BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
If your county has a "GIS" system, you should be able to pull up a sattelite view with the property lines overlayed, so you can tell where it "should" be based on current visible landmarks
Be cautious with this.

Some GIS property lines are reasonably good.
Other GIS property lines, even in the same county, might be wrong by 100 ft or more.

Unfortuately there is no good way for the typical property owner to tell the difference.

Your best option for finding existing survey stakes is to convert the survey data into an approximate GPS coordinate for each property corner. Then you could use a GPS or smartphone to go to each coordinate and look for your stake. If the stake is rebar then the top of the rebar tends to get covered with leaves, grass, dirt, etc. In this case you will need a metal detector. But at least the GPS coordinates will get you close.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Be cautious with this.

Some GIS property lines are reasonably good.
Other GIS property lines, even in the same county, might be wrong by 100 ft or more.
Around here the GIS maps are taken directly from survey maps, and tend to be very accurate.

If you have an actual survey map to compare to the GIS, it should be quickly evident if they are a close match
Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Yes, I have some maps just like that for property I bought, but it's really no help if you don't know where one or two of the stakes are located.

If your county has a "GIS" system, you should be able to pull up a sattelite view with the property lines overlayed, so you can tell where it "should" be based on current visible landmarks

GIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geograp...rmation_system
Thanks for that. Took a look - most counties in my state have GIS maps on-line but mine doesn't. Doesn't surprise me much as the same goes for the flood maps - nothing - had a hard time when fighting with the flood insurance company.

Maybe a stop at the courthouse will give me something I can use.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 AM

I found my markers quite a while ago, forgot about this thread, sorry. I ended up using my medal detector and pacing off from the known markers. The metal stakes were still in place. Glad I did, ended up having more property than I thought.

Thanks for all the good information! Should come in handy when I buy more property.