BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Dish going up.........again

Dish? Dang 'em! Our Dish hookup is now $85 a month.
FTWB is looking at AT&T U-verse. Does anyone have it and do the like it?
First year is $29 a month but what does it go up to after that?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 PM

never had dish ,had offers ,we use direct tv with a bunch of specials we have got it done to 88 a month
Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 AM

Ozarkslady,

AT & T has been sending us a "Reward Notice for AT & T Customers" which is a $400 AT&T Visa Reward Card when you bundle qualifying AT&T U-verse TV, High Speed Internet, Digital Home Phone and Wireless Network (discounted).

You would also get an HD-ready Total Home DVR include for life.

Initially they offered a free Smart TV which I thought of taking advantage of for hubby, but after I read the fine print and realized they'd jack up the rates... I cancelled. Then, they sent the $400 Visa Card Reward offer in the mail.

Hubby did have to call to get the rate it would revert to after a period of time, but can't recall the amounts right now or find his paperwork for some reason.

I know it was waaay up there $$$.

If you move, you can take the same service/plan. It does cost to cancel early, though ($180).
Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 AM

I get all the ((deals)0 in the mail---strange--all the different ones the phones numbers are the same from these different companies---I havent had dish or cable in years--I dont play the we got a deal for you game---the rules change and your stuck with it or canceling and they can tear your credit up.

I get 57 channels on my antenna--why would I pay for channels that I dont want nor watch?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM

These TV companies are a huge pet peeve of mine.....

Being stuck home now I do watch some TV to help pass the time.

The fact that you are paying so much money just so they can pipe commercials into your home is an outrage. Why should I pay you for the privilege of watching commercials? Crazy.

But it is a given I guess. I only have basic cable (that is still analog) and a Tivo unit. I have it set to record our favorite shows and can watch them when I want and fast forward through the commercials. It takes ~40 minutes to watch a 60 minute show. And those commercials are just so stupid - are these commercials really effective? If they are it says a lot about the mentality of the general public.

I can somewhat understand when there are commercials on OTA TV - you are getting the signal for free so they have to generate an income somehow. But there is no OTA signal around here in the boonies.

TV is a necessary evil for me now to help pass the time of day especially in the winter. Thank goodness for Netflix - for $8 per month there are tens of thousands decent things to watch with no commercials.

Paying $85 a month for the privilege of watching their commercials is nuts!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 PM

In the city, we get about 10 broadcast channels, and we bought a Hulu box. We also have Amazon Prime. Between those, we can generally find something to watch, although I've thought about adding Netflix.

I'd get cable if they would allow a la carte, but I'm not going to pay for 80 channels to get the three I want to watch.

Unfortunately, our country place is a valley. We'll be lucky to get any broadcast channels unless I put an antenna up on a ridge. We could supposedly get high speed internet there now, so that's an option, as is satellite, which most of the neighbors use. I don't think satellite will be worth it, especially if we can get Internet service. There unfortunately just isn't much worth paying through the nose to watch these days other than perhaps the weather radar.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 AM

Has anyone looked into Sling TV, that came out yesterday?

I have to admit I keep my DISH service,now $100 a month, basically for sports, well football. I can get my local stuff over the air, and it seems like they keep adding new channels there. For me it was almost all about the ESPN channels. I'd miss some of the others, but I could live with it.

Sling TV come to you over your internet connection. For now their opening package has ESPN, ESPN 2, TNT, TBS, Food, HGTV, travel, and some others. They say AMC will be added in a bit with 3 or 4 other channels in the AMC family. You get this with no contract for $20 a month, cancel anytime.

The also have a couple packages you can add for $5 a month.

I figure even if I add the sports package for $5, I'll still save $75 a month.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Sling TV looks interesting - I'm going to wait to see what other channels they add - not enough of what I like to watch now. I already have a Roku unit so I'm already set to get it if/when I want.

I'd like to see AMC, History, Discovery and stuff like that.

https://www.sling.com/
Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM

I'm going to wait a while to make sure they get the bugs out. Once it's been going a couple months you'll be able to find out if there were many problems.

It's missing a few channels I'd like, history,discovery, national geographic, but I don't want to see too many added because it would raise the base cost, which just takes me back to my problem with Dish.

Leave that base package under 20 channels and just keep offering more small add on packs at $5 each. The smallest Dish package is $60 a month. If you could get the base here plus 2 add on packs you'd still be half the cost at $30 and should be getting enough of what you want to be happy.

If things look good I'll probably pull the trigger come summer. That's the time of year I watch the least amount of TV. So if I'm going to lose a few channels, I won't notice it as much by making the change then. And by the time winter comes again, I should be used to not having them, so I shouldn't miss them as much.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:46 PM

I like the way they are starting out with this - small channel packages for $5.

One thing that remains to be seen is how much advertising will be on these channels - wonder if it will be different than the horrible amount of mind numbing commercials that are on the satellite and cable channels.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I like the way they are starting out with this - small channel packages for $5.

One thing that remains to be seen is how much advertising will be on these channels - wonder if it will be different than the horrible amount of mind numbing commercials that are on the satellite and cable channels.
I'm guessing it won't be much different. Basically just live TV without some of the options cable or satellite give you with DVR. I've never had DVR capabilities with my satellite so I won't miss anything if sling doesn't work that way, which I read in some cases it doesn't.

Coaltrain check your PM had a roku question for you.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:40 PM

Football!!!!! That's been the only regret from getting rid of my Direct TV. I missed an awful lot of football this past season and it made me sad. Not sad enough, however, to pay eighty a month all year long just to see football for a few months. I keep hoping that some day eventually NFL will be accessible over the internet. I do get a few OTA channels and could probably get more if I moved my antenna from the attic to a tower. I get my local news and weather, and that's about all I want from network tv.
We have a Roku, Netflix, and Amazon prime and it's all good. I pay seventy a month for unlimited internet and burn through almost 200 gig a month. Aside from football, there's no reason to add a tv bill back on top of that. Getting the Roku was a good investment.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Aside from football, there's no reason to add a tv bill back on top of that.
That's why Sling TV interests me. I can get the NFL on over the air channels, no problem there. But if college football interests you, ESPN is a must. If I can do a base package of $20, add a $5 sports package, and get all the ESPN channels I need, that will be much better then a $100 a month satellite bill.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM

I think the satellite and cable TV companies are really scrambling right now. I honestly believe almost all TV content will be available over the internet before long. Of course satellite TV and internet will still be the only choice for some of us in the boonies.

I'm very fortunate to have high speed cable internet/TV. The only reason I have it is the former owner of Adelphia Communications used to live in the next town over and wanted all his neighboring hick towns and areas to have his cable. Before that it was satellite TV and internet.

I don't watch any sports, but the internet and TV have become almost necessary since I am stuck home now. I love to read but after 3-4 hours that is enough. I just watch TV to help pass the time.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Direct TV is also going up this month. We have not seen the new bill yet. It is bundled in with our landline and my DSL for the internet. I already told the hubby to make a list of what channels he watches so I can tweek his package. So far he has not done this for me. When he hears me ranting and raving when I open the bill, maybe he will wake up then.