil then start a few seeds in each section, thinning when they grow. i water them and rotate them so they don't reach towards the window.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
It is almost time to start the garden seedlings on my windowsill, so how about we share some of our favorite garden recipes?
*My all time favorite is oven fries.
Harvest the potato and clean it. Slice it into fries, toss with oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake in a 450 degree oven until browned (about 20 minutes).

Eat with ketchup, if desired.
*Another good one is onion rings.
Harvest and slice the onion into rings. Make a batter of self rising flour, an egg, and a little milk (I do not remember the proportions). Fry and salt.
I don't know how I missed the onion rings my first time through. I love onion rings, don't know why we don't have them more often. Guess what I'm having with dinner tomorrow? I haven't decided what to have with them yet, but whatever it is, I'm making onion rings to go with it. Thanks for the reminder.

Anybody ever use sourdough in onion ring batter? I bet you could, and I bet it would be good. Maybe I should do some experimenting.

Bob
Old 02-12-2015, 03:36 AM

Terri,

Thanks for sharing!

Could I ask if you used an "organic" sweet potato?

I grew a sweet potato in our kitchen window (lots of leaves/vines) for a gardening contest when I was a kid and won first place (in grammar school).

Tried it again a couple of years ago...wasn't successful. I heard somewhere the potatoes are treated with something? (It's also had to find a root or eye on them anywhere).

My technique might be off (from growing one so long ago).

With tomato plants, we get them in early here at nurseries when it's still cold out and it might snow again. I usually wait until a month later.

I have a floor plant light (with tray) and use a small, cheapie fan that I rotate and let it blow on the plants to strengthen them up. They look pretty good when I set them out.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Connie, great idea about the fan! I never thought of hardening them up that way.