BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default anyone here sew leather?

got a leather belt that all the stitching has rotted out and it fell apart, it's a gun belt, need the bullet loops sewed back on, and the double belt part sewed back on also. anyone here has the time & the machine to do it, I'll send you the belt and your money in the mail.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 PM

I don't do the work you need. It takes a special machine. A shoe repair shop should be able to do the work for you. If you have trouble finding a good one, look for a shop that specializes in repairing cowboy boots.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM

Are there already holes in the leather where it was sewn before? Perhaps you can make temporary repairs using a needle and dental floss until you can find someone to do a proper job.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Unhappy

I forgot about using dental floss, that might do just right, it would be very similar to the type of thread that was in the belt before, the rest of the leather is in excellent shape its a "hunter" brand, I don't know why the stitching gave out, it fell apart like it was being dissolved like paper in water.

two local leather repair places, that cater to the cowboy wannabe crowd, and the rodeo crowd, don't want to work on it because it's a gun belt.

made me mad, I called one place called 'dukes', told them what I had, a leather gun belt, got terrible directions to their place, wasted an hour going there, to find out that they don't want to work on it cuz its a gun belt.

go figure, the ladies at the local quilt store, have a bunch of silly foo foo girly nonsense in their store, but offered to sew it up for me and were very willing to do so, but found that their machine is not capable of showing through that thick of leather, and they don't have thread of the proper size or quality. But they were the ones who were willing to do it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:29 PM

Hi,

A shoemaker I think could do it for you (and not cost much). (Their machines do purse leather, boot leather, soles, etc.) I've had leather items repaired at shoe shops that I couldn't work by hand.

I've sewn with leather on my sewing machine, but not that thick.

There are three-sided needles that you can try hand-stitching with (check website link, below).

Also, Tandy Leather Company is a good source for tools and appropriate stitching thread and hand needles:

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/...g/1202-05.aspx

I've also used upholstery needles (sometimes a curved needle works better). Upholstery needles come in different lengths/curves to a pack.

A JoAnn's or Michael's craft store usually carries Tandy/leather products.

"...foo foo girlie nonsense?" Hey!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 PM

sethwyo,

Just checked my stash; I have an extra hand sewing leather needle (three-sided) that I can send you. Just feed through your thread at the eyelet and start seweing.

If you are interested, let me know your address; will send it out to you.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 PM

I made a trip to the local dollar store today, picked up a 7 pack of homeworker needles that are what I need, I have not been able to find a large heavy duty thread that I need yet, so I may go ahead and use the dental floss.

after the Mancho Cowboy stores refused to work on my gun belt, I did not think the quilt shop would do it, but the women there didn't seem to care, the only thing they were interested in was it it was something broken that needed to be fixed.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 AM

Sounds good! If you need the needle, let me know.

Would the "thread" or stitching be made of leather? It might have had some stress and wore it down. (Happened to one of my watches that had a woven leather strap). A watch repair person said it was expected with "wear and tear" (where you take it on and off at the buckle). Still looking for another leather band (that's another story).
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 PM

SethWyo-
There's a lot of youtube videos on how to hand stitch leather. It's not like hand-sewing on cloth, as you make the thread (cord) about twice as long as you think you'll need, then string a needle on BOTH ends of the thread. One needles goes through the hole from the left, and the other goes through the other way and you pull it up, even the sides and repeat on the next hole. It gives you twice the stitching strength. Here's one I found, not the best one, but it might explain it better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8_8wD_mnc

I just got some waxed cord for leather sewing. It's brown and kind of "leather colored" but I think you could use several strands of heavy quilting thread - the heaviest thread you can get through the eye of your leather needles.

Another thing I've discovered - waxing thread makes it stronger, but you don't have to buy special wax. If you don't have an old candle or paraffin from a jar of jelly, you can even use chapstick. I buy the kind that's two for a buck at the dollar store and it works great to wax my thread.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Artificial sinew is the way to go. I do a small amount of sewing this works well for me
Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 AM

thank you everyone for your advice
Old 03-22-2015, 01:53 AM

Smile

While working on this project I rediscovered a much better way of putting bullet loops on a pistol belt then by sewing, I had an old cartridge belt tucked away in storage that instead of having the leather loops sewed to the leather , it has its leather loops, in the form of a long uniform cut strip of leather loop through slots that are cut in the belt. This is probably a very old way of making a cartridge belt, probably one of the oldest ways of making a cartridge belt, and it certainly is much more durable then the method of showing using needle and thread, the slots are about a half inch long about a 16th of an inch wide and spaced around three eighths of an inch apart. the leather strip makes up the cartridge loops carefully tucked through each slot to a uniform length to securly hold the cartridge.
I think that I will put some of these slots after making some carefully measured marks so that it stays uniform in my gun belt, and 20 years from now I know this method will still be working on this cartridge belt whereas even dental floss, or what other ever other type of thread is used could tear away or give away once again.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Master Pontificator

Just for information Tandy leather is a great place to get information and products for leather. You may want to give them a call next project or contact them via the web email. I work in leather but yet to sew some of it....sorry I could not help you on this one. But I have all kinds of hole punches for leather...so you can push a leather needle through it. I do have a large purse and carry bag I have planning to make...but I have books to read to figure the whole thing out.