BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 PM

Default BATF to ban M855 ammo.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...mon-ar-15-ammo

M855 today.....tomorrow anything FMJ.......the day after that, who knows.....
Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Default Green Tip is Available

Nickathome,

Great post. After I read your post I went immediately to "Cheaper Than Dirt" and looked at M855-SS109, Green Tip availability. They still have Green Tip for sale, but my guess is by early next week it will be as scarce as .22 Long Rifle. Right now, you can buy a thousand rounds of high quality Lake City M855 for $400.00. That's just under 50 Cents per round. Anyone want to bet the price doubles over the next month? I cannot remember one Green Tip related homicide to date, but that won't stop the powers to be. This isn't about crime control at all.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

That's why we have a shortage of ammo !!! People going nuts based on "maybes" .
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 AM

There are two threads with the same title and the same OP

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...756#post407756

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...771#post407771

How to comment – from the BATFE

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments. Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):

ATF email: APAComments@atf.gov

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Denise Brown, Enforcement Programs and Services, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226; telephone: (202) 648-7070.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM

There have been quite a few maybes lately Missouri Free. Obummercare was a maybe, 1968 GCA was a maybe, NY Safe Act was a maybe, Long gun reporting in border states was a maybe. The mere threat or suggestion of rights debasement is enough to cause me to have an alarmist reaction. One of the reasons I strive for self sufficiency is due to the many maybes out there. SS109 will be non-existant in 2 weeks. A local gun store nearby my house was cleaned out of SS-109 today in a few short hours.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM

Well I was thinking of buying a .223 for a predator rifle. But clearly enough people will be spooked and start snapping up any .223 ammo they can get and there will be a shortage there just like the .22LR.

Guess I'll save my money.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 AM

Well, I thought it would take week or two for M855 to disappear, but it's already gone. Cheaper than dirt and the other big suppliers were bought out yesterday. Ammo that was 48 cents a round yesterday is already 70 cents today. Amazing. Makes me wonder if regular hard ball will be bought up soon as well.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 PM

Yep. Gone. I went to my local Wal-Mart today and swung by the ammo case. They normally have a few of the green box M855 ammo. Not now. All Gone. They still had plenty of the federal 100 round packs, and some black box American Eagle. I bought a box of the Federal 100 round packs. Call me an alarmist or panic buyer, but I saw what happened with .22LR after Newtown. I'd rather "a bird in the hand" as they say.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM

My question is, why would the PBATF ban this round to start with?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
My question is, why would the PBATF ban this round to start with?
If they can't ban the AR start trying to ban the ammo in any form that you an.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
If they can't ban the AR start trying to ban the ammo in any form that you an.
Oh, I understand that.. I also know, they would like to ban everything from .22 to 300. I know too, they are using the LEO safety act to justify themselves.

But why now, with a round that has not been used for that purpose. Does seem strange after 20 . Years
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM

I don't know enough about this to speak intelligently, but have been doing some reading. From what I've read it seems this might be the reason.

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/18/under...-on-m855-ammo/

Quote:
Green tip ammo, comprised of M855 cartridges and SS109 bullets, is standard military ammo for use with the M16 rifle and its civilian equivalent, the AR-15. However, since Congress wrote the law 29 years ago, AR-type rifles chambered in 5.56mm have gained tremendous popularity among sport shooters and gun makers began producing AR pistols for consumer consumption, which by default alters the legal classification of green tip ammo to armor piercing status.
As I said I don't know enough about it, but I've seen more then one person say, if you're gong to poke the bear you have to expect it to react. I've read more then one person say they felt some were thumbing their nose at the ATF with the AR15 rifle/pistol, and this is just the ATF poking back. Not sure if that is the case, just something I've read.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
gun makers began producing AR pistols for consumer consumption, which by default alters the legal classification of green tip ammo to armor piercing status.
They started making those pistols around 1993, and the ATF gave this ammo an "exemption".

They aren't changing any laws.

They are taking away the exemption, for no real logical reason.

Technically it doesn't even meet the legal definition of "armor piercing" ammo

It's BO and his "under the radar" gun control
Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Which I think was the position from some of the people I was reading about.

Quote:
“The timing is such that ATF continues to receive numerous requests for exemptions,” she said, adding between 1986 and 2011 the ATF received only a few requests to exempt armor piercing ammo for sporting purposes, but in the years after the number of requests jumped. “Since 2011, ATF has received approximately 30 such exemption requests,” she said.
I assumed this is what was meant by poke the bear and you have to expect it to react. For years it hadn't been a big thing, but starting around 2011 things changed.

As I told the guy in the pawn shop the other day, he's made more money selling guns and ammo while Obama has been in office then the last 4 Presidents put together. He admits he has a love hate relationship with the man. Doesn't like him, but he's sure been good for business.

Again I'm not up on all the intricacies of the laws, so I'm kind of reading between the lines when I read what some people are posting on other sites.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I assumed this is what was meant by poke the bear and you have to expect it to react
I think the increase in exemption requests is simply due to new non-lead projectiles being developed, and more sources of MIL-SURP becoming available

The "poke the bear" talk I've heard is referring to the controversy over the
Sig "Arm Brace" that can be used as a shoulder stock on an AR-15 pistol, which effectively turns it into a "short barreled rifle" which is an NFA controlled firearm

Idiots on Youtube did most of the "bear poking", causing ATF to issue a statement saying anyone caught firing the guns from the shoulder would be charged with illegal possession of an SBR
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
The "poke the bear" talk I've heard is referring to the controversy over the
Sig "Arm Brace" that can be used as a shoulder stock on an AR-15 pistol, which effectively turns it into a "short barreled rifle" which is an NFA controlled firearm

Idiots on Youtube did most of the "bear poking", causing ATF to issue a statement saying anyone caught firing the guns from the shoulder would be charged with illegal possession of an SBR
That may well be what it was. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.